Pre-match: Ukraine vs Oranje [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Mighty Dutch, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Players emerging as candidates for the big team are Maduro, Lens, Janssen, Fer and Vlaar. The Gio vacancy is still open.
    Bruma, besides my usual bitching, cannot be in the running without any serious playtime for a first club team. That would be a grave insult to all that play CD in a club.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Rather than highlight individual performances, to me the best news of last night was actually that most players on our third choice team looked more technically skilled and comfortable on the ball than the first choice Ukraine. That alone to me proves that the Dutch league still has the ability to produce good alround footballers.

We're a relatively small country compared to most football power houses so we can't assume we'll always have a generation of world beaters. But the fact that the basic skill level of even Dutch league footballers is relatively high is very good news.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I completely agree. What if (I know it's a big if but still) Wisgerhof for example does well in the CL and Bruma gets called up before him while still in the reserves. That would be a travesty. It's already a bit of a travesty now if you ask me.

And that's not saying I don't rate Bruma, I do. Give the boy some time though.

4. Mighty Dutch

Mighty Dutch Red Card

May 1, 2010
    Great post, dude!

I'm too lazy to do all the math but I'll take your word for its accuracy.

Bommel had his best tournament age 33, if our key midfielders (Sneijder & Robben) can maintain their form in 4 years Holland can win the Euro or the WC. Some players tend to lose it pretty quick though, I hope thats not the case with them

5. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Speed is a huge factor of Robben's game, will he still be able to make those runs at 30?

6. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Unsure, Rommedahl is still lightning quick at the age of 32

7. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very good point. I think injuries would be the worry with Robbin more than being 30.

8. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure he can be any more made of glass than he already is...;)