UEFA Women's Champions League 2017/18

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by pauley, May 26, 2017.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Chelsea rolling over Rosengard now... :thumbsup:

2. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Summary of today's CL action:

BIIK Kazygurt vs Lyon 0-7
    Hegerberg 5,19(p),73,90, Abily 44, Majri 47, Le Sommer 75

Gintra vs Barcelona 0-6
    Bonmati 36, Mariona 44,57, Duggan 68, Garcia 82, Andonova 89

Brescia vs Montpellier 2-3
    B: Girelli 8,37 - M: Blackstenius 30, Cayman 42, Sembrant 58

Sparta Prague vs Linköping 1-1
    S: Strom 47 - L: Hurtig 54

Fiorentina vs Wolfsburg 0-4
    Gunnarsdottir 49,60, Harder 54, Popp 73

Chelsea vs Rosengård 3-0
    Kirby 33, Bachmann 66, Flaherty 73

Tomorrow:
    LSK Kvinner vs Manchester City (6:30pm)
    Stjärnan vs Slavia Prague (8:00pm)

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think they are stupid and greedy... unbelievable

blissett repped this.
  4. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

thanks for the link! Chelsea seems to have something for everyone; the athleticism of Dunn & Thorisdottir, the excellent combination/chemistry & hustle of Ji, Kirby & Bachmann as well the always physical Chapman at DM. Their one problem might be that they can't sustain the momentum for the entire game; there were lapse where Rosengard took charge for a while(and they did seem to have the same problem with Munich), got the feeling a stronger opponent will take advantage of that.
    questions here for........just about everybody

Bauser........why does the Norway NT coach puts Thorisdottir at CB when she looks so good out in the open field/or especially wide?

Thomsen........what the bleep happened to former Jones fav, Mittag? I'm mean she only got in at the 60th min, never touched the ball, and seemed more like a deterrent, since they went form one goal down to three

Blissett........finally the return of Ji as starter(she's lately been on the bench) & making some brilliant passes as play maker. This is what they should do over at Frankfurt with your fav, Yama-???. She's flubbing as a striker(with 2 goals for something like 13th in BUND scoring), but she's got some great dribbling moves. Whether NT or club, being an AM might suit her better

Shlj.......... this might be an odd question but it bugs the cheepers out of me! Why are the English female coaches(Hayes, Harvey, Marley, ect) so out of shape? I means, a coach should be leading by example. Sorry, but it just gives me the impression their not going to condition their teams properly if they can't keep themselves fit

vanjory and WiminzSoccerRocks repped this.
  6. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    because we lack center backs, there’s more players to take from in midfield (why the hell Schelderup is a starter is a mystery for me). The best would be to have Maren and Marin in midfield, but that won’t happen with the player pool we have.

Mittag’s done, she was poor in the Olympics and in the Euro’s. Great and a clever player at her best (really good then), but easily tamed

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No need for body-shaming those coaches. It does not affect their ability. And I have no clue what they do in their personal life...

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thorisdottir looked great coming down on the wide/outside right. Wonder if the NT coach thinks he's got Caro all ready there so need to have both?(but couldn't he then just switch Caro higher to right striker? After all she loves taking shots these days(vs Freiburg)

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not surprised at all by Ji's quality.

I stand by what I said about "you-pretend-not-knowing-her-name" Kumi Yokoyama: she an out-and-out striker. It's true that, in current Frankfurt line-up, she's shining in other roles (assist for Crnogorcevic two weeks ago; also, she takes all of Franfurt's CKs), but I don't think she's the play-maker kind of player.

10. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Maria is a utility player. She might pop-up wide in some match in the near future also for Norway. Right now she is most needed in central defence. Regarding yesterday, Chelsea played against a weakened Rosengård team who have struggled quite a bit after the summer break, so Chelsea looked very superior and that made Thorisdottir act more like a winger than a full-back.

11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Best attended matches in Champions League this season:

4822 - Lyon v Medyk Konin
    4528 - Avaldsnes v Barcelona
    2881 - Fiorentina v Fortuna Hjørring
    2520 - Zürich v Gintra Uni.
    2236 - St. Pölten v Manchester City
    2136 - Chelsea v Bayern Munich
    2030 - Brescia v Ajax
    2000 - Minsk v Slavia Prague

Most clubs struggle to pull 2000, even established clubs with financial backing. Average attendance is just in excess of 1000 so far. It will probably improve when "big name" clubs meet later in the competition.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Machester City making Lillestrom look like Gintra Unis! Ouch.

blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, I was going to post my "Ouch!" right now! :x3: Bauser was right in doubting LSK's strength.

One could even wonder if, after Euro 2017, the fact that Norwegian champions are beaten by 0-5 at home in round of 16 of WCL isn't the sign of a general bad trend for Norwegian women's football... :unsure:

14. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The signs been there for years, you can see it with Rosengård in Sweden as well. The biggest clubs in Europe are gonna dominate for both genders, England, France, Germany... Spain.

15. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Tonight's results:

LSK Kvinner vs Manchester City 0-5
    Stokes 26, Christiansen 40(p), Emslie 69, Ross 74,78

Stjärnan vs Slavia Prague 1-2
    S: Pedersen 69 - SP: Divisova 36, Svitkova 71(p)

This was LSK's worst home defeat in history - all competitions. I predicted before the season (in the Norway thread) they would finish third in Toppserien because of all the key players they lost after their budget was reduced. LSK handled the domestic rivals well and over-achieved in that aspect, and could also beat teams like Brøndby in Europe, but ambitious top clubs like Man City was too much. Simply outclassed.

