UEFA World Cup qualifiers

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by shlj, Apr 4, 2017.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Beerensteyn scored and Geurts made some good interventions, so in the end it looks like Netherlands didn't suffer too much from the missing starters. :coffee:

Speaking about Shanice Van de Sanden, did she have someone in particular to remember, when she pointed at the sky after the goals? :cautious:

2. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Are your PM messages switched off?

3. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The Swiss have many weapons on offense who can score.
    The Dutch lay an egg from time to time.

If Netherlands brings their A-Game, it's a wrap. Dutch move on to the World Cup.
    But if not, it opens the door for Switzerland to win with their offensive firepower.

And if they draw in one game, and the other game is a shootout, that favors Switzerland in terms of the type of match they are comfortable in.

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Did Wiegman give any reason why she didn't start Miedema? & rumours persist that someone in Denmark just ordered a stock pile of these babys, lol
    Amazon.com: astro turf
    is there any highlights of the Swiss/Belgium game? I've read that the Swiss blond bombshell, Alisha Lehmann, scored(as man can not live by Alex Morgan alone(well technically they can)

5. It were 16000 fans. Wonder how many got disappointed after that 50 minutes sell out.

blissett repped this.
  6. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Tue 9 Oct - Denmark v Netherlands - 2nd leg - (16:00 GMT / 18:00 CEST)
    Energi Viborg Arena, Viborg

Tue 9 Oct - Switzerland v Belgium - 2nd leg - (17:00 GMT / 19:00 CEST)
    at Tissot Arena in Biel/Bienne

The Denmark-Netherlands game should be available on the Danish host broadcaster DR1 (US time: 12 noon ET). The Switzerland-Belgium game, an hour later, is streaming in some locations[?] on the Swiss FA site and TV SRF Zwei.

Actually the article by the Netherlands' NOS sounds very pessimistic:

:oops: No, they didn't mean it like that.

- Auto-translated: https://nos.nl/artikel/2254004-oranje-wil-misverstand-in-noorwegen-rechtzetten-in-denemarken.html (Archived)

According to AD.nl, van Veenendaal and Miedema are both available, but the Netherlands hadn't named their starting XI yesterday.

On Denmark's side, they'll pile on the pressure and are hoping to exploit the defensive weaknesses, but it's certainly an uphill struggle:

- Auto-translated: https://www.bt.dk/fodbold/de-danske-fodboldkvinder-gaar-til-angreb-mod-holland (Archived)

blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wouldn't mind watching one of these games (especially the Denmark-Netherlands one), if I'll have some spare time this afternoon, so I hope none of these streaming feeds will be geo-blocked or behind a pay-wall.

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Denmark-Netherlands started and it's 0-0 at 2'. I probably won't follow the match entirely, but I am going to watch at least a part of it, just to have a feeling of how things are going. :)

9. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Netherlands' Miedema and van Veenendaal are on the bench again:

[​IMG] Johansen, Veje, Arnth-Jensen, Sorensen, Nielsen, Thogersen, Junge- Pedersen, Christiansen, Troelsgaard, Harder, Nadim

[​IMG] Geurts, Van Lunteren, Van Es, Bloodworth, Dekker, Groenen, Spitse, Van der Donk, Van der Sanden, Beerensteyn, Martens

blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bloodworth is Jansen's married name, isn't it?

11. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    4th minute - penalty Denmark, Harder was fouled in the area

blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Crystal-clear penalty for Denmark at 3'!!! And it was Bloodworth indeed to make the foul! :eek:

Nadim just scored at 4', and this could give the match the direction Denmark wanted for it!

13. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Goal Denmark, 1-0 - Nadia Nadim sends Geurts the wrong way (5th min)

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am afraid that Netherlands' defense could crumble as it did in the first half of the Norway's match: there was already a dangerous Denmark's action soon after the goal... :unsure:

15. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nevermind my worries!!! :x3: Beerensteyn just scored at 6' with an header from FK and now Denmark have to score 3 more goals: I am not saying Nethrlands secured the qualification already, because it's very early in a match that promises to be quite energetic, but for sure now Danish players have a quite uphill struggle in front of them.

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As incredible as it can sound, given how good Miedema has always been as a scorer, so far the decision of starting Beerensteyn over her did indeed pay, since she scored both in the 1st and in the 2nd leg of this clash vs Denmark. :coffee:

18. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    26th minute, Spitse hits the bar with a free-kick, tipped on the way by GK Johansen.

Fairly even traffic so far, attacks maybe slightly in the Netherlands' favour

blissett repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Danielle Van de Donk is being manhandled (womenhandled? :cautious:) by Danish players: two YCs in a few minutes for fouls against her. Not sure is a good strategy: Netherlands is strong with FKs and quite scored with Spitse after the second of this fouls, as Danish GK had to deflect her FK on the crossbar.

By the way, Van de Donk looks quite short: how tall is she?

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, and I guess this is quite the way Netherlands wants the game to go, with back-and-forth hits. We're past 35' right now and actually it's not like I can't see Denmark score three other goals: it's I can't really see them score three unresponded goals! :coffee:

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By the way: the Danish coach is not the one who led the team to the final of Euro 2017. Where did that guy go?

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I missed the first 10 minutes of the match but looks like Dutch pressure on the ball is too much for Denmark so far. A second goal from the Dutch should seal the tie.

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    HT 1-1.

Two goals in the first 6 minutes, then an interesting open match but no more scoring.

I will try to watch the first part of 2nd half, but I am surely going to miss at least the last minutes of it. Anyway, as I said, I can't see Denmark scoring three more goals without taking at least another, so I am quite confident Netherlands will advance. :coffee:

24. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    First - China U-20, next is Switzerland NT (after WWC qual.)

blissett repped this.
  25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Congratulations: perfectly in time to miss both goals! :D

Orange14 repped this.