News: Uruguay's AUF lashes againts Copa America and USA's futbol.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by El CHarro_NEgro...., Jun 7, 2016.

1. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    It does... unless the USA loses tomorrow and misses the knockout round. Then everybody east of Salt Lake City and north of Charlotte (in other words: most of the population of the USA) winds up disappointed because the team wasn't within a thousand miles of them. From MY PERSONAL standpoint, it still would be disappointing even if we made the knockout round, since Salisbury Maryland is still over 800 miles from the closest city in your scenario, Chicago.

The bottom line is, you can't make everybody happy. And I think the way they scheduled it already has the greatest possibility of equity.

2. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That game was, well, a...snapshot, let's say.

3. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ticket prices are not making the US look good for an upcoming World Cup bid. Of course a WC has more appeal than a Copa America, especially with casual and non-soccer fans.

FOX has been as expected with their coverage, a lot of work to do before 2018 Russia.

Uruguay is upset with the anthem and rightfully so. However, they knew Mexico would be the home team in this tournament. I also think they're overrated without Suarez.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they did not like it so much that they decided to go home early.

kennytt, Burr, ATLfirefan and 4 others repped this.
  5. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    To be rightfully upset is one thing. Damn, I"M upset because the organizers / we have invited criticism. But Uruguay, despite sometimes being the adorable bad boy, have handled it without class. Their paranoia and indignation is hardly the stuff of poetry.

6. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am 100% confident that if we hosted a WC and kept ticket prices the same as this tournament they would sell out faster than any WC in history. For being organized at the last minute I'm impressed by how many people have been actually showing up and the average attendance is on pace to be higher than many recent editions of the CA.

7. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Their fans throw urine and stuff at our players/fans and we're supposed to wave pompoms when they play because it might make our region look better. F OFF. You could count on 1 hand how many Brazilians rooted for Argentina to beat Germany in order to uphold S Americas honor against Europe.

Uruguay are classless whiners but they should have been treated better with the travel.
    Mexico should've been forced to have that travel. It's the least they could do with all the money they make up here.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Last night's loss had zero to do with travel. Uruguay looked horrible.

jackiesdad repped this.
  9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If my Uruguayan classmate from grad school is anything to go by... yes. yes it is.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  10. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your two sentences do not follow. One reason why they might have looked horrible, is because the travel caused them not to feel in top shape.

But I am not overly concerned about life being to hard for these teams.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The only thing that matters is winning, no matter how. And Jurgi should know that well, he was a known diver (à la Robben) back in the day.

12. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hated that Fox grabed the rights, but the WWC was pretty well done. Hopefully they fix the aduio/video lag that has cropped up in some games, that is my biggest gripe.

I would have much preffered NBC, their PL coverage is excellent, but Fox has time. They recognized Gus Johnson wasn't good, trying new announcers, looking at new ways to showcase the game, and are giving ample promos and recap time, plus Rob Stone isn't that bad.

All in all, they are trying, but who knows what they will be like in 2 years.