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wasn't expecting such a strong side either from MC since they lost Bronze, Duggan & Lloyd from last spring's lineup. But they still got 7 English NT members on their squad, yet their coach claims the best player on his team is his DM, the non senior NT named Walsh. Then I've been hearing nothing but raves about their Scottish girl, Emslie who didn't make her even her own NT Eueo squad, but seems headed for super stardom they way fans talk about her. That was about the same thing we hearing though last year though about their 17 year old sharpshooter, Stanway. But the one like most is their old style winger, Lawley who also didn't made the Euro squad but looked quite good for 10 minute debut for England a few weeks back

MC might of been actually a bit too over stuffed last spring when their simply was no place to play all the players. Their probably an more effective unit now since/or at least more playing time together since those other stars left

17. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Tonight's action - Round of 16 - second leg:

Lyon vs BIIK Kazygurt 9-0 (16-0 on aggregate)
    Majri 12, Hegerberg 32,36,46,58(p), Abily 43,69,83, Cascarino 73

Rosengård vs Chelsea 0-1 (0-4 on aggregate)
    Soyun 53

Wolfsburg vs Fiorentina 3-3 (7-3 on aggregate)
    W: Wullaert 30,32, Gunnarsdottir 71 - F: Mauro 2, Rinaldi 60, Brazil 81

Linköping vs Sparta Prague 3-0 (4-1 on aggregate)
    Hurtig 18, Minde 78, Sørensen 86

Barcelona vs Gintra 3-0 (9-0 on aggregate)
    Alexia 35, Duggan 44, Alekperova 76(og)

Montpellier vs Brescia 6-0 (9-2 on aggregate)
    Dekker 19, Jakobsson 25, Veje 37, Toletti 67, Leger 81, Virginia 85

Tomorrow:
    Slavia Prague vs Stjärnan
    Manchester City vs LSK Kvinner

vanjory, blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  18. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Tonight's action:

Slavia Prague vs Stjärnan 0-0 (2-1 on aggregate)

Manchester City vs LSK Kvinner 2-1 (7-1 on aggregate)
    M: Christiansen 46, Parris 73 - L: Berget 17

That sums up the Round of 16.

Clubs through to the quarter-finals: Wolfsburg, Linköping, Chelsea, Barcelona, Lyon, Montpellier, Slavia Prague and Manchester City.

There are no restrictions on the quarter-finals draw which will be made November 24th.

Lechus7 repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So there could be two national derbies: OL-Montpellier and Chelsea-Manchester City.

I am very curious about the draw: it could sketch a clear path to the final match. :coffee:

20. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    So the top 12 in the country ranking for 2019/20 are set then. Scotland back in from 2018/19, and Norway out. Note : An LSK win yesterday wouldn't have been enough without advancing.

1 Germany78,5 --- 1 still in
    2 France72,5 --- 2
    3 Sweden59 --- 1
    4 England 53,5 --- 2
    5 Spain 49 --- 1
    6 Denmark 36,5
    7 Chech Republic 34,5 --- 1
    8 Italy 34,5
    9 Switzerland 33
    10 Russia 31,5
    11 Scotland 25,5
    12 Austria 25,5
    ------
    13 Netherlands 25
    14 Kazakhstan 24
    15 Norway 24
    16 Iceland 21
    17 Poland 20
    18 Lithuana 19

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It is incredibly tight between places 11 and 15 and really a good draw can do wonder to get precious ranking points.

blissett repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's a couple of full, 2nd leg games courtesy of the English;

Man City vs Rpsengard

Chelsea vs Rosengard,

Montepelier vs Brescia highlights,
    Blissett & gricieo; the Catenaccio defense at it's best?(Jakobsson goal, lol)

in other news pertaining CL clubs.
    ah, the power of American college soccer still asserts itself as former college star & just turned pro, Jackie Simpson scores the only goal as her Canary Islands team upsets Barcelona. Now incredibly, Athletico Madrid(who WOB destroyed 12-2 in the CL) now stands on top of the Spanish/Primera standings

Lyon has just announced the signing of former college & current USWNT star, Morgan Brian.
    In her statement;..........Lyon scoring so far this season leaving in 2 goals in while scoring 75 too little of a disparity! With me on there, no one will ever score against Lyon again!
    in response, Renard, Buchanen. Bronze & the other defenders have issued this statement;
    we will never, never give up our Canasta card game, (which we play at midfield) for a snob newbie!

just kidding!(with those statements)

blissett repped this.
  23. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Draw was made today:

Quarter-finals 21/22 & 28/29 March

Montpellier vs Chelsea
    Wolfsburg vs Slavia Prague
    Manchester City vs Linköping
    Lyon vs Barcelona

Semi-finals 21/22 & 28/29 April

Montpellier/Chelsea vs Wolfsburg/Slavia Prague
    Manchester City/Linköping vs Lyon/Barcelona

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No national derbies.

I predict no upset; for me:

semifinals
    Chelsea-Wolfsburg
    Manchester City-OL

Subsequently, I'd see Chelsea beating Wolfsburg by a small margin:

final
    Chelsea-OL

winner
    OL

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not only are there no national derbies in the QFs, but it's impossible to have a derby in the SFs. On the other hand, we can have not one but TWO possible national derbies in the final, since not only do we have the French teams on opposite sides of the draw, but English teams too!

blissett repped this.