Union/H-burg City Islanders catch all [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Lancaster FC, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    In all seriousness, the attendance will be shit. Their best bet is to revive Bethlehem steel fc and kill it on the merchandise, getting some hype around it. They're better off building the team around image, and get it moving that way.

2. HCI Caller

HCI Caller New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Press conference is to announce HCI friendly with Union and site change of USL match with Montreal. Both to be held in Lancaster, which could be temporary home of HCI if/when stadium project construction begins.

slitz and riot71 repped this.
  3. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice. date?

4. HCI Caller

HCI Caller New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #279 HCI Caller, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
    Monday, August 31.

I hope you mean that not many "Union" fans will care about them anymore. There are a very small number of HCI fans that follow the Union closely, as the Union have not attempted to have much of a presence in the Harrisburg area. As for obligations on playing time, you can be sure that the players who are loaned to Harrisburg (when they are loaned at all) are given the playing time that was agreed to by both teams. They may not openly say that, but it happens.

Doop and slitz repped this.
  5. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm sure they totally agreed to a loanee being an unused sub. Yes I meant Union fans which is who this board is for. I was a big fan of the affiliation where we were the only ones doing anything like that, but now times have changed and it's time for the Union to move on, though I'm not completely on board with the cash grab it seems like they are attempting.

6. HCI Caller

HCI Caller New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be all for the Union moving on, too, especially if they had any clue how to move on. Sakiewicz has said so many different things in the media, no one really knows what he wants or is thinking. But based on his track record, a franchise-run team probably won't be any good. Outside of Richie Marquez and 2014's Jimmy McLaughlin (he's back to bad habits this year without Morgan Langley to play off of), rarely have the Union loanees been difference makers with the Islanders. Maybe that's why none of them see any time with the big club. Actually, with Harrisburg discovering Shannon Williams and Brian Sylvestre, one could say that the HCI have developed more players for the Union with MLS talent than the Union with their loanees. Loanees are given playing time with the Islanders. Their training is with the Union. Do you really think that a Union-run team in USL would greatly improve things? They've shown no ability to develop young talent.

ScottyMac26 and Doop repped this.
  7. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be really curious as to what the market is for USL teams in the USA. It seems that the trend is for MLS teams to own their own USL team. The orginal partnership deals like Union/HCI, seem to be fading. My main question is will the USL stand alone teams that do not get MLS loaned players continue to thrive in the next few years? After a burst of expansion, I expect some of these teams might fold.

for Example: If the union form their own Union 2, I expect HCI to move or fold.

Thoughts?

8. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the day, they're probably moving regardless. No new stadium and they're gone. The U needs their own D3 team, playing on their own and developing their own players.

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a stretch.

I'm not the dude's biggest proponent, but it's not like he was some diamond in the rough that HCI found, developed, then sold off to a bigger club. Guy bounced around, trialing at various clubs. I believe RSL being one of them ...

10. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull too. The guy ran out of options, went to Harrisburg, and then showed well with the U at the end of a season where right back was a disaster of Myrie and Arietta proportions...

I'd prefer the U have their own set up and that team should be training day in and day out in Chester.

jaykoz3 and Dills repped this.
  11. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well you pretty much made my point, it dosn't matter if they are difference makers if just matters if they play. Playing good not playing bad. I agree with your points about the fo but thats not the issue here. I really hope Harrisburg sticks around as I think the coach really knows what he is doing but they clearly barley have the funds to dress 18 guys for a game. Just as an aside an argument could be made that if Harrisburg didn't have Hoppenot last season they probably wouldn't have been in the championship game.

12. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "What? I get compliments here now?"

[​IMG]

Ascalz, cwelch999, buzzkiller23 and 5 others repped this.
  13. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    d3 level compliments only

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    riot71 repped this.
  15. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is construction actually going to happen? Would be nice for Harrisburg to get that upgrade.

16. HCI Caller

HCI Caller New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could I hear what that argument is?

17. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    Did he not score the lone goal against Orlando in the quarters?

18. HCI Caller

HCI Caller New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. And the defense allowed two shots on goal all game. Without Marquez, they don't win that game or even make the playoffs. Without McLaughlin, they don't make the playoffs. Without Hoppenot, they still have every chance to win that game. Who is to say that the HCI forward whose place was taken by Hoppenot doesn't score the same goal? That being said, from what I've seen in his play with the Union and the City Islanders, Hoppenot fits better with HCI.

Tyr repped this.
  19. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lancaster FC, buzzkiller23 and billf repped this.
  22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said right in there that he was concerned about commute...

24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but it sounded like he was flip-flopping (he's not welcome to the Flotilla, however). I feel like I read something recently saying that the travel time wasn't that big of a deal.

Actually, it WAS that Zeitlin article, afterall. :oops:

"Sakiewicz insisted that the two-hour commute from PPL Park to Harrisburg’s cozy Skyline Sports Complex is not an issue ..."

25. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe SugarSak is financing a hyperloop between Chester and Harrisburg.

Doop repped this.