UEFA Champions League, Round of 16 - Tuesday, February 20th, 2018 - Chelsea FC vs FC Barcalona

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Blueallthru, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    True. Conte said as much.

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    It will be interesting to see how Conte lines up this team in the 2nd leg. We need a goal, yet allowing Barca to score one doesn't really change anything either.

3. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tactically we were pretty spot on.

Hazard can't do the defensive and running work that Pedro put in last night. Hazard also is far less effective playing centrally and isolated like he was last night as a lone target man. Even his best moments yesterday were when he was out wide and could pull defenders out there. Barca were scared shitless when he had the ball.

That's the conundrum. Do we risk defensive shape and effort by playing Hazard out there where he's most effective offensively? We're 3 weeks away from the second leg. Morata, assuming no setbacks or new injuries should be fully healthy. He's better in transition than Giroud which is a huge plus right now.

I don't like how defensive we were but you guys are right in that it wasn't a JM bus parking job. I think we go with the same group minus maybe Alonso for Emerson's pace. We just have to be flexible enough to change it quickly to bring on either Morata or Giroud.

4. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yea it's hard to say i would change much for the next game. the same gameplan would be effective away from home as well. it's telling that our midfield two worked, and a large part of it was willian and pedro dropping back and helping out. its one of the reasons i like the 3-4-3. the two wingers can drop and create a box midfield with vertical passing lanes.

Blueallthru repped this.
  5. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Once again the view from the ground is vastly different from the view from TV. Pedro had a storming game he was all over the place and his pressing led to us getting the ball back on numerous occasions and upset Barca's rhythm.

I am just getting my voice back I just Love these games against Barca they really bring out the best in the Stanford Bridge crowed.

I must admit to wanting the ex gunner to start but that is why I sit in the west stand and Conte is in the dugout.

Willian was outstanding and I hope he keeps his place for Sunday. Kante was also back to his best. Difficult to point to any under performers a great team effort and the game just flew by.

6. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Oh and we have games v City and United to deal with.

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United is in 4 days and we have a day of rest on them which helps when you add no travel. City isn't till march 4th so we should be well rested but they'll prove difficult. We need 3 from united and 1 from city and we're in great shape.

8. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Our best bet, which is a lot easier said than done, is to try and score as early as possible. If we can grab the first goal, Barca will have to go into all out attack and we can switch to counter attacking football the rest of the match even if they get one back. I wouldn’t be surprised if we use the same gameplan as we did against Atletico away, Barca will be expecting the same plan as yesterday imo and will probably adjust by not starting Paulinho (if Valverde has any sense at least)

9. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I could not support a team that had Suarez in it.

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you feel about Diego Costa?

Or... Roman Abramovich?

11. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Roman doesn't eat people. Diego was a ********, but he was our ********.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how everyone feels about Luis! If Chelsea bought Luis and he won the title next season... trust me, you'd love him. He's an amazing maniac.

Wrath repped this.
  13. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No, he represents everything that is wrong with the game. Biting players on more than one occasion. Cheating, diving. All of it. Bite someone at your job and see what happens to you.

Costa wasn't quite at that level. Neither was Drogba.

Roman, we've had this conversation before. It's very possible that he's one of the Russians (there are many) who own a part of Trump. He's friends with Putin, who is a war criminal, murderer, dictator, you name it. It's hard to overlook that.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I get it. If we had Suarez, I'd feel similarly to how I do regarding Diego.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  15. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The most important thing to remember about virtually all football fans is that we are, by and large, hypocrites. It's the nature of the beast. We all like to pretend we hold the moral high ground over everyone else (we have to or we couldn't passionately support our club) but truth is we are all far more similar than we are different.

Personally, I've cheered for some right shits over the past 30 years and been concurrently aghast at the players other teams fans cheer for. You can absolutely tar me with the hypocrite brush. No question.

16. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I at least prefer to feel a bit queasy supporting those right shits. Which is why, for instance, I'm quite happy for John Terry to keep a bit of distance from the club.

Yeah, I said it.

Naughtius Maximus and EruditeHobo repped this.
  17. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Oh, one quick thing - can we stop calling Hazard a false 9 when we play this way? Hazard basically plays as a real 9 in this formation, nothing false about it.

18. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    oh it's false, just not in the way you are talking about.....:D

19. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There was only one true false 9 in our history ...Fernando Torres.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That had nothing to do with how he played the 9 other then the fact that he was shlt

21. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yep, the only true "false" 9.

truefan420 repped this.
  22. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I cheer for a basketball team that had Bill Laimbeer in it. :D

23. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  24. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This was a throwback Chelsea performance. One of those performances that show why I love this club. I absolutely love when we are backs against the wall and everyone is doubting us and we put in a world class performance.

We should have won, and I don't think anyone can argue that, against Barcelona.

I can't remember another team ever limiting Barca to such little chances offensively.

The XI was spot on, tons of lads had great performances. I would have went with Willian / Hazard / Pedro up front as well, but I think at the Nou Camp we should go with Morata with Hazard and Willian on either sides. Pedro contributes more defensively then Hazard but when Hazard is playing off Morata he is much more lethal offensively.

This team is crying out for a top CM to slot in next to Kante. Cesc played better then I expected but in games such as these we really need a world class CM to be the missing piece to our puzzle.

Wrath and cokeyounut repped this.
  25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought the ref was rather 'selective' in his interpretations of what was a foul and what wasn't.