Uniform Color Conflict

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Red Card, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know where else to put this comment so I apologize in advance for starting a new thread about it.

I do not ever recall seeing a uniform color conflict in MLS before, but there was one in last Sunday's NY-Houston game.

There are 5 uniform colors in a game. Each team's field players, each team's goalkeepers, and the referees. They should all be of different colors, and the referee should check. If any two are the same, there could be confusion.

In the above mentioned game, the referee wore all black and so did the Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall. That had the potential to cause confusion, although no confusion seemed to have occurred.

Btw, theoretically if both goalkeepers use the same color uniforms, there is a very, very small possibility of confusion if one goalkeeper came up for a corner kick at the end of a game. But this conflict can be ignored if it does occur.

2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Generally speaking, if the conflict is between players and the officials, the officials will change. They should carry both black and yellow. However, since the CR rarely ventures as deep as the box he must have not worried about the color. Hell, I didn't even notice.

3. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son's club game last week had the keepers coincidentally wearing exact same color shirt and it went unnoticed until after the game started. The refs made one of the keepers change at halftime.

4. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Since it's on-topic, though not related to your specific complaint, I would really like to see all teams have some mandatory 3rd kit that is all-white. We have far too many teams in this league whose first and second kit is so similar that it forces a home team into wearing their 2nd kit when they visit. This seems to occur more each year.

The other option would be to have highly diverse 2nd kits, but as that is not american sporting tradition i'm not really advocating that too strongly.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have posted it in the Referee forum.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't the first time, I've seen comments in the referee forum about match officials changing their kits at half due to conflict.

7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If memory serves, the referee had to change his jersey midway through the first half of USA-Colombia at WC 94 because of color conflict...

8. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    God no. There is already way too much all-white in this league. Let the Galaxy do their Madrid thing (although they should really have never gone away from the green/gold so maybe it should be Vancouver instead) and don't allow anyone else to wear all-white ever. It's the most boring and unimaginative uniform possible (although people will it "classy").

Lithium858 repped this.
  9. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need to take a closer look at home whites for other US sports leagues. They are hardly all white.

10. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Christ, did you even read my reasoning? I find it irritating when the home team is forced into an alternate kit because the road teams 1st and 2nd kit are too much alike. For those situations they should be forced into some 3rd kit that is guaranteed not to conflict.

We have way too many dark jerseys in this league, ones that are close in shade even when different colors.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, what with the referees wearing denim and stars just like the USNT.

12. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    How often does this happen?

13. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wish I could remember which match this was (was looking for the highlights), but there was a game about 2 months ago where one team was in white, and the other team was in another color but the BACK of their kit was white. Made corner kicks a nightmare when all the players are heading towards the goal for the in-swinger. I was surprised that this was allowed.

Mucky and henryo repped this.
  14. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the problem you point out, but I don't entirely agree with the solution. Rather than requiring every team to have a white uniform, I think every team just needs to have at least one uniform that is not the same color as their other uniforms. For example, if Sporting KC had a silver uniform (I noticed that color is in their crest) to go along with their two shades of blue uniforms, they could wear that uniform when playing teams like Philly, NE, and Montreal.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the denim-and stars is my go-to Fourth of July shirt. There's a little parade north of town we typically attend, and there's a guy I see only that day each year, also wearing his USNT denim-and-stars shirt.

profiled and RafaLarios repped this.
  16. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually i thought of this when i watched the CUSA vs NER highlights this past week. Different color schemes but the same three colors. I'm not sure it would cause the players confusion, but it was kinda annoying just in watching the highlights.

17. webfoot

webfoot Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Corpse in Houston, spirit in Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    That was Portland vs Vancouver.

Mucky and profiled repped this.
  18. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thank you. Just look at shots like those at 2:55. All white.

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Sorry why is there a problem with both keepers having the same shirt?

20. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really bizarre that this occurred because Portland could have just worn their Green uniform and then there would have been zero chance of confusion.

Mucky and Soccerglue repped this.
  21. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No wonder I am confused ..o_O

22. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Kansas City @ Montreal this year.

23. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the admittedly rare event that the GK for one team is in the same part of the field as the GK of the other team, they should be easily distinguishable from each other.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last weekend we had three games where the goalkeeper came forward for a corner kick or two, and again last night in the RSL-Philly game. The shirts should be different indeed.

redinthemorning repped this.
  25. LiquidYogi

LiquidYogi Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

In youth games it's generally ignored as keepers don't really have tons of alternates, it's not generally considered all that important. Anyways here's the relevant information from the Laws of the Game.

Law 4 The Players Equipment
    "The two teams must wear colours that distinguish them from each other
    and also the referee and the assistant referees"

"Each goalkeeper must wear colours that distinguish him from the other
    players, the referee and the assistant referees"

Note that it doesn't specifically mention the other keeper, that's in the Interpretations from FIFA

"If the jerseys of the two goalkeepers are the same colour and neither has
    another jersey to change into, the referee allows play to begin."

Sachsen repped this.