Union/H-burg City Islanders catch all [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Lancaster FC, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it might be worth starting a thread to talk about the Union's "new" partnership with the Islanders. The Islanders do have their own thread under USL Pro, but i thought i would put this one up specifically for Union related questions.

I already posted a question on the Roster Thread about which 4 guys might be loaned out, so feel free to answer that here or post new or other info.

But let me start with another question: Do you think Hack. will do 4 long term loans or do you think he will use the Islanders to help rotate 1 or 2 guys who need minutes or are recovering from injury?

2. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you will see 2-3 long termers and some rotating due to injury, who knows maybe Soumare gets sent there for a game or two?

3. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im from Harrisburg and I am glad to see the partnership from the money standpoint. The Stadium on the island is beyond disgraceful and compared to the Senators new stadium it looks even worse. However from an overall, I think USL MLS partnership, or the way they are doing it now, is very stupid. I know Pro/Rel is no where close (Please do not turn this into that kinda thread) but for the USOC, teams might play their "Farm" or "Affiliate." Yes precautions are taken in the draw, however that shouldnt be an issue. When is USSF going to step in and combine USL and NASL and get shit straight and turn it into more firm tiered system, just without pro/rel.

4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Union was required to loan out a minimum of four players, and that they'd be considered full-time HCI guys even though the Union (MLS) would still pay their salaries.

5. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're required to have at least four guys rostered in Harrisburg at all times, but the rumor mill says there's a "call-up" provision where if they want a player for a Union game they can send another guy down to replace him. Details are still sketchy.

6. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible for the Union to call up a "Non-union" paid player from HBG?

7. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Soumare will land there if the Union can't trade him.

8. unionchris

unionchris Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there anything in the rules about sending the manager to the USL affiliate? Obviously Cruz would be attached at the hip with him.

UnionDues, BuddhaWake and Handsome Pete repped this.
  9. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed at least two other MLS teams have announced their 4 players going to their USL Pro affiliates. I'm guessing the Union are waiting until after the Pumas match, but does anyone know if their is a deadline?

I think HBG's roster needs to be set by April 4, but i don't know if that applies to the 4 from the union.

ps. I did see somewhere a quote from the HBG coach who said he knows who the four players are.

10. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soumare did ask for a transfer, ;)

Doop repped this.
  11. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any stipulation that we can't send more than 4? We might as well send both Anding and Fernandes there for time.

13. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reserve rules were always described as "at least" 4 rostered players at HCI at any one time

14. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/harrisburg-city-islanders-in-usl-forum.1985176/

I started a thread to request that the Islanders have its own folder in the USL teams section in Big Soccer (currently they just have a thread for the season started below the team section). Without having its own folder, any HCI thread ends up getting randomly mixed with other USL PRO and USL PDL team threads so it is hard to keep all of the HCI info centralized in a team folder like we have with the Union. To get a team folder on Big Soccer, the Mods need to have 10 different B.S. members post in the team request thread (the HCI request link is shown above) that they will post there. Given the Union will be loaning players to HCI and will likely continue to trial/sign players from HCI (i.e. Sheanon Williams and alumni like J.T. Noone, Morgan Langley and Chase Harrison), it would be good to get the Union's affiliate to be treated like a real team in Big Soccer land with its own thread. Thanks.

15. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you have 10 :)

16. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent. :thumbsup: The Mods require a minimum of 10 and they more posters that you get for a team folder request, the quicker that they add the folder so folks should keep posting in that request thread if they have an interest in at least checking in on it if not necessarily being a regular poster to it. With the "farm team-like" affiliation of the Union and HCI, Union fans likely will have some interest in the progress of loan players (Hernandez, McLaughlin, Jordan), the waived/cut players (Richards, Mendoza, Schoenle) and the HCI roster players who could make the jump to MLS.

17. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you heard any more about the waived/cut players?

18. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richards, Schoenle and Mendoza are in HCI camp. Ogunbiyi (goalie who was in the camp at YSC) was in HCI Camp but the Islanders have seemingly had more goalies in camp than most other positions (Restrepo signed with Tampa Bay Rowdies in NASL as did Hristov) - I am not sure that he is still there. I would have thought Renken may have been an option but he was recently in Sweden for a failed trial with a lower division team. There has been no Okai sighting at HCI camp - same with the other Supplemental picks (Keegan, Linville, Bentick). Francis signed with Charlotte (USL PRO). Harrison, Vidal, Kafes, Eber and Vidal are still free agents as far as I know.

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is Jake Keegan these days?

Are the Maccabi Games still going on?

EmeraldDawn and Doop repped this.
  20. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    want to watch HBG city Islanders games or other USL games free online....
    USL Pro just announced this agreement!!

21. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All 3 Union loan players started last night for HCI in a friendly against Villanova - McLaughlin scored the only goal in a 1-0 Islanders win. They play Maryland tonight in the last pre-season game before the regular season starts.

With Fernandes likely to stay with the Union as Kleberson's official translator while he brushes up on his English from his Manchester United days, the mystery #4 loan player to the Islanders would seemingly be down to:

a) Anding

b) reserve rotation (i.e. Kassel, Wheeler, a few folks on B.S. would even include Soumare;)) to get some playing time a game or two at a time

c) #3 goalie (after beating out a bunch of other trialists, it looks like Hack's former US Youth goalie, Brian Sylvestre, won the back-up goalie spot with HCI behind veteran, Nick Noble. There is a chance that Philly could now sign him that he won the job and then loans him to HCI). Of the MLS teams with USL PRO affiliates, both DCU and KC loaned their #3 goalies to their affiliates. NE did not loan their #3 as Reis is injured and they need the cover.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He - LF22 - has made tomorrow's gameday roster, so I'm thinking Leo's not getting sent down to HCI.

320221704502800384 is not a valid tweet id

Maybe that means Kleberson went as well, needing a translator and all ...

23. usfutbol12

usfutbol12 Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just took in Harrisburg's final preseason game against the University of Maryland. Final score was 5-1 Terps. Morgan Langley had the lone HCI goal. Clearly not a great game for the City Islanders overall but Cristhian Hernandez in particular stood out as a player who was struggling. Seemed like he got off his game at the beginning and then it was downhill from there, struggling to get a good touch or make simple passes. At one point you could clearly hear one of his teammates yell "get your sh*t together Cristhian" out of sheer frustration. Jimmy looked serviceable but didn't stand out as a significant threat, despite playing against players his own age. Greg Jordan only played a half and looked good for the most part although he did get burned a couple times on D and was out of position on 1 goal. Considering that they were playing against players who are around their own age it's a little disappointing to see such poor performances.

24. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnew...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It looks like Don Anding is the current 4th player currently on loan as he played for HCI tonight - since there has been no official press release about Anding's loan, it may not be a season-long loan.

The City Islanders also used four players on loan from the Philadelphia Union -- Harrisburg's Major League Soccer affiliate -- midfielders Jimmy McLaughlin and Cristhian Hernandez, and defenders Greg Jordan and Don Anding.

25. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2013/04/youthful_harrisburg_city_islan.html

Union-related players who made the Harrisburg City roster include:

G - Nick Noble (2012 trialist)
    D - Greg Jordan (loan)
    D - Don Anding (loan)
    D - Damani Richards (2013 trialist)
    D - Tom Brandt (2012 Supplemental Draft Pick)
    M - Cristhian Hernandez (loan)
    M - Jimmy McLaughlin (loan)
    M - Andrew Welker (2011 reserve team)
    M - Morgan Langley (2011 first team)
    F - Lucky Mkosana (2012 trialist and reserve team)
    F - Sainey Touray (2011 reserve team)

11 of the 20 players have Union ties - as of now, Schoenle and Mendoza are not on the roster.

Hack's former US 17 goalie, Brian Sylvestre, is the HCI reserve goalie.