PBP: UEL - Manchester United FC vs FK Astana - Sep 19, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Rojo sub might have been inspired from Ole: Astana are going for it as the game is coming to a close, pressing our backline high and hard. Not sure Rojo would have been able to handle that kind of pressure without making a mistake.
    And it's game over. 1-0: should have been more but our finishing was lacking big time today.

J'can repped this.
  2. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thanks for the pbp. Any post game comments are welcome since I couldn't watch it.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the point of doing this really for the most part. But yeah, don't mention it...
    Another good game from Fred today, who really is making a case for more regular inclusion (and a run of games) going forward. Really like the energy he brings from midfield. Also had 2 good chances to score (and he's an option on freekicks as well).

benni... repped this.
  4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    it will be hard to say anything meaningful. any good highlights will be dampened by the assumed level of the opponent.

that and this was an XI of players with no significant minutes or any form to speak of bar Rashford. no creativity either so mirroring the first XI issue as well.

this is the best reasonable outcome we could have hoped for and no one got hurt. i'll take it

Amdrag repped this.
  5. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    He can't be as bad as Rashford in front of goal, can't be :(

6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Greenwood is so ********ing naturally gifted.

That kid was born to play football. He's not just a gifted athlete who happens to be pretty good at football.

He just looks like he belongs on a field.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  7. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    He's played twice in 5 years or something, and he'd been bombing up and down the flank.

That was a great finish by Mason. Lovely stuff. Reminded me of Son with the use of his two-footedness to outwit the defender, and the shot through the legs to beat the keeper. Really smart.

Rashford is so frustrating. Never mind the missed chances, it's the sloppiness of pass at the key moment and the refusal to release rather than try and do it all himself.

A shame to see Gomes pushed up so high, rather than dropping to dictate the play more. We should be having two of him outside the area controlling our attacks against the low block; instead he's pushed up against big defenders where he can do very little.

8. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Lol, at least you admitted you’re not watching.

J'can and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  9. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Hot take alert

jnielsen repped this.
  10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I saw that Mason scored but how did the kids look?

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    RVP style?

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The comparison is really not out of place the more you watch him. They even have the same running style by the looks of it.
    Definitely the best of the 3 attacking kids today and should see more minutes and games. Would sooner play him at CF right now over Rashford, if they're our only option at the position. Rash needs to be confined to the flanks, until he can regain his form that is...

13. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Mason and Angel looked bright at times, drifted a bit at others, but they’re both ready. Chong looked out of his depth. Rashford’s finishing was the weak link, he had something like 1.5xG in the first half alone.

jnielsen, Amdrag and benni... repped this.
  14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, definitely reminds me of RVP.

He's got a similar natural instinct for where the net is. While comfortable enough out wide right now, he probably will be a 9 hybrid of some type, like RVP or even Henry was.

In the words of DS, a 9.5.

He's got bloody brilliant intelligence and awareness for a kid, that's for sure. He just seems to float into places where he will cause most damage. I have no clue just how aware he is that he's doing it, but that continues to stand out for me.

He seem's to make more smart and assured choices that a typical player of his age.

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'll have to go back and watch a video of the game if I can find it. Mason and Gomes have shown flashes and look great at the youth level but in their PL cameos this season they havent been impressive. But I get that its hard for a kid to come on for 10 minutes and make an impact.

I also agree that Chong doesnt look anywhere close to being ready. He needs a couple more years at the youth level.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not sure Chong makes it any higher than a mid table players myself.

He's got some great attributes but I can't put my finger on it. Something seems missing with him. Intensity maybe?

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, more than any of the other kids, Chong is someone who could benefit from going out on loan somewhere. If he can find a good club, one where he'll have the chance at playing regularly, it should only help with his confidence and consistency.
    He's got the ability, having torn defenses apart at youth level. And I get that there is a difference in levels and quality, but it shows that he's got it in his locker and regular play will only make him sharper.
    And it does not necessarily need to be in England: wouldn't be opposed to sending him back to Holland or possibly the Bundesliga. And who knows he still might have a chance to make it.

19. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The other day he came on, he was afraid to take on the fullback one on one, not a good sign imo.

20. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    They both still seem hesitant, but when the ball is moving quickly and they don’t have time to think too much they come alive. I want to see them more with Martial and Pogba.

benni... repped this.
  21. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, agree. He plays scared relative to his skill level. He looks really overawed by the stage. More than all the other kids.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    johno repped this.
  23. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    The Norwegian Moyes was probably hoping he gets a few goals to build his confidence up

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good result but even better thing was minutes for fringe players. Unable to watch but the numbers from the game for Fred were out of this world. He was all over the pitch and very accurate w/ his passing both long and short, also created 3 chances. Promising to see him get a run out and look sharp. We may need him.

Good data also for Rojo who from a statistical standpoint was our best outlet. Tuanzebe's numbers looked like what they were always going to look like against dross. He was interviewed after the match and was so composed and mature. I'm happy to have him in our squad. We really need to get him minutes. He could be special. If we can bed him in next to AWB, we could lock up the right side of our defense for years on end.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sensible and solid punditry today from M. Owen for a change.