United States, Canada, Mexico could form combined league after 2026 World Cup - Liga MX chief

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Oct 10, 2018.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN:
    United States, Canada, Mexico could form combined league after 2026 World Cup - Liga MX chief

I don't think this is likely to go anywhere significant, but it is in the news...

2. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  3. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US/Canada geographic area and population is already huge. I don't see how or why you add Mexico.

EvanJ repped this.
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?

This is why!
    [​IMG]

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I firmly doubt that this will happen, but if it does, I'm permanently out on American soccer.

Papillon Soo Soo and JasonMa repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pass

But if you wanted pro/rel in the U.S. (I don't), this is how you get pro/rel in the U.S. You would finally have an argument that there are more top-level teams than there are spots, which is how pro/rel originally started.

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong... fixed below:

If LigaMX teams want OUT of pro/rel in Mexico (they do), this is how they get out of pro/rel!

(Also, no way they would reduce the number of first division teams... MLS is already showing that ~20 is an artificial limit as it races towards 28)

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    I wonder if when he says "league or cup", he means "league" in the same way the CCL is a "league". A reboot of the SuperLiga, or something similar. That seems much more likely than actually combining MLS and Liga MX.

oknazevad, athletics68 and Ismitje repped this.
  10. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking the most likely would be a combined playoff /championship.

CeltTexan and Geneva repped this.
  11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More likely a subverting of the CCL. LigaMX and MLS execs see that there is an appetite for more MLS vs. LigaMX games. The CCL in its' current format is very abbreviated. An MLS-LigaMX SuperLiga held in the Summer-Fall months each year could be a potential cash cow for both leagues and federations.

12. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could work... but I'd rather them go all-in with full integration than a half measure like playoffs or cup game only... and I really don't want to see a manufactured tournament. (particularly one that only occurs on US soil)

13. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The return of the SuperLiga!

14. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I have a name for this new proposed North American league...North American Soccer League ;)

Len, oknazevad, jayd8888 and 10 others repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least until some narcissistic future president makes minor changes and renames it the US M C League...

16. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    I think the appetite for intra league games is way overstated. In Mexico it is probably non existant, in US it is overstated.

I can see why LMX owners would be interested, they have this huge diaspora here and no way to get them meaningful games to watch in person. Everybody's all friendlied out.

This would be a huge mistake for MLS. It doesnt need Mexico for growth. We already compete for the same imported players, so theres no avenue toward improving the level of play by this move. It does nothing to grow the interest of it's own franchises. Nobody in Mexico is going to take up supporting/following an MLS team. With separate leagues, there is at least a possibility the mexican diaspora living in US would entertain supporting a team in each league. With a unified league, you draw a line in the sand with that.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting if true....

russ repped this.
  18. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I am not sure this is true. Don't the US club vs Mexico club games do better on Spanish language TV? I would guess many of those watching are Mexican.

I am not saying I am in favor of this idea however.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Right. I see this completely as a SuperLiga reboot, or possibly a merger of Liguilla and the MLS Cup Playoffs.

MLS and LigaMX have been circling each other for nearly 20 years. The main problem is how to get something going that excludes the rest of CONCACAF - especially the CFU.

Tying it to the World Cup 2026 (and always mentioning Canada) is a shrewd move, possibly giving them the political cover needed to pull something off.

When Saturday Comes and russ repped this.
  20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't see it as a unified league in as much as a way to give most clubs in both leagues regular international experience.

The more radical idea is to merge the league championships. Each domestic league would continue to have its own seasons and league winners, but the possibility of doing away with Liguilla and the MLS Cup playoffs and replacing it with a larger merged tournament, possibly even with a group stage, would potentially create a very valuable property indeed.

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Why am I having Oliver Tse flashbacks?

Lark Howorth, jayd8888, russ and 2 others repped this.
  22. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In that case, if we wanted balanced numbers of teams in the Northern and Southern Conferences, we could send the Texas and California teams to play in the Southern Conference with Liga MX teams. There is historical precedent for California and Texas to be with Mexico after all. :whistling::sneaky:

BalanceUT repped this.
  23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm still waiting for Necaxa to moved to Los Angeles.

jayd8888, russ and JasonMa repped this.
  24. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL as well...Utah was part of Mexico in 1847...

jayd8888, BalanceUT, EvanJ and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    Better than what? LMX domestic games? I doubt it. Better than MLS domestic games on Univision? Not sure, possible maybe, but if so, not higher than regular LMX games. And to what extent is that viewership tuning in because of their fandom of the LMX club involved vs interest in intra league matches?

In either case, lets run this footballing rivalry into the ground by over saturating it with more matches...