UnitedMania Podcast Reunion Show: Hong Kong Phooey

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [British Accent]Jolly good show, I say![/British Accent]

Please don't wait another year to do this again.

GumbyG and Rick77 repped this.
  2. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great show with a little rust showing.:)

For one thing, MLS currently has 23 teams, not 21. When FC enters in 2019 the League will go to 24. Two other teams, Miami and Nashville, have already been added to the League but will not start play until 2020 or 2021.

United was clearly not ready to open the stadium on time. For example, the openings in the roofs were not meant to be left open and they will be closed for next season so more of the crowd will not be rained on.

As for the team, United still has problems with having another dependable striker up front. Also, the center backs are below average in MLS. They were shielded by the work of Canouse in front of them and Hamid behind them. I am also not sold on Moreno and Segura. I thought Segura, in particular, was below average. He was a black hole on offense, couldn't cover space and constantly made poor decisions with the ball in the attacking third.

My Christmas wish list for United includes:

1. A second Striker to take some of the load off Rooney
    2. A backup for Acosta - someone who can run the team in midfield
    3. A Center back to replace Brilliant
    4. A left back or fullback (who can actually defend) that can play either side

I loved hearing you take on a number of issues. If you guys can't or don't want to go to a regular weekly format like old times, can you go monthly during the season? That would commit you to only10 shows for the whole year but would make your analysis and comment more timely.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Something weird showed up in my podcast feed.

sitruc repped this.
  4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was probably it! :D

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    An hour and 40 minutes into it I realized I needed to update what podcasts get automatically downloaded and added to my playlist.

6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Thanks guys. A pleasure, sort of like meeting up with friends you haven't seen for too long -- and Mike too.:)

7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey now!!! As one of Mike's three fans I might have to take umbrage with that statement........................:D

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    When did Randy get so angry?

fatbastard repped this.
  9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The best thing is that they keep track of the US Mens team so I don't have to.

Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    He sits next to Mike. That's enough...

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol - I haven't been able to finish listening, I was wanting to throat-punch Randy so I turned it off - usually I like his balance with Mike - but he was making me want to take Mike's points too seriously :)
    I figured I just need the guys to do more episodes so I can re-acclimate myself to the dynamic :) Either that or a tailgater at one point killed Randy's pets and he's still really mad.
    Maybe I'll try again this afternoon.

I forgot how much I miss Martin (first name, not last :))

dadman, JoeSoccerFan and Winoman repped this.
  12. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Maybe the pets were part of Martin's "litter."

13. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great show. Really hope you guys decide to do far more in 2019.

14. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen! My corollaries would be:

I'd like Acosta's backup to be dynamic enough that we're tempted to rotate the triangle just to get them on the field when that's tactically sound. Canouse, Arriola, Acosta are all on display and impressing, and all would leave a pretty big hole in the depth chart if one left that would have ramifications beyond their preferred positions. Someone with the lungs to play an offensive-minded 8 would provide insurance and probably net them additional playing time.

I'm actually OK keeping both Opare and Brillant for another year, but if we dump one, it should probably be Opare. The way we play now doesn't really favor one over the other. They both did well in their final games. But, Brillant lead Opare in almost every (per game) statistical category last year. He's proven to be sturdier, and with Steve's concussion history, that's pretty critical. In addition, he'll naturally age out in the next few years, giving the new guy increasing opportunities to earn the position. That means we might get by with a young prospect that we're confident in. I'm not a big fan of cheaping out on the defense, but we've got a lot of good players that gots to get paid. I don't envy Kasper this offseason.

On a related note. Brek Shea is due for a resurgence, and is out of contract / needs a salary adjustment. If we could get him for Vytas money, might be worth it? I think he's played for some mediocre clubs, got stuck behind some good players and made his money. He's still young-ish, probably has a chip on his shoulder, and might be now interested in impressing a new NT coach...? Sometimes personal growth happens. Curious about opinions on him from the peanut gallery. :)

15. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So happy to see this show up in itunes. I really enjoyed it.

From the way you all were talking over each other for the first half hour or so, sounded like you guys were eager to get back to it.

Thanks for putting this together. Many thanks- the best United podcast, regardless of frequency.

GumbyG repped this.
  16. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Brek Shea is a latter day Cletus -- WYSIWYG. Al Davis engaged in ""reclamation projects" with the Oakland Raiders many years ago. Olsen is no Al Davis -- which is a good thing in most ways.

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  17. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd argue that Olsen is MLS' master of reclamation projects actually.

QuietSide, GumbyG and John L repped this.
  18. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would tend to agree. Of course, some "projects" are resolutely unreclaimable [sic].

[​IMG]

dadman repped this.
  19. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Now why would you do that?

dadman, griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  20. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

[​IMG]

tallguy and griffin1108 repped this.
  21. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    So if Acosta leaves, we might have to revisit the conversation about Olsen not losing the locker room. The first half of the season and his apparent unhappiness might be understated.

22. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Fair enough. But if Acosta doesn't leave, we should take it as a sign that he was very happy to mature under Olsen.

DCUSA repped this.
  23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Olsen was losing the locker room it was Rooney that brought it back together again. Though I would never equate Acosta (who is a tad immature, selfish, and petulant when things aren't going his way) with the rest of the locker room.

James

24. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    When we’re talking about the locker room we’re talking about players we want to keep, who have upside. If the team were so poorly run and things were worse than we think and we lost Birnbaum and Acosta that is a big thing but losing a few deckchairs is something else. Losing Acosta and Mattocks and something like a Steiber or Asad turns this off-season into a rebuilding year.