UEFA draw today

Discussion in 'Champions League' started by kaburu, Aug 25, 2011.

1. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ok but look at the the groups they regularly get drawn with. They always get obscure competition and even with their atrocious away record its easier for them to qualify.

2. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Don't bother, he is not up for a reasonable debate. He just wants to shout "fix" and leave it at that.

3. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Porto/Kiev/Fener or Porto/CSKA Moscow/Hamburg were not what I'd call obscure competition...

Still, I'd agree that Arsenal was somewhat lucky with their draws over the last couple of years, but random does not mean everyone gets the same, not until the law of large numbers sets in (and 5 or 10 seasons is not enough for that). Random is some get lucky, some do not. Some pairings will occur frequently, others not.

4. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What debate do you want? I only have speculation that its fixed because its year after year of the same "draw" for some clubs. You want to believe otherwise go ahead.

5. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

6. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    You believe. We know statistics, and they tell us that the same draw for some clubs year after year is to be expected in a truely random draw, and thus no indication of fixing. Apart from the point that I haven't yet heard a reasonable explanation why Real-Lyon is so desirable as opposed to Real-Marseille, Real-Roma or Bayern-Lyon that anyone would want to fix a draw to get it. Oh, wait, we already had Bayern-Lyon in 2 of the last 3 seasons, so another repeat of that would "obviously" be fixed as well...

7. Arkan

Arkan New Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    It'll be interesting to see how Man City fair in their group. Very tough group but I can see them getting out of it.

8. Thomas T.

Thomas T. Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Hamburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    According to the media, Manchester City is already the main challenger of Barca (alongside Real and ManU). I say: they might not make it out of their group. As much as they have improved, they are still not proven on the big stage. Bayern has much more experience and they have improved even more than ManC. They will probably win both their games against ManC. Then, if ManC just loses one more game, they could find themselves relegated to the Europa League.

9. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    After their results in the EPL so far, I doubt that. I wouldn't be surprised if they win the group, and I don't see Villarreal or Napoli finishing ahead of them... though the group is certainly strong enough to get a surprise.

10. tjorns1

tjorns1 New Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    There is a huge problem with UEFA. Swiss Court desicion against UEFA is refused by UEFA. Possibly complete European Championship could be cancelled or start again. (News from Switzerland).

11. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    That's not quite true, at this point, it's "only" about the Europa League group I (the one with Celtic).

12. tjorns1

tjorns1 New Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    I listened the radio broadcast interview of the famous sports lawyer Mr. Dupont and he stated that European league Group I would be an example to other groups and other problems.

13. tjorns1

tjorns1 New Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    I listened the radio broadcast interview of the famous sports lawyer Mr. Dupont and he stated that European league Group I would be an example to other groups and other problems.

14. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    To all the conspiracy theorists out there, I challenge you to step up to the plate and list how YOU would like Friday's draw to come out that would prevent you from pointing to one of the matchups and claiming a "fix".

Pair one group winner with a group runner-up.

GROUP WINNERS ... GROUP RUNNERS-UP
    Bayern Munich .....,... Napoli
    Inter Milan ..........,... CSKA Moscow
    Benfica .................. Basel
    Real Madrid .........,... Lyon
    Chelsea .............,.... Leverkusen
    Arsenal .................. Marseille
    APOEL ................... Zenit
    Barcelona ............... Milan

Remember that teams from the same country cannot be paired together, nor can teams that met in the just completed group stage.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't think this next draw will be fixed because there aren't a lot of possible juicy matchups.

But ZOMG!!!!11... They are totally gonna fix the quarterfinal draw!!!!! I can see it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! Real Madrid will draw Inter or Chelsea. Mourinho against his former team. Either that, or they will draw Barca. Then no one can deny that the fix is in because what are the odds of that happening randomly? Like 3 in 7? Better chances at winning the lotto!

Or could you imagine if Madrid faces Bayern again? Then it is obviously sooo fixed! How many times can the same 2 teams meet before people wake up and realize that UEFA fixes their draws!

Even if they don't draw any of those 4 teams, if they draw Arsenal, Milan or Lyon again then its still clearly fixed and if you wanna believe otherwise then you are a naive idiot!

16. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Or Manchester United against Bayern again!!!!!

Oh.

17. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    All it takes is ONE matchup to jump out for the conspiracy theorist cry fix.
    For example, if Milan or Napoli meet any team apart from APOEL then it will be "the glamour pairing designed to bring in tv ratings".
    And if Milan or Napoli happens to draw APOEL, "UEFA wants the glamour team from the runners-up pot an easy passage into the quarterfinals where they'll be paired for a tv ratings bonanza."
    Bayern v CSKA means Olic against his former club. The conspiracy theorists will find a way to support their ridiculous claims, guaranteed.

18. wiz0rd

wiz0rd Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Moscow
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

Here are my predictions (although I'm not a conspiracy theorist)

Barcelona - Napoli
    Real Madrid - Marseille
    Benfica - AC Milan
    Arsenal - Zenit
    Chelsea - Basel
    APOEL - CSKA Moscow
    Inter - Leverkusen
    Bayern - Lyon

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The conspiracy theorist responds...

"You just knew UEFA would do this. Barcelona can't play glamour team Milan so of course they get the other glamour team from that pot, Napoli. UEFA are already counting the money from the tv ratings."

"Why are Real Madrid and Marseille always playing each other?! Didn't they just meet up a couple years ago?"

"A matchup for the old timers at UEFA to reminisce on with Benfica and Milan. Nice span of eras to lush all over with 1963 and 1990. These fixed draws are getting sickening."

"Basel eliminated Man Utd so let's put them up against another English club! Who didn't see that one coming?!"

"APOEL, the Cinderella story of the CL, gets to play a team that will still be on their domestic winter break by the time the first leg is played. Nice to see UEFA helping out the feel good story of the tournament."

"Bayern v Lyon: 2009 group stage, 2010 semifinal... different year, same matchups as always."

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friday's draw is for the Champions League Round of 16 and Europa League Round of 32 and Round of 16. You'll have to wait until March 16 for the Quarterfinals draw.

21. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  22. wiz0rd

wiz0rd Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Moscow
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    looooooool

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    more conspiracy fodder: "lyon bought their way out of the group, so it's only logical they bought the draw too. that damned platini! the french and the italians are always in cahoots"

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    hahah... Italy v England in the round of 16! Sounds familiar?

Every season the same thing. Soooo rigged!!

ZOMG!!1 They even fixed the Europa League draw this time. Man City v Porto: favorites against the defending champs. & Man United v Ajax. It couldn't be Man United against Salzburg. It had to be 2 big clubs going head to head of course. What are the odds of that?

25. wiz0rd

wiz0rd Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Moscow
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    The only thing i dont like about the EL draw is how CL teams are allowed to play each other.

it's one thing for 4 paratroopers out of CL to be seeded, and the other to be unseeded, but they shouldn't be allowed to meet each other in EL playoffs

how is it fair that Porto basically parachuted out of a EL style group in CL with Zenit, APOEL, Shaktar and has to play a CL type of opponent in EL playoffs

so stupid lol

i'm no conspiracy theorist but Lyon-APOEL and both Manchester draws are hilarious.