UEFA Superleague idea

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by barroldinho, Aug 3, 2009.

1. jesta

jesta Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I find super league idea awful as well, but different to you, I think it is inevitable! it won’t fail simply because there is too much money involved and all big club talk against it is nothing but smokescreen.

sad but true!

2. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The 2020 ATP Cup won't feature Tsitsipas because his teammates are unranked...

3. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    It's ridiculous already that Ajax, a UEFA CL semifinalist, must go through preliminary qualification.

richsavare repped this.
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Nassau County, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No confederation reserves Group Stage spots for accomplishments in the previous season other than winning.

Ajax has a club coefficient of 70.500. That's over double the next highest by a club that will be in the qualifying rounds for champions, which is 31.000 by Celtic and Copenhagen.

5. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    I meant that the Dutch champion, be it Ajax or another team, shouldn't need go through qualification.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Nassau County, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Eredivisie has a worse country coefficient than it used to. It's 14th in the coefficients used for 2019-2020. Five years earlier, it was 9th in the coefficients used for 2014-2015 and got its champion to start in the Group Stage. Things change. Scotland used to be high enough to get one of Celtic or Rangers start in the Group Stage and another in a qualifying round. For 2019-2020, the SPL is 26th, and Celtic will have to go through four qualifying rounds.

7. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    With one club in the UEFA CL semifinals, the Dutch league should be in the top 6, not 14th.

8. Because PSV and Ajax use their financial clout to skimm the best players of the rest of the league we do shit in the EL,which in turn cause the drop in coefficient rating.
    So it's a double edged sword for them. It helps them dominate the league but gradually it breaks down our overall competitiveness in Europe, thus throwing up hurdles for them to get into the money wise lucrative group fase.
    Like Johan Cruijff said: "Every advantage has it's disadvantage"

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Nassau County, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coefficients are a five season sum. If they averaged one CL Semifinalist per season for five seasons, they would be ranked above 14th. For 2018-2019, England was first, Spain was second, Germany was third, Italy was fourth, Portugal was fifth, France was sixth, and the Netherlands was seventh. 32 of the the 43 points came from Ajax. Dividing by 5 clubs gave a season coefficient of 8.600. To compare, the mean for the five seasons ending 2017-2018 was 5.950. The 2.900 in 2017-2018 that was tied for 28th really hurt.

10. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I would add that this happens in many European leagues outside the top 5 to some degree. While our (Czech) top 3 (Slavia & Sparta Prague + Viktoria Plzen) have in recent years typically had squads that can compete in Europe to a degree, we also wind up sending 2 small budget teams to Europa League qualifying that have inevitably sold their best players from the previous season.

You mention PSV and Ajax, but has Feyenoord really fallen behind them financially so much? I always think of their being 3 big clubs in Eredivisie.

11. Fan base wise we are on par or just behind Ajax, based on the numbers I recently saw of people watching Eredivisie matches on tv.
    Money wise were a bunch of beggars, due to decades of incompetent managerial actions.