PBP: United States vs Honduras; 3/24; 10:30pm ET

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Both of the "debutantes" Villafaña and Lletget were impressive on the whole tonight.

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep bringing the crazy, Sam...

deuteronomy repped this.
  3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well contrary to what those people were saying, we had had plenty of success well before Klinsmann ever showed up, and aside from Donovan we did so with a lot less talent than we have now. Their point was always stupid right from the get-go.

StormTrooper and kansascity.lincoln repped this.
  4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Just as there is an art to the 'dive' there is an art to the 'throw.'

5. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I hope so. Please don't go Charlie Davies or Stu Holden.

6. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say, I was impressed with Altidore as creator tonight. Not used to feeling that way. Glad to see it. I want him to score a goal or two, just cuz.

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    One last word on this: we can't copy Europe because geography works against us. Europe is what it is in large part specifically because of its geography. (And you know what? So is Brazil, and that hasn't worked out badly for them at all.) We have to learn to be great using what we have. And as we've known all along (in spite of forgetting form time to time), that's a long road. Most of the traditional soccer-loving world has a century on us, and it was always going to take a few decades to catch up...

Burr, Deadtigers and Bajoro repped this.
  8. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    StormTrooper, TOAzer, CU soccer and 4 others repped this.
  9. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but... the last time anyone scored 6 on Honduras in a competitive match was in 1935.

sitruc, PhillyandBCEagles, Burr and 2 others repped this.
  10. AranhaHunter

AranhaHunter Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Let's be honest, if we ever want to be a world power beating minions like Honduras and Panama by 2 goals should be standard, whether home or away. The only real competitive matches on CONCACAF competition should be Mexico and maybe Costa Rica.

This is the most talent we have ever had. The only reason we are not going to the Confederation's cup in June is because of Klinsmann

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said this before the game, talent wise of course the US was better. However with all the injuries, new-ish coach, the stakes this high, a loss would be detrimental, the pressure was on. They exceeded a lot of expectations. That's not saying there aren't improvements to be made but it's a breath of fresh air.

TOAzer and Deadtigers repped this.
  12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This wasn't a "perfect" game. But with 6 goals, a shutout, and excellent attacking play (not 6 deflections or set-pieces, 1 FK and 5 run-of-play goals, remember when we had that drought of run-of-play goals under JK?) this is about as close to perfect as you can get. We got the maximum positive out of this game, the only limitation being that Honduras is not CR/Mexico. The absolute best that we could've hoped for, hopefully Lletget is OK, since JAB should be fine.

13. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    cleansheetbsc repped this.
  14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He was on point post game last night that it looked like the team had an identity.

Of course that follows a 6-0 home win. Lets see if we can have an identity in a hard 2-1 road win. My guess is yes, but it remains to be seen.

Marko72 repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The team just looked so loose and they were having so much fun out there. If it was a "do or die game" you could not tell from the way they played.
    It was fantastic to see.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marko72 and jackiesdad repped this.
  17. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Is there a way to triple-rep this post?
    It feels *so* good to wake-up from the long, long nightmare!

TOAzer repped this.
  18. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love me some CP but he's not ready for that yet, put him in his comfy spot oh the right middle and let him work
    And then add in everyone that was hurt, my goodness. Honestly, what would the score have been with Fabian, Deandre, Wood.....that's a salty team

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think Jozy has a decent passing game, the problem is to pass he needs to control the ball and there is his problem, sometimes he needs to control the ball to score, which more than once fails him. Looking at his record, he can score against the little teams but has a difficulty when dealing with experienced, top notch defenders. Panama is going to be hungry, they just lost to Trinidad. Would Jozy put one in against a better foe? We shall see.

20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we know which Sam is the Ham.

21. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Villafana's emergence makes me feel a hell of a lot better about deploying Johnson further forward, too.

Zinkoff and Marko72 repped this.
  22. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama isn't much better...this will be another route 3,4-0

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As much as I hope you are right I think it will be a close game on the road.
    There were some defensive lapses last night that Honduras could not convert on that I think Panama can at home.

24. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their attack doesn't scare me a bit honestly, outside of set pieces I don't see them scoring. They have a decent defense but I don't think they will be able to stop CP-Demps-Altidore......those guys were on the same page last night and I think it continues. The form Pulisic is in is unstoppable at the moment

25. AranhaHunter

AranhaHunter Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Panama is going to be extra hungry to avenge the loss they had at the last qualifying, which took them out of contention and put Mexico in.

This is true. The defensive lapses last night were very clears. It is still our big weakness. Gonzalez is seviceable, but shouldn't be starting. The backs also made a significant amount of mistakes. Midfield and forwards for the US actually look good and with a lot of young talent for the future. Defense - sans GK - still need a lot of work.