UEFA Women's under 17/19 Championship

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Lusankya, Mar 31, 2011.

1. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The commentators too joked about it....but may be ABBA were far-sighted: :laugh:

Gilmoy and blissett repped this.
  2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Spain's future just continues to get brighter and brighter.
    Germany will always remain a power (although France is the one team that can overtake them).
    Dutch just can't get over the hump, but are still improving.
    Norway, well, the glory days were behind them more so than in front of them, but still competitive.

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is the wrong age group to start assessing the potential of entire programs, no? For all of the surface level validation of end results, surely a more informed view of the U-15/17 international stage just showcases how inconsistent everything actually still remains.

This probably best showcased in the facts that Germany the only nation to qualify for every junior level WC, but maintain a poor series of results at the U-17 world finals. While an established program like Norway's has never qualified for U-17 WC's, yet continues to produces genuine elite/world class talents at a higher rate than various regional rivals for their senior team.

I mean Germany only qualified for this Euro's event after losing to England, leaving them requiring a best runner up spot to see them eligible to compete at the Euro finals... so I can only imagine the kind of reactionary posts around here if this non WC cycle Euro's was currently taking place without the holders.

4. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    I think as time goes by, and the women's game continues to evolve (at all age levels), these youth tournaments are a better gauge of upcoming young talent than they were in the past. It used to be a total crap-shoot before. Now it's only a half crap-shoot.

5. applepie71

applepie71 Red Card

Oct 17, 2016
    [​IMG]
    business as usual

Romario'sgurl, gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  6. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Germans and penalties...

blissett repped this.
  7. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Congratulations Germany but Spain keep on making the same old mistakes at Junior level...great ball possession but forget to shoot on target too often...and football is a simple sport, if you can't score you can't win....as a French I know what I am talking about.
    I wasn't really impressed by the game plays however, not only because the rain made it hard for tidy passes but also because frankly there wasn't many talented players out there.
    From Spain I say captain Aleixandri and left winger Andujar for Germany goalie Stina Johannes was impressive than we have the strange case of Lena Oberdorf.
    Despite being only 15 years old, Lena is clearly head and shoulder above the rest, superb two footed player, great physical attributes and athletism, young Oberdorf is destinated to superstardom very soon but the problem I had was her positionning during the game.
    I don't understand why on earth coach Anouschka Bernhard decided to put her in a deep lyinng position just in front of the defense when it was clear (even to Eurosport broadcaster) that with all her technical/physical talent her natural position is AM or FW where she could have scored easily 2/3 goals....Spanish players simply couldn't stop her...why not making your best player comfortable and risking to loose the game?...If Spain won the penaltys shoot out that decision would have been one of stupidest ever..

8. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's why I'm still adamant the women's game needs the Olympic's to be a U-23 event, as the international levels youth coaching remains a clear example of this "half crap-shoot" process we get to assess talent, leaving me constantly skeptical of the strangely unquestioned legitimacy behind the supposed high level coaching many of these nations are said to provide their youngest age groups...:cautious:

Right now, with established programs like Germany only getting serious about their U-15/16's very recently (last year), the idea women's football is strong enough to end it's international youth cycle at the U-19/20 stage should be viewed as farcical.

gricio61 repped this.
  9. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Congrats to Germany but when does the big girls' Euro start? We've been waiting forever!!

blissett repped this.
  10. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    They should not make the Olympics as a U-23 event for the women.
    There are only two major tournaments in the world that the women showcase themselves.
    Their club championships are far inferior to the coverage and exposure the men get.
    But the World Cup and Olympic coverage is much more detailed, and all they have.

Europe has the UEFA tournament, but Australia, Japan, China, South Korea, New Zealand, Nigeria, Brazil, Colombia, Canada, Costa Rica, Mexico, and USA can't compete in that.

As for the Algarve, Cyprus, and SheBelieves Cup, and any other select tournaments, I definitely would love to see some U-23 teams going against each other in those. Obviously in 2019 (and any other World Cup year), the senior teams would be competing in them to prepare themselves for the World Cup.

blissett repped this.
  11. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #836 Batfink, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Ohhh... rant time lol.. @WWC_Movement What your saying is appearing like a false narrative now, as global TV numbers and the empty seats suggests that beyond the hosts cares about the women's football tournament until the final; this coming from somebody who just witnessed Germany's first ever gold medal, receive minimal attention compared to scenes that occur after winning a world cup... meaning this special Olympic level dispensation is beginning to make less and less sense over time.

