UFC 79: Nemesis :: 12/29, Las Vegas [R]

Discussion in 'MMA' started by BigGuy, Nov 5, 2007.

1. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Matt Hughes v. Matt Serra *WW Title
    -Chuck Liddell v. Wanderlei Silva
    -Rich Clementi v. Melvin Guillard
    -Tony DeSouza v. Roan Carneiro
    -Manny Gamburyan v. Nate Mohr
    -Dean Lister v. Jordan Radev
    -Dan Henderson v. TBA
    -Doug Evans v. TBA

This is going to be a super card.

2. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    Re: UFC 79 Check this card out!!!!!

If it wasn't such a good card I would boycott it cuz I hate Gamburyans fighting style. All lay&pray. He is a bulldog but his fights are SO boring. I can't beleive Dana gave him a contract.

3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  4. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

Replacing Matt Serra on the card, with about 1 month notice.................

Ladies and Gentlemen.....................

Boys and Girls...........................

I give you

[​IMG]

this card returns to being one of the best MMA cards ever.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Kick ass.

If GSP wins does he then get the next title shot? Rematch in this case.

6. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

From what I have read, they have no clue the extent of Serra's injury and probably won't know up to the event.

So, UFC is going to call the winner, the interim champion.

Likeliest scenario is Serra is quick to recover and then three-six months later the interim champion matches up against Serra, the current champion.

However, if it takes Serra longer than the interim champion would go on and defend their title against whatever challengers the UFC will put in its place. Then when Serra returns, Serra v. interim. If Serra doesn't return, interim would become the actual champion.

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

You're spot on. Just found this piece which confirms what you said:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_y...14?slug=dm-stpierre112507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

And it looks like Serra sufferred a herniated disc and his doctors have yet to give a timetable for his return.

8. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: UFC 79: Nemesis :: 12/29, Las Vegas

While Serra's injury sucks (I was really looking forward to Serra/Hughes), and while it does kick ass that GSP has stepped up to the plate (UFC owes him a favor now, which is A Good Thing for him), Dana's gotta be a bit pissed that GSP's return is happening before they run Montreal in the spring. :D

-- Although, if GSP wins and Serra heals up, that would be a kick-ass rematch to do in Montreal.

-- I do think GSP's the best of the bunch and he took Serra WAY too lightly in April. That's not gonna happen again.

-- Thread title edited to give show date.

9. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

GSP, GSP, GSP, GSP!

This is the best card anyone could've asked. The last two PPV's were shite and if serra fought hughes, it would've been a snoozefest.

Lately, I've been watching WEC, it's way better then I expected.

10. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm a big WEC fan, too - young, hungry fighters and almost always good action.

There's actually a show coming up a week from Wednesday on Versus, for that matter...

11. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    They also added Lyoto machida v Rameau sokoudjou to this card.

Machida is a really good fighter, But I haven't seen Sok. fight. Apparently he's knocked out a couple of good guys though.

12. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Machida's good, but kinda boring to watch, IMO. And UFC has been stressing to its guys for a while now the need to put on exciting fights.

-- This could be a good time, if any of you are in NYC:

I can just see Serra doing a good hour of standup/ranting on Hughes before the show even starts...

13. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ten days out, here's what the show is looking like:

Live Matches:

* Matt Hughes vs. Georges St. Pierre (For Interim Welterweight Championship)
    * Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva
    * Lyoto Machida vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
    * Rich Clementi vs. Melvin Guillard
    * Soa Palalei vs. Eddie Sanchez

Taped Matches:

* Luis Cane vs. James Irvin
    * Manny Gamburyan vs. Nate Mohr
    * Dean Lister vs. Jordan Radev
    * Roan Carneiro vs. Tony DeSouza
    * Mark Bocek vs. Doug Evans

There are a lot of fun fighters on this show. Looking forward to it.

