upcoming NPSL referee clinics

Discussion in 'Referee' started by msilverstein47, Apr 13, 2018.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NPSL Announces Advanced Referee Courses

The National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) is pleased to announce a spring series of advanced referee courses that are designed to prepare officials for the upcoming season. These courses, led by NPSL Director of Officials Paul Scott, will be held in Nashville, TN (April 14), Kalamazoo, MI (April 21), and Hartford, CT (April 28). The series is sanctioned by the United States Adult Soccer Association (USASA).

“I am quite excited to introduce this new initiative by the NPSL,” Scott said. “During my time at CONCACAF, it was impressed upon me that in order for the game to grow, the referees must also grow. This tenant applies to our league as well.”

Scott wears many hats in the soccer referee community. Not only is he the Director of Officials for the NPSL, but he is a US Soccer National Referee Coach, a lead clinician for coaching the coaches, Coordinator of Officials for two college conferences (WAC and RMAC), assessor for PRO, and an instructor for the NCAA. In his home state he serves on the referee committee to facilitate the development of local referees. In his career as a professional soccer referee, Scott did the MLS Cup Final, MLS All-Star Game, U.S. Open Cup final, NCAA Division I men's and Division II women's finals, and NAIA men's final. He was selected as the 2014 MLS Assistant Referee of the Year and is in both the NISOA and Oklahoma Soccer Association Hall of Fames.

“Our teams cover the length and width of this country, playing the game at a high level,” Scott added. “During this past year, I have had conversations with US Soccer, state associations, and referee coaches about the challenges our league presents to referees. From these talks, I realized we need to contribute in a meaningful way in the training of the officials if we want our product to improve. Just like the players, we are going to review video and then run drills on the pitch to reinforce what was covered in the classroom. After all, the referees are the third team on the field.”

The cost of the course is $70 for those that preregister and $85 at the door. Referees who are assigned and officiate five NPSL league or postseason games are eligible to have the fee reimbursed. Additionally, any profits from these courses will go to support the NPSL’s referee initiatives. Emeritus referees who are assessors or instructors may register for free but are needed to assist in coaching during the field sessions. Registration for an assessor or instructor will be $15 at the door. Registration can be completed online at https://goo.gl/cnuArq.

“Prior to this initiative, only the MLS invested resources into US Soccer’s referee program,” Scott concluded. “This new initiative is yet another example of the status our league holds within the soccer community. I am looking forward to working with grassroots officials to grow the game and our league.”

tomek75 repped this.