United vs. Tim

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Aug 14, 2018.

1. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney makes everyone around him better. You can tell he's directing things out there on the field and the front end of things are playing so much better. I fully expected an unholy bunker at some point but they kept going and creating. Even when Rooney left for Mattocks, they kept going. Mattocks in particular using those fresh legs to punk two defenders and beat the goalie.

2. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's actually a double-serving for me. Not just Fisher's, but Rooney's too. I was really cynical about the move, not expecting that he would be anything like the player and the leader-by-example that he is turning out to be. I don't know what more we could be asking of him.

song219, bigredfutbol, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  3. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The atmosphere last night at Audi was incredible.

Things finally look like they are getting into a rhythm with the supporters, visitors, and neighborhood. It looks like it will be a great scene for years to come.

Now as for the show... wow shocking actually.

How happy was I to see Bill in net, goes out for the first challenge.. gets large on the one on one and just like old times takes a good chunk out of the attacking players ball for the save. If that was Ousted.. that's a chip in the net..

We started slow but once our attack was rolling we actually looked dangerous for once. Quality football and all the right pieces in the right place at the right time.

When Mattocks came in and got that one on one, I had an instant feeling come over me that I haven't had in ages.

I immediately said, he is in with fresh legs, he is going to burn everyone and he's going to score.

Sure enough... total football.. funky goal from Fisher. Couldn't believe how much room he gave from the pass.. oh is that like for me?! Yeah kid get on that! And thanks!

Count me in for being skeptical but as always giving the "new guy" a chance to prove himself. He's unlike anything this squad so far has had on the field I think ever, huge payoff making him wear the "C" and deservedly so.

No drama in the locker room, no sluggish movement, not a wasted pass, not overly critical of his teammates, and so far no egos on the field. I was scarily waiting for that moment of frustration from him where he turns around and says "dont you know who the f$@# I am?!" kind of attitude for all the supposed botched passes and giveaways... which are starting now to become less of thing since he arrived.

I honestly was expecting us to draw against Portland, but we absolutely beat a quality side. This is some serious mojo we got rolling, make those defensive improvements and we're on to something...

Winoman, bigredfutbol and dadman repped this.
  4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    18219 announced for a Wed night is up there for mid week attendance and commendable considering the Metro issues. It seems the plan is coming together in a couple of very important areas particularly on the green part of the stadium. Team is jelling, there is a legitimate threat from set pieces we haven't seen in a decade and I sense that the team does not wish to displease the new boss with the crap they used to try to pass off as professional play. Rooney may have been a stroke of genius or more likely just good luck going United's way for once. Keep it up whatever.

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC just jumped over 3 teams in the standings. A win against NE would help close the gap even more. This is a good trend, and at the right time of the season.

Winoman, Boloni86, Dizi and 2 others repped this.
  6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team is awful!! Look at how they played!!! The coaching is clearly the weak link in the chain here. I mean players did not know where to.....................oh wait they have 6 points from 3 games in 8 days? That actually sounds very good. Huh, So maybe the coach is not so bad?? Huh

Have a nice day.

asitis, ImNumberTen and Kenobi repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    If Rooney has become the de facto on field coach and locker room taskmaster then yes for once, you are right.
    I plan to, same at ya

sitruc, superdave, Winoman and 5 others repped this.
  8. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One precious moment from last night: After Blanco had a case of the Sandy Vaginas in the second half, one of the guys in the field-level suites was giving him shit, and it clearly got under Blanco's skin and he started talking back. I'm pretty sure the suite guy's response was "maybe don't be such a little bitch next time, WTF?"

I've decided I don't like any players who have Blanco in their name.

sitruc, dadman, Winoman and 8 others repped this.
  9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The closest analogy to Rooney's arrival was the midseason arrival of DeRo in 2011. Both appeared to have a galvanizing effect. The difference -- DeRo was a star in MLS, Rooney is a star worldwide. DeRo was the first among equals on the team, Rooney is the guy everyone else listens to out of respect and probably a little bit of fear. On Rooney's first goal, he pointed to where he wanted the ball, Asad, who is talented, not only had the ability to put the ball there, but also "knew" he damn well better.

dadman, Winoman, asitis and 2 others repped this.
  10. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The team is better because coach Rooney is in control and Ben has been moved to “talks to media at halftime” :p

superdave, dadman, roadkit and 6 others repped this.
  11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    On TV, at least, it looked like the people in the sideline seats were mostly not watching the game. Oh, well.

I would say I am surprised, but honestly I don't know what to expect any more. Nice to see the team scoring goals this year, if only they could get the defense sorted out.

Rooney seems to be relishing his role as teacher / mentor. There must be less stress than if his role was "savior," so glad that he sees it that way.

dadman, Winoman and Hedbal repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The team played the entire first half of the season on the road. If Sir Alex Ferguson was coaching the team, they would have struggled to find points. Now that they're playing actual home games, they've turned into one of the most exciting teams in the league.

By any standard whatsoever, you SHOULD be re-examining your prejudices. But we've all seen enough of your dumbshit posts around here to know you won't.

Cavan9 and Heist repped this.
  13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    having your period again so soon?

14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Wit is truly dead.

And if you don't get somebody to change that colostomy bag, you will be too.

15. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pausing and scrub sliding that second Rooney goal, I see one of the Portland players gets his head up above the wall just as the shot goes over. I wonder what that feels like to have a Rooney rocket whiz by inches from your head. And if he was thinking more on the side of "Dang I missed it" or "Whew, it missed me."

Winoman repped this.
  16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For statistical proof of this, Jeff Sagarin's MLS rankings shows DC United as having played the hardest schedule in the league to date. And there's quite a drop between them and #2, Orlando.

GumbyG, ejs1111 and stangspritzring repped this.
  17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reaction to the Rooney signing was all over the lot - to some he would be the team's savior and to others an expensive bust. (One poster talked about him "pushing his walker around the pitch") My take was that he would be better than feared but worse than hoped. Right now, I think he's been much, much better than feared and very close to what some hoped for. One feature of his game we didn't appreciate at first was how much of a field general he has become. I think he's making his teammates better at playing a cohesive, connected attack.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NY Hoop, sitruc, 12th Man and 19 others repped this.
  19. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, that's amazing, FB.

20. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Watch the replay of Fisher’s goal. As Acosta collects the ball and allows the defense to collapse to him, Fisher wisely back pedals to get into open space so Acosta can calmly slot the ball to him. Looks like a Fisher is mainly a midfielder who got pushed back to outside defender and is learning under fire.

21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to New Mexico, where Fisher played in college, he was a midfielder/fullback.

Winoman repped this.
  22. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    No

No

NicktheGreek repped this.
  23. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I like the points but honestly, if you think the team has looked well coached against ORL or POR...

I'm genuinely speechless. That's craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy!

Boloni86 repped this.
  24. ElApacheTevez

ElApacheTevez Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney has been a pleasure to watch, during the game and when the action has stopped. I noticed the same thing between Rooney and Mattocks after the match. He was with joking around and congratulating Mattocks for a few minutes. I don't know much about Mattocks' actual attitude, but from the fan perspective he has appeared frustrated with his new role, which is understandable given the good individual achievements he's had this year. Small thing, but Rooney's outreach is part of being a good captain.

Rooney's bromance with Lucho has been a beautiful thing to watch grow. All these players seem to genuinely like each other and none more than those two. Aside from injury, I don't see any reason Lucho doesn't continue to improve all year. Those two are going to combine for a bunch of goals and assists.

Finally, after his set piece goal Rooney was being swarmed by players and a few roughed up his hair. He started laughing, pointed at his hair, and appeared to tell them something about laying off the hair plugs.

In the end, I think Rooney is just a good dude and has a better personality, work ethic, and attitude than I ever realized watching him play in England for all those years. Glad he's on our team.

12th Man, dadman, Winoman and 6 others repped this.
  25. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was the post my phone stopped on as I was brushing my teeth just now. It looped for two minutes straight and still isn't old.

sitruc, dadman, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.