Rumor: United States vs Spain; November 2013

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by AutoPenalti, Sep 5, 2013.

1. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm telling you all,Jacksonville's EverBank Field would be a great location for the match. They drew 45K fans for the US/Scotland match last year. Jacksonville is in a good location. They can pull fans from all over the Southeast for the game. We drove up from Tampa for the US/Scotland match last year and it only took us about, 3.5 hours to get there.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Personally, I think Jacksonville sucks as a location. But, assuming they go there, the Jaguars have a home game on 11/17, so that would more or less rule them out as the field would have to be flipped, including removing or adding all NFL markings within 24 hours. If the game were Friday, the field would have to be NFL ready for walkthroughs on 11/16. If the game was on the 19th, the field would need to be painted green, repaired and ready for soccer.

Jax is out. As is Tampa. 3 NFL and college football games between 11/11-11/17

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I figured nothing could be worse than scheduling a match against Spain 3 days before our first match at the World Cup next summer, so I'm happy. Better to face them in a harmless friendly date like November 2013.

Then again, we could face Spain to start our group next summer. THAT would be worse.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    2 football games at Lincoln Field 11/16-11/17

Fed Ex field has availability that week, but remember the sand pit that it turns into in late autumn.

5. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe RFK should get the game then.

6. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Patriots are off week 10, and on the road week 11. I would love for this to be at Gillette.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    temporary fields so late in the season with so little daylight tend to sorta suck.

8. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Why would you divide the word indivisible?

9. Converted54

Converted54 Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Francisco or Seattle would be pretty cool locations for me. Doubt they come to the west coast though.

10. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'd be willing to risk that if it meant I could see it in person. You don't get a lot of these chances in life.

11. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Guys, LP field is open on November 15. Titans are away to Indy that week, and that's a great pitch.

tab5g repped this.
  12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Probably true (but I don't know to what extent). But the US has had a fairly strong recent history of playing friendlies against top teams.

There are apparently a lot of reasons why nations (and top nations now) are interested in playing H/A friendlies with the USMNT. Yes, "quality of the pitch" should be a consideration for the organizers and both federations, but I just don't think it is at the top of their list for this type of friendly scrimmage that is looking to be hosted by the US.

13. akattack

akattack Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Shrewsbury
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Hey at least we get Brazil Portugal at the same time as USA Mexico...

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely the money.

Look at these numbers from 2012:

84,519 1. Mexico-Brazil (friendly) in Arlington, Texas
    81,994 2. Argentina-Brazil (friendly) in East Rutherford, N.J.
    51,615 9. Mexico-Colombia (friendly) in Miami
    51,240 10. Mexico-Bosnia (friendly) in Chicago
    40,128 17. Mexico-Venezuela (friendly) in Houston

In 2013 (incomplete list):

43,345 Mexico-Denmark (friendly) in Phoenix
    46,288 Mexico-Peru (friendly) in San Francisco
    62,107 Mexico-Nigeria (friendly) in Houston
    55,000 (projected) Brazil-Portugal (friendly) in Boston

Offered at (usually) a steep ticket price. The US will usually be willing to share more of the profit if a big name comes (especially because the USSF gets a cut of all those friendlies held on US soil).

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not to mention that everybody wants to beat The Great Satan... :D

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they keep coming over here and marrying our women!

(Plus, they do like that they can go out and not be recognized).

17. ktabz

ktabz Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    us v spain in 2011 drew the largest crowd ever to watch a soccer game in new england, my wife and i were 2 of them and we had a good time despite our B team getting steamrolled.

sitting next to an american el tri fan rooting for spain was very interesting as well.

18. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't quote me if you have nothing positive to say about a fellow yank who has produced when he wore the shirt and another thing you must be the most bulimic poster here to forget what Freddy Adu did to the Spainish National Team.:mad::rolleyes:o_O

19. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    And why is the word "abbreviation" so damn long?

ttrevett repped this.
  20. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    What trophy did Freddy help the US win when this happened?

It was in a youth game, right?

Freddy can't get off the bench for his club team - much less the NATS.

If Freddy is so invaluable - why isn't he inColumbus starting against Mexico?

21. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you are Trolling at the highest degree, not once did I say anything about a Trophy and to answer your question no it was not a youth game the US played against Spain in Spain and Freddy was making that team look like a bunch of fools.

If anybody can put that video rep is coming your way. @Schapes: Look we all get it you hate Adu that much is clear but don't come here quoting my post and trolling the thread because right now your acting like a ranting little brat who's parents didn't get that toy he wanted.

PS: Sorry Mods I'm actually trying not to feed the troll but he just won't go away.

22. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I don't hate Freddy. I have never met him.

Freddy doesn't rate a call up. When he is starting on his club team all the time and getting assists/goals - he will be called in.

If that friendly game is so impressive - how come the coaches in Bahia aren't impressed?

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    fwiw, this Spain at USA friendly in Nov might not be happening.

Goff (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2013/09/11/u-s-qualifies-for-2014-world-cup/) is reporting that:

Not sure where that leaves the possibility for a Spain at USA friendly in 2013, but I'd guess that 2014 might make more sense for that fixture.

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Spain to Austria? Now that's a letdown.