UEFA Women's Champions League 2016/17

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by pauley, Jun 8, 2016.

1. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    The teams are confirmed (not by UEFA for now) and Konin (http://www.medykkonin.pl/index.php?tresc=aktualnosc&id_news=394) published the qualifying hosts today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_UEFA_Women's_Champions_League#Teams

There will be 59 teams from 47 associations.
    -23 go into round of 32
    -36 enter qualifying (9 groups x 4 teams), only group winners advande.

Not entering are: Georgia, Luxembourg, Armenia (did not enter champion) - Gibraltar, Andorra (no 11-a-side league) - Azerbaijan, Liechtenstein, San Marino (no league at all)

After the men's clubs were denied entry this season, Kosovo actually enters a women's team. :) See : http://www.ffk-kosova.com/en/?p=10619

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmm.... I'd like to see the full list of club coefficients. Right now, it looks like the Wiki article just put all qualifiers from the top 11 nations and the champion of the 12th nation as directly qualifying to the R32, but I know UEFA has individual club coefficients and the split for R32/QR is supposed to be on the individual club rankings.... I find it hard to believe that Zurich and Alvandes are ranked lower than Hibernian.

3. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/25/55/93/2255593_DOWNLOAD.pdf (I guess it's a previous one)

Here some new info.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's for last year's ranking, and it only includes clubs that have appeared in the previous 5 editions. Zurich will thus have an advantage over Hibernian, though I guess Alvandes won't which surprises me because I thought they had qualified for the UWCL before. So I guess it makes sense Hibernian is ranked over Alvandes, though the difference will be only 1/3 of the difference between their country rankings, i.e. half a point. Zurich, though, will have points from four of the previous five editions, so there's no way those are worth less than the 2/3pt difference from the country rankings. Zurich should be in the R32 over Hibernian, and the previous Wiki editors were working off an incorrect assumption.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Now that I'm digging through the document, I'm guessing that Standard Liege should also be going straight to the R32, though over who I'm not exactly sure - I think likely FSK St. P-S.

6. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Entry round is based solely on the association ranking. Thus Scotland>Norway>Switzerland.

Club coefficient then only is used for seeding the round of 32 and round of 16. Zürich have indeed a pretty high coefficient, and will be seeded, when they win their group.

So current seeding is like:

14 Verona (ITA) 25.705
    15 Slavia Praha (CZE) 25.550
    16 Chelsea (ENG) 24.830

Only Neulengbach (41.065) when they finsish second in the league and FC Zürich (SUI) 34.240 if they advance from qualifying have enough points to become seeded in the round of 32. Next highest ranked club Apollon (CYP)* 23.940 willat best the 17th ranked team. Because of that Verona is assured seeding and Slavia/Chelsea might drop out.

blissett repped this.
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Pretty sure that was scrapped when they expanded the number of federations getting 2 teams and allowing the TH direct qualification.

8. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Okay, hang on - I clearly remember the discussion being that entry to the R32 was based on club coefficient, I've found now the Access Lists at the veeeeerrry back (pg 53) of the regulations document. Stupid, but I guess that's how it is.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Woooooooow Neulengbach didn't even get runner-up in Austria this year... @_@

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    *blows dust off thread*
    One week until qualifying group play starts!
    I think groups 2-5 are pretty clear-cut as to who will advance, but what are people's thoughts on the other groups? I'm not well-versed in the smaller UEFA countries' teams.

13. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    My guesses:
    Apollon will win group 1. And their win against Kosovo's Hajvalia could probably reach the record of 21:0.
    Group 6 will probably be SFK with the home advantage. Zylodub second.
    Group 7 should be won by Gintra.
    Group 8 should be won by PK.
    Group 9 most likely Twente.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Those were my guesses as well, but in each case I had questions....
    1 - Apollon failed to advance last year, and I was wondering what PAOK's chances thus were
    6 - SFK has only advanced out of the groups 2/12 times
    7 - Gintra have the best history, but BIIK last year did really well
    8 - ...I got Alvandes confused with a different Norway side. Agree here! :D
    9 - Definitely Twente's to lose after their performance last year, but I could see a Belediyespor upset

15. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    In my (completely unbiased) opinion Avaldsnes will wreck this group and win it over some Finnish team.

16. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    The ranking sucks as usual, But then again it isn't really a ranking system it is a reward system for past performances and a way to punish leagues with high parity between it's team.

If it actually was a ranking system it should assume that the team that actually qualifies from a country isn't worse than the ones that failed to qualify.

Pretty sure Avaldens will beat PK-35 and win group 8. Twente should win group 9 and Apollon group 1.
    But group 6 and 7 I don't have a clue about.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, the ranking system by club don't affect the group stage at all, it'll only affect the pairings in the knockout phase. Apollon, Avaldens, and Twente are in the groups because their leagues overall haven't done much of note in the competition.

18. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Gr. 4

Olimpia Cluj Napoca 7 - 1 Pärnu JK
    (Popa 3' 7' 45' , Vatafu 21', Voicu 39', Lunca 50' 60' - Morkovkina 37')

gricio61 repped this.
  19. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Group 8:

Avaldsnes v Newry City Ladies 11-0
    Andreia Rosa 22
    Maren Mjelde 26
    Hege Hansen 44, 46, 48
    Cecilie Pedersen 52, 54, 70, 90
    Elise Thorsnes 63
    Leticia Santos 64

Good European debut!

20. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Not for Newry City. :p

Okay, matchday 1 is over: http://www.uefa.com/womenschampionsleague/season=2017/standings/index.html

Some surprises:
    Grp1: Hajvalia drawing against PAOK.
    Grp2: Liege losing to Minsk. Minsk looks strong and will win the group now.
    Grp3: Spartak only drawing against Breidablik. Both should win last two matches. It's a race for goal difference now.
    Grp8: Should be Avaldsnes easy now.

gricio61 repped this.
  21. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I'm not surprised! :p

Anyway, they beat Benfica 6-1 today. PK-35 did win their match against Newry 2-0, so they might manage to steal it in the last round still, but it's looking unlikely.

Goals for Avaldsnes: Magnúsdóttir x2, Hansen x2, Benites, Thorsnes.
    Benfica: Mafalda

22. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Also, just posting it here instead of necroing last year's thread:

Ada Hegerberg won the Best Women's Player Europe award today!

gricio61, exref and debzy repped this.
  23. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    uhm little bit surprised tho... I mean Hegerberg is playing on the best team by far in the french league where only PSG feminino may challenge them, but she's a great player tho

24. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    but i would've rather see Henry winning the title

25. HazzaMidd

HazzaMidd Member

Apr 12, 2014
    England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Going into the final round of matches in a few hours time...

Group 1: Apollon Limassol are already qualified, honestly I think PAOK will be disappointed especially against Hajvalia but Kosovo's League system is better than you think it would be
    Group 2: Minsk are looking very strong, among their level anyway, big wins versus Standard and Osijek, they could pose a threat to a bigger club in the Round of 32 I think, they are qualified with a match to spare.
    Group 3: A three way race to qualify, Spartak Subotica an Breioablik (Quarterfinal in 2007 of the UEFA Women's Cup? A comeback I think) are one point ahead of Cardiff going into the final matchday. One the toughest to predict of the groups, Spartak are favorites really especially playing Sofia who are pointless so far. Breioablik are quite big favorites again Cardiff, but I think Spartak will just about go through.
    Group 4: Slightly less threat from Parnu then maybe expected but everyone was expecting a Medyk Konin - Olimpia Cluj playoff to qualify, and that the result. Big few weeks for Cluj as they host the EURO2017 crucial qualifier between Romania - Ukraine. Medyk Konin on history anyway are the better versed in these circumstances but I think Olimpia Cluj will draw and progress. If I can find it this is the game I'm watching!
    Group 5: Again a pretty much expected playoff between Pomurje and Zürich Frauen. Zurich for me but it should be a close call tomorrow, just from experience even I think they'll progress but Pomurje will certainly give them a test.
    Group 6: Avoiding defeat against Kharkiv will mean Sarajevo 2000 will go through to the Round of 32 draw, but Ramat should beat Rigas pretty easily and give us an interesting finale. The lack of strength in Ukraine club football is pretty sad and even the national team might be bested by Romania to EURO2017, so judging by their previous showings Sarajevo should have enough to progress.
    Group 7: Two years in a row Wexford are in a group of death and twice they are out. Beaten by both Gintra and BIIK Kazygart who will play on Sunday to qualify. Certainly at home, in Central Asia, BIIK pose a threat but away from that it's hard to judge really in matches against Frankfurt and Barcelona in recent seasons. Of course Gintra weren't even too far away from a Quarterfinal in 2015 but they have stagnated, failing to get out of their group last season. UEFA certainly think this will be a hard match, probably the highest rated UEFA First Category referee, Florence Guillemin (usually leads OL - PSG matches) will take charge. I think BIIK are the favourites and a stronger side, but Gintra will fancy their chances but even looking at their previous record at this stage should make the Kazakhs favorites for me.
    Group 8: Avaldsnes have made a very good start to Champions League football and having beaten Benfica they would be the favorites to avoid defeat versus PK- Vantaa and qualify top. Especially considering the Portuguese team team beat the Champions of Finland 2-1. It is a very early start in Southern Finland but I would be surprised if Avaldsnes aren't having a celebration lunch post match!
    Group 9: FC Twente created one of the biggest upsets in UEFA Women's Champions League history by knocking out the Bundesliga champions on away goals in a rainy Munich last season. Anyway with the trouble the club are having this could even be their last season, and a loss Konak would mean they are eliminated. The Turkish Champions are traditionally solid and and upset wouldn't be too surprising. One can't count out Ferencváros also, but Twente should really get the draw that sees them progress to the Round of 32 again.

I hope you like my effort, I'm Harry and I am a big fan of your forums I think you talk complete sense. Anyway enjoy the matches tomorrow!