UEFA 2018 World Cup Qualification

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If opponents are the same, it is the most fair way to decide whom is the best.

The fact, teams have diferent styles is no excuse, as no one forces them to play on a given style. Of course it affects the scoreline, but teams chose those styles basicly because it is the style that brings them the best results.

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe for the time being, but I always think head to head is a much better judgement. There are also many factors to consider. If its still equal with head to head, in that case I would look at both teams performance against the same opponents. Like for example when the WC comes look at how both teams fare against Belgium for example.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I tend to agree that head-to-head is better in this situation. Although I kind of like using GD in the world cup itself. Head to head is too severe in a 3-game group stage because if you lose your first game then its almost impossible to overcome that team you lost to. You have to overcome 4 points. But when the head-to-head involves 2 games (home-and-away) then that should be the tiebreaker.

Not though that in this particular case head-to-head probably wouldn't help Italy unless they get a 2-2 draw (or higher) in the Bernabeu.

4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    As this thread is about Uefa's WC qualifiers, why not stick to those opponents from the same group, instead ?.

And that is not only against one opponent, but 4 others, diferent than Spain and Italy.

5. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Whole Season Varane has been starting ahead of Pepe.

6. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Portugal has bad defenders and good offence in Andre Gomes, Ronaldo, Nani , Quaresma , Joao Mario.
    They wont concede much because of possession playstyle and hte fact that Fernando Santos has a very defensive Mentality. But vs a better opponent when they wont be able to keep that possession they ll probably lose in my opinion.

7. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    FINALLY someone said it. Those Bosnians have been crying so much about the Greek Defensive football and how "happy" they are that their team is not playing so boring (probably butthurt coz we re getting better results than them lately) meanwhile if you look at their squad you ll see that their only "talent" is up front and if they try to play defensive they dont have any significant player to be able to keep the defence (since Spahic got old and left).

You pickk a style based on your own roster and the opposission. Not based on what the crowd wants to see. Gah.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal differential is the tiebreaker, and tiebreakers matter. In World Cup 2006 Qualifying, Switzerland won a tiebreaker for second, won a playoff, and won their World Cup group. In World Cup 2010 Qualifying, Costa Rica lost a tiebreaker for third and lost a playoff with Uruguay by 1. Even if you prefer head-to-head, Spain kind of has that as of now because they got a draw in Italy.

9. jennifer98

jennifer98 New Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    thank you for this share please tell me how can i watch online uefa league

10. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You are right that goal difference is the way FIFA judges it, but I am not sure if thats the best way. Anyway thats just on who makes first or second, doesn't mean they are better. We will really find out when the world cup comes. Spain would still be ahead even if it was head to head as of now. We will see when we play Spain in a couple months. Even if Spain beat us there depending on the circumstances you could also argue that it was in Spain. Anyway lets just wait until the world cup happens and then we can really judge.

11. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    Group A: France, Sweden

Group B: Portugal

Group C: Germany

Group D: Wales, Republic of Ireland

Group E: Denmark, Poland

Group F: England, Slovakia

Group G: Spain

Group H: Belgium

Group I (Group of Death): Turkey

12. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    Belgium is in tournament next year it's clear. :(

13. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    I must saying to you Netherlands , Italy and Croatia will missed.

14. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    And Belarus is stronger in ice hockey and not soccer.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think Croatia will be okay. Very close group, but they have by far the best goal differential which might be important in the end.

16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Croatia will top the group, and Italy via playoff.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    This would be my prediction for the second-place teams: Italy, Switzerland, Wales, Slovakia, Turkey, Sweden, No. Ireland, Denmark(, Greece - worse record).

The first 4 listed would be seeded based on the current FIFA rankings.

18. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hmm I think Iceland, not Turkey.

19. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    Italy will missed via playoff.

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Massive upcoming games ...

Group A : Netherlands - Sweden on Oct. 10th. Netherlands may go into this game with still a chance.

Group D : Wales - Ireland on Oct. 9th. This will most likely be the deciding match to see who qualifies for playoff.

Group E : Montenegro - Denmark on Oct. 5th. Moment of truth. Both teams tied on 16 points, fighting for 2nd place.
    Poland - Montenegro on Oct. 8th. Poland may still need a point here to win group. If Montenegro wins their game against Denmark, they'll have everything to play for in Poland.

Group F : Scotland - Slovakia on Oct. 5th. Scotland with a chance to leapfrog Slovakia into 2nd place.
    Slovenia - Scotland on Oct. 8th. Could be the moment of truth for Scotland, against a Slovenia team that may still be alive themselves.

Group H : Cyprus - Greece on Oct. 7th. Tiny Cyprus can still keep their small chances alive here with 3 points.

Group I : Turkey - Iceland on Oct. 6th. Turkey with a chance to jump into 2nd place, or even 1st place with a little help.
    Ukraine - Croatia on Oct. 9th. Both teams likely still alive for either 1st place or 2nd place in this tight group.

BocaFan repped this.
  21. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And Wales will be without Gareth Bale in this match, and the one with Georgia beforehand. Potentially a huge blow to their hopes of qualifying.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Step 1 for the Dutch would be to beat Belarus by at least 2 goals more than Sweden beats Luxemboug by. That's a tall order, but if it happens then the match on the 10th could get interesting.

23. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Group C: Portugal v. Switzerland on the final day of qualifying.
    With Portugal playing Andorra the game before, a win is almost guaranteed. Given Portugal's vastly superior goal difference, for Switzerland, it makes little difference if they beat or draw with Hungary in their first match this month. Either way they would be ahead of Portugal going into the last game meaning a draw in Lisbon would see them through.

Even if they do beat Hungary and go into the decider 3 points ahead, they would still miss out if they lose to Portugal, given the goal difference. So two draws would do the job for the Swiss. Portugal, on the other hand, must win the decider (assuming Switzerland don't lose to Hungary).

BocaFan repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True. Beating Hungary only helps them in the FIFA rankings, and they still have a chance at being a top seed for the WC draw. But yeah... since they still have work to do just to qualify, I don't think they care about that right now.

25. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cyprus trails Greece by 3 points and 10 goal differential (and Cyprus trails Bosnia-Herzegovina by 4 points). Greece ends hosting Gibraltar, and if Greece wins that game they will finish ahead of Cyprus on points or goal differential.