Yeah, CONMEBOL still struggles for development at senior level, but for the ridiculous size of the AFC and the CAF, they still produce pretty competitive championships for their women. So I'd look at issues closer to home before casting disappearing assertions on tournaments, that easily showcase more interest and development than anything witnessed within CONCACAF.

So with a U-23 Olympics could CONCACAF and CONMEBOL miss out on important senior team development... yes; but if we're being honest here, whenever we talk about the America's and senior wnt football, we're only talking about the usual suspects of Brazil, USA, Canada, Mexico (can't really count Colombia just yet).

Introduce every region to a U-23 Olympic cycle though, where FIFA increases the numbers of participants at the finals, the larger list of nations able to qualify and take serious roles within an open tournament is only beneficial towards increasing the overall quality of women's football, no?

The idea FA's and Fed's continue with the process of cutting off female youth development at U-19/20, should be seen as ridiculous. Witnessing how much better the inclusion of an U-17 WWC cycle has made the U-15/16 levels, surely a healthy U-23 Olympic cycle bleeds over benefits into the senior level too. Tradition and fallacy's of amplified exposure do nothing if neutrals can't even remember 3 names on either team during the last final lol.

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am sure I can name a few nations that have intermediary teams between the U19 and the seniors and they don't need the Olympics.

blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    One of them is Japan.

14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, I get it... everything's fine when your living inside an echo chamber.

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I see the trolling is back

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The last U19 Elite Round Group is coming up with games tomorrow 7th, 9th and 12th
    Germany Iceland, Switzerland and Poland.
    France are still the best runner-up with 4 points and a 3-1 goal difference.

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Germany 4 Iceland 0
    Switzerland 0 Poland 0

Lechus7 repped this.
  18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Germany v Switzerland and Iceland v Poland today

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Germany 2 Switzerland 0
    Poland 2 Iceland 1

1 Germany 6 pts
    2 Poland 4 pts
    3 Switzerland 1 pt
    4 Iceland 0 pt

Switzerland and Iceland cannot qualify for the finals.

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Germany 7 Poland 1
    Iceland 2 Switzerland 2

Germany win group 6, France finish as the best runner-up, the 8 teams through to the finals are

England, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Spain.

blissett and gricio61 repped this.
  21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The draw was made yesterday :

Tuesday 8 August (all times CET; local time is 1 hour behind)

Group A
    Scotland v Germany (Belfast) 16:00
    Northern Ireland v Spain (Belfast) 20:00
    Group B
    Italy v England (Lurgan) 16:00
    France v Netherlands (Ballymena) 16:00

Friday 11 August
    Group A
    Germany v Spain (Portadown) 16:00
    Northern Ireland v Scotland (Lurgan) 20:00
    Group B
    Italy v France (Belfast) 16:00
    Netherlands v England (Belfast) 20:00

Monday 14 August
    Group A
    Germany v Northern Ireland (Ballymena) 20:00
    Spain v Scotland (Lurgan) 20:00
    Group B
    Netherlands v Italy (Portadown) 16:00
    England v France (Ballymena) 16:00

Thursday 17 August
    Semi-finals

TBC v TBC (Belfast) 16:00
    TBC v TBC (Belfast) 20:00

FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup play-off – if required
    TBC v TBC (Ballymena) 16:00

Sunday 20 August
    Final

Semi-final 1 v Semi-final 2 (Belfast) 20:30

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  22. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Today is the first match-day of the Euro U-19 in Northern Ireland

France - Netherlands
    Italy- England
    Scotland - Germany
    Northern Ireland - Spain

The first 3 matches will be at 3 pm local time (4 pm CET), the fourth at 7 pm (8 pm CET), and looks like all the matches will be broadcasted on Eurosport.
    I'm too lazy to open a new thread, but if someone does it I won't complain....:p

debzy and blissett repped this.
  23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    England squad photo -
    [​IMG]

gricio61 repped this.
  24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    895000179962675200 is not a valid tweet id

Juanele and blissett repped this.
  25. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Nice goal. I see that are youth are following the footsteps of all of our teams. Lots of shots and opportunities but no finishers.

blissett repped this.