Under 20 World Cup - Who will break through?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by SiempreCrema, Jun 23, 2016.

1. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    The under 20 World Cup is the best foreshadowing of the future. We have the Chilean generation starting in 2007 with Chile finishing 3rd as well as players like Alexis Sanchez, Arturo Vidal and Gary Medel breaking through. Argentina on numerous occasions, France with Paul Pogba in 2013 who won it, 2009 Costa Rica reaching 4th place and then going onto the quarter finals of the 2014 World Cup.

So the 2015 tournament just happened, who do you think in 2017 will break through and make the squad who will later on become a good player?

Being Peruvian I think the 2 best youth players are Arakaki and Iberico. Iberico has struggled to break into the youth teams as of late but Arakaki to my knowledge has stayed consistent. I think they'll make our under 20 South American championship squads. Roberto Siucho as well if he's still eligible next year.

BocaFan repped this.
  2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good thread. Although maybe started a bit early(?)

I'd also be interested to hear about the 2015 WC stars and which ones have progressed nicely since that tournament took place...

3. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Davinson Sanchez for Colombia, reached the semi-finals of the Copa Libertadores and is a new Ajax player. He's one of note that we'll probably look back on.

Despite Argentina having an awful 2015 U20 WC campaign, they still have a good squad. I'm sure Mammana and Correa will be looked back on in the future as well.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have high hopes for Davison. I would not be surprised if he is starting for Colombia by 2018.