And I'm calling these results right now:

Sanchez, Split Decision

Clementi, Submission (Guillard was all talk and no walk when he was on TUF, and I haven't seen anything to convince me that anything's changed)

Machida, Unanimous Decision (It'll be boring, like all of Machida's fights)

Liddell, KO (Pride Fighters just haven't gotten it right in UFC, Rampage aside. Liddell NEEDS to win this fight)

GSP, Unanimous Decision (Hughes won't get knocked out again, but he still isn't beating GSP)

14. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    Nice calls, Bison. Here's what I think:

Silva vs. Lidell - If Lidell comes the same as his other fights (backtrack and counter-punch) Silva takes it, because Silva will do what Jardine did only better. But like always, Chuck's right is no joke and he can still catch Silva if he goes all axe-murderer and such.

GSP vs. Hughes - GSP is coming hard and he can stuff Hughes and even possibly outwrestle him (crazy I know, but he did it to Koscheck). But I agree with Bison, its probably going to decision with GSP as interim champ.

Machida vs. Sok - While logic would dictate that Machida is technically the better (and more boring) striker than Sok, thus most likely taking the fight, Sok is a bad man, knocking out two top ten guys in Arona and Lil Nog in devasting fashion. I say RTS with the knockout.

Clementi vs. Guillard - Coke head Guillard is a really hard striker, but I say Clementi with the sub. There is some beef between these two so this could be an interesting fight.

There you go, 79, Yarenokka and maybe even the IFL GP can make the 29th an MMA festival.

15. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for mentioning the IFL GP, I really should record it while I'm out watching UFC.

No HDNet, so I'll likely have to miss Yarenokka.

16. BrightEyesLA

BrightEyesLA New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Looking forward to this one, but no access to a tv. Streams for this? Anyone? Rep will come your way

17. Warwick the Warlock

Real Madrid
    Jun 12, 2006
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    The site says it will have it:

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

There feed is really just the TVU MMA feed, so we shall see. About 5 minutes away...

EDIT: MMA TV on TVU is showing it

18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    GSP just manhandled Hughes tonight. Notable how he was trying to smash his face into the mat during the first round. Impressive in how he won and what he said about the interim title.

Silva vs. Lidell was a classical and well worth it. I can see Silva still having a role in the UFC for some time to come.

Machida was just brutal in how he won. Loved how he asked if there were any more "assassins" out there.

Wasn't really impressed with the heavyweight bout. No much action there. Can't believe the Aussie had a 10" reach advantage.

Clementi was just nasty in his win.

Had Manny in his fight and he won rather impressively. Diaz better watch his back.

19. BrightEyesLA

BrightEyesLA New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Great Night. GSP proved once again he is the future of the WW division. MANHANDLED Hughes. Could anyone say that about Hughes 2 or 3 years ago? Liddell vs. Silva was WAY better then I expected. Awesome fight. I thought this one would end in a knockout. Overall, im pleased with the way UFC 79 went. UFC 80 isn't looking to promising though.

20. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but Penn/Stevenson could be worth the price of admission.

UFC 79 was a lot of fun. I got all the winners right, but not the ways of victory. :D

GSP owned Hughes. And really, he took Serra way too lightly the first time - he won't make that mistake again.

Liddell/Silva was a damn slugfest. Both needed the win, but Silva came out of that okay - UFC likes people who put on exciting fights. Maybe Liddell gets one more fight to keep him busy, then assuming he wins that, gets the winner of Rampage/Forrest?

Machida comes out of his shell a bit and actually finishes someone. Wow. Maybe UFC will keep him around after all.

Clementi was a prick, but deserved to win.

Sanchez was just kinda there. Hopefully Palalei never stinks up the UFC again.

21. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva v Liddell was worth the money. Liddell proved to me he has a stronger chin than I thought. Silva like most pride guys having a loosing start to his ufc career. Could it be the roids issue that has been discussed before? The card was pretty entertaining overall. Silva and liddell will fight again.