UFC 94: Penn vs. St. Pierre II :: 1/31, Las Vegas

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bison1997, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LIVE MATCHES
    * Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre vs. Lightweight Champion B.J. Penn (for Welterweight Championship)
    * Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva
    * Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones
    * Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim
    * Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

TAPED MATCHES
    * Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono
    * Manny Gamburyan vs. Thiago Tavares
    * John Howard vs. Chris Wilson
    * Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
    * Matt Arroyo vs. Dan Cramer

-- So yeah, pretty good main event here.
    -- Winner of Machida/Silva gets the first crack at Rashad?
    -- Diaz/Guida could be fun.

2. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little pissed because Dana White is making it seem like Liddell or Rampage will get first crack at Rashad, rather than the winner of Machida/Silva. I think the winner of that fight SHOULD get the shot, but in all likelihood (for marketing purposes), Rampage will get Rashad, and the winner of that fight will face the winner of Machida/Silva, assuming they win their filler fight between this Saturday and the title shot, probably against Jardine or Liddell.

3. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    That is wrong. I like both styles of Machia & T. Silva. You know Dana White likes to do things like this. Look how Brock got his belt. The fight w/ Nog & Mir should been for the UFC title, but Dana likes the publicity. Doesn't care about the dignity of it all.:(

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm hyped for it.

If I were a betting man I'd bank on it.

Could be? It will be great and has a good chance of being fight of the night.

I'm hoping to see a few of those taped matched.

Two days away and Karo hasn't pulled out with an injury yet?

5. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dana White has all but said that Rampage will get first crack if he beats Jardine. I am also interested in Kim/Parisyan, and I have a hankering suspicion that Kim is going to finish Parisyan in a (sort of) surprise victory. Karo has been slipping.

6. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couture was champ, and now the belt will be unified anyways, so wtf?

7. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nog/Mir was for the interim HW title, which they had to create during Randy's contract dispute. This tournament seems like a very fair way to work things out to me.

(Randy/Nog in the spring, maybe?)

8. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are the rumblings over at Sherdog. Everyone wants to see Couture/Nog, and I think Dana White will probably put it on the undercard for the Brock/Mir fight. That'd be a damn good PPV.

9. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baby Bitch Penn thoroughly dominated by the Champ, way to go Georgie!!:D

10. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Called GSp a quitter and what happened?

11. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had to get his brother to throw in the towel for him:p

12. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Daddy
    [​IMG]
    Bitch

13. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I am truly surprised by the ass whipping BJ Penn received. I did not think that was going to happen.

I am really pissed about that Parisyan decision. Kim won that fight for sure. Poor judging.

14. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    I agree on both those thoughts. That was an impressive and dominating performance from GSP. That man has to be P4P above Penn and Anderson Silva for me. The last 4 or 5 of his fights have been won in dominating fashion.

And the Parisyan v. Kim fight was close, with Kim winning the first and Karo winning the second, the 3rd was close but Kim might have been in a few more dominant positions. It might have been the Judo throws that Karo pulled to edge it out but I'm not sure. A draw would have been more appropriate.

Machida is a bad man too, I love really technical fighters and he is that. He needs a title shot. Dana White needs to stop this bu!!shit matchmaking and give this more than deserving fighter his shot. I know Rampage is next, but if Chuck beats Shogun, he might leapfrog everyone, somehow beating a Shogun that lost his Pride form = title shot.

15. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like Machida, completely unorthodox and unpredictable. His stance makes me think I'm watching a Bruce Lee movie.

16. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5/23 is shaping up to be a stacked show:

-- Brock/Mir
    -- Couture/Nog
    -- Matt Serra/Matt Hughes
    -- Sean Sherk/Frankie Edgar

I'll be watching. :D

17. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I was really impressed by Jon "Bones" Jones. Man, that dude dipped Bonner epically like two or three times.
    [​IMG]

18. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    with wec removing its welterweight division, anyone see condit going for the title soon? maybe make a lasting show for wec as it does away with its welterweight division

19. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    BJ is not suited for 170 lbs. Plus GSP was a slippery cuss with all that vasaline his handler put on him. He puts it on his face and wipes his hands off on GSP's back and arms. That is illegal in MMA no?
    ----------------------------------

The Karo fight was fun to watch. No matter what kind of position Kim had Karo in he stayed out of danger with his hand movment. A nery skillful defense in my view.

Karo said he thought Kim won the fight, but that wa not his call to make. That is why you never want a fight to go to a decision.

20. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    BJ got his ass whooped, but to disrespect him saying he's a bitch? Anderson Silva went up in weight and fought a scrub. BJ moved up in weight and fought the champ. Respect. He's the most talented fighter in MMA, bar none, and you can ask anyone involved in the UFC, Dana included.

I hear people say St. Pierre trains with the best in every discipline, which is impressive and definately helps prepare him. Whats even more impressive is BJ cleaned out his division training with "nobodies" and he's still considered the best. Raw talent...

21. LeetOwnage522

LeetOwnage522 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Doodlestan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nate Marquardt is one of his training partners...hardly "the best" in the world. I don't know who his BJJ instructor is either, but I highly doubt it's one of the top guys.

Also...Karo Parisyan tested positive for 3 banned painkillers for the fight. Probably going to be ruled a no contest.