PBP: UEFA Champions League - Matchday 2 | Tottenham v FC Barcelona | 3 October 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Sep 29, 2018.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

ShortyMac repped this.
  2. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Alba became today the second defender in CL history to give 3 assists in a single game ( first defender who achieved this was Lahm for Bayern against french side Lille)

ShortyMac, evil_allan, Gilmango and 2 others repped this.
  3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Glass 10% empty

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Does that include assisting Spurs' second goal? :)

5. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    messi has scored 22 goals vs pl teams, also as much as harry kane goal scored at wemley this season, 2 goals.
    but he cant play at pl:(

6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Plus Vertonghen and Aurier

7. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    can we play like this at liga:)

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As I expected, we conceided 2 goals. I know both of their goals were quality but still... I thibk we could be in big trouble at KO stage if defending isnt getting better. Great game overall, great finishis by Messi, Coutinho & Rakitic and the built up were also vintage Barca.

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Comments on Messi’s performance from tonight (although a little exaggerated, but gives an idea of what sort of performance he gave today):

“I'm sorry but can we talk about Lionel Messi please?

Tonight's performance at Wembley was probably the greatest individual display we've ever seen. Ran the show from minute one and orchestrated everything.”

————

“The day Messi retires, the ball will cry for him.....a long, long weeping wail and cry.”

———

“You may as well cancel football when Lionel Messi retires. It doesn't get any better than him.”

———

“Today, Messi was Xavi, Pirlo, Iniesta, Zidane — plus Platini, Zico, Maradona — plus Ronaldo Fenomeno, Pele, Di Stefano — and better than all of them.”

ShortyMac, puyol, Leon12 and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, Lenglet deflected it or MAtS might've saved that goal, but Tottenham had at least two passes to Lamela - first sent in from a Spur on the wing to Son - which Alba or someone may have nearly blocked, then Son to Lamela, not sure where Alba's assist is there.

12. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The 1st goal was a defensive mistake from Semedo. Overall, I thought Langlet did well especially towards the end of the match marking Harry Kane. The deflection was unlucky because MATS would have had it.

13. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Lenglet looked good, unlucky with that deflection. Arthur looked good. the team looks better in the 4-4-2.
    Semedo still not convincing. Suarez still not scoring but still very influential. Messi unlucky not to have another hat-trick. Rakitic with another one of his sideways passes into the net. I'd like to see Dembele and Messi tested out as a front two.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Suarez is still irreplaceable at the moment even when he doesn't score.

condor11 repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Unfortunately these are the types of comments that sets him up for failure comments when/if he doesn't perform in KO match.

It was a great performance, but you can see why, Tottenham gave him too much space and too much time on the ball. His first goal for example is the type of goal that the better teams know to keep an eye on because it's the type of play/run that has been studied given he has done 100s of times.

16. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    i dont think so. they could have marked messi if suarez hadnt been there. he created enough space and time for messi to finish. that is team work+individual attack awareness.

17. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    completely agree about Suarez, not being critical of him.

just saying that if Valverde does stick with the 4-4-2 more often, I'd like to see what a front two of Dembele-Messi would look like. we need a better alternative than Munir and not sure Valverde trusts Dembele to play in a midfield-4.

Still a big fan of Suarez and even if he is slowing down with age, his intelligence adds so much to the team. but his days are numbered and i don't think he should play every minute of every game.

Gilmango repped this.
  18. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Boss:cool:

Rattlehead and Gilmango repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Probably the most underrated player of his generation.

20. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Messi is the GOAT but I agree with you that Tottenham gave him alot of space. He took advantage of that and should have had another goal or so. Still last night two goals were gifted by sloppy Tottenham play and they scored a lucky one and at 3-2 the team looked shaken and Tottenham came close to equalising. EV still annoyed me with waiting to 82 and 85th to bring in fresh legs.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's like saying Pogba and Mbappe never scored a great goal in World cup final because the defenders werent closing the gap or marking them. Great player capitalize from opponent smallest mistake, simply as that. They see chances, they create and scores from it.

Saying it wasnt great performance would be the same as saying his goal against Bayern wasnt great because Boating didnt mark him well.

22. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    So true .... things may have been so different if that PEEKABOO incident hadn't happened ...

Rattlehead repped this.
  24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It was a great strike for sure but I still wouldn't have him starting . I'd use him as a 60 minute sub when we are in front and things need tightening up and slowing down ..

25. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The funny thing is that the official UEFA site didn't include him in the best 11 players in the second round of the CL :rolleyes: