News: United Mania Podcast Ends Run : Deck Chairs Going Down with the Ship

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nobletea, Apr 8, 2016.

1. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For many years, years longer than I had the privilege to hear them, the guys have put together an entertaining audio show for United fans. Unfortunately, the show is no more.

This has already been discussed at length in the DC FO thread, and if you like head there and catch up, but I wanted to start a new thread to make sure everyone hears the news. The guys are too humble to start their own thread about it, but I thought it also deserved a place for everyone to give them some kudos. I also wanted to separate that from griping about the FO, so please contain those comments to the other thread.

Well these guys were not deck chairs. It was a great blend of personalities that can't be recreated, and like Led Zeppelin, they decided not to push on. (nobody died, thankfully)

(not unless you're counting the spirit of DC United fandom)

I have given most every other United and soccer podcast a try over the years, but the only one I faithfully listened to was this one. It will be very deeply missed by all their fans who can be counted on two hands.

As I said in the other thread, not living nearby, not being a joiner by nature (no SG), not having a lot of other friends who like soccer AND United, the podcast was a great connection to the fanbase for me, and now leaves only BS as the last one.

My commutes will be much more dour now. Thanks to each of you for your efforts.

2. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Thank you guys. I eagerly awaited each show. I was always entertained. Once or twice I was actually informed. This will be a big loss to me.

NicktheGreek, Winoman, dadman and 4 others repped this.
  3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said over there, this sucks.

Winoman, Alejandro 10, mosca and 3 others repped this.
  4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Between this, starting the season winless, the stupid logo change, the District Ultras bans and our owner being exposed in the Panama Papers it's been a pretty morbid start to the year so far.

This is testing times for fans of this club. This is the other side of the coin of being a sports fan. Sometimes you have to endure and suffer quietly with your team for years ... sometimes decades. If this club ever reemerges from the ashes it'll make that experience just that much more rewarding ...

Pseudonym, D C B 2 3, Winoman and 6 others repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this podcast. I've even been the butt of jokes on this podcast. I will miss it greatly.

I haz a sad :( ... as the kids used to say way back in the early 20-oughts ...

Thank You @Marco10
    Thank You @Cweedchop
    Thank You Randy
    I'll even throw out an odd Thank You to @Diceson

But most of all ....... THANK YOU @Maniac

6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    As I approach retirement, I've gotten used to old friends and colleagues "move on" to the next stage in life. However, "getting used" to something, doesn't make the "moving on" any easier to take. I'll miss the podcasts very much. I always felt like I was sitting in bar somewhere, listening to some friends just shoot the shit about the team I have followed and cared about since its inception. Well, I guess the bar closed and the friends "moved on", but I'll miss them. Thanks guys.

Marco10, Winoman, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  7. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Now there are no good DC United podcasts or shows, really a shame.

Winoman, shawn12011, griffin1108 and 4 others repped this.
  8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I said what I wanted to say in the other thread.

But this bites.

Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  9. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you guys for your love and passion for the team. The effort you put in really showed how much you cared. And I know that "cared" only applies to the making of the show, and isn't past-tense for how you care about United.

Godspeed, gentlemen.

TowsonDad, Winoman, mosca and 1 other person repped this.
  10. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a truly good show, and I'll miss it. I didn't listen to every one, but enough. Great mix of personality and soccer talk. This blows.

Winoman repped this.
  11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay thirsty my friends.

12. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Thirsty indeed.
    I got involved in writing about DC because back in '99 there was a dearth of analysis and all writing was mostly fluff, so I figured I'd write about the things I wanted to read about, which is not the fluff. Huh.

Then the show came along and it was a hell of a lot more interesting to chat about the team with people who were surprisingly resistant to my point of view. It challenged my understanding of the game to refute these various troglodytes who for some reason had a different point of view than my own, which was the true vision of course.

Now along the way, we were always kind of second class in the eyes of the team, but so what as long as we could do what we wanted to do. But, this latest insult was the final straw with me and I was really going to stick with that. However, now I am reconsidering.

I like chatting about the team with people, especially with @Cweedchop and @Maniac, and @RUFFHAUS 8 and I don't want to stop just because they did what they did. I am in a way glad we are now untethered from the team and can just do as we please. We did that before too, but I think we always worried about crossing various lines and risking this or that.

Well, nothing to worry about now, full speed ahead I say.

Alejandro 10, dadman, TowsonDad and 6 others repped this.
  13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You fought the good fight! :D

14. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...you'll still going to do the show?

15. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Idol is back baby!

song219 repped this.
  16. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Steady on, brother. As much as I like to think it's all about me, it isn't. Let's see what happens. All I am saying is that I am willing to still do shows.

Alejandro 10, dadman, marks7mb and 2 others repped this.
  17. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't let those FO assholes keep you guys away from a show.

nick, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  18. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Haha. Not worried about that at all! I'm worried no one else might want to do a show with me. As I said, it's not about me. I'll do it, but it'd be a sucky show if it's just me arguing with myself.

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    In some ways it could be freeing since you won't have to stay in the FO's good graces.

Winoman repped this.
  20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I still don't think I understand the reasoning. I mean I hear it and all but it makes no sense, and with DC FO that's saying something.

fatbastard, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Liked the gone fishing banner. You guys were great in the second hall.

Alejandro 10, BBBulldog and sitruc repped this.
  22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
  23. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Wow. I suspect I'm like a few others out there: Discovered this news while searching for the latest United Mania Podcast. This is really a loss to the fan culture of this team. Organic, real support cannot be manufactured.

Thank you all for some very entertaining podcasts over the years.

marks7mb, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  24. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Nov 23, 2007
    This is really unfortunate news. I've listened to every podcast episode since I discovered the site in '08. You've kept me sane in light of stadium plans collapsing, RFK collapsing, Chico's death, plummeting attendances, having to share RFK with the Nationals, the Soehn years, the Onalfo years, the Olsen years, the Bradley years, the Klinsmann years.

You guys alone carried me through the 2010 and 2013 campaigns, when the only motivation to watch games was so I could relate to the post-game UnitedMania rants. You made the Pink Cow victories sweeter and the 4-0 drubbings less depressing. While I was away from DC for several years, you kept my interest in the team elevated. You discussed the things that we fans crave: acquisitions, stadiums, ownership changes, coaching decisions, the progress of soccer in America . . . all the things that the team can't or doesn't comment on.

If I ever meet you guys in person, I'll buy you a beer. After all, unbeknownst to you, you've been my most loyal DC United buddies for nearly a decade!

marks7mb, nick, Alejandro 10 and 11 others repped this.
  25. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Very well said. I agree 100 % with everything, but the bold part, really hits hard. As someone whose enjoyed the podcast massively, it goes with out saying, the loss is gutting.

Magikfute, dadman, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.