UConn Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by sec123, Dec 20, 2016.

1. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Making news in the last few days is the lawsuit filed by a formerly dismissed UConn player over her 'obscene' gesture on the field. I've read quite a few of the articles and claims of unfair treatment / punishment compared to her male athlete counterparts appear justified (on the surface). I am sure there is more to it beyond the headlines. Interesting how this will turn out.

2. CX22

CX22 Member

Nov 21, 2015
    It is very interesting. I am curious what type of legal standing they have. Certainly her attorney is correct that many athletes (male especially) engage in much worse behavior and are not dismissed from their teams. But is it anyones 'right' to be on a team? This is not an employment case, so do they have a case or is it just unfair? Could the university say 'it was the coach's decision and the coach does not have male athletes so the comparison does not work. Each coach has their own rules and standards and applies them as they see fit.' I am just rambling here and am curious to see this play out.

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nothing indicates what her motivation was?

5. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Don't flip the bird and no issues come your way. Everyone can talk about the underlining issues all they want. Uconn wanting the scholarship for Andrew's etc. If the player does not do the act then she would have no issue. Take some responsibility and move on and learn from it. This is life. Life is not fair. Something does not go your way then society says take it to court. Sad!!!

6. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am not advocating the random flipping off of TV cameras but, to me at least, the action on UConn's part is a bit extreme. That's why I would be willing to bet there is more to the story. Flipping the bird just may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I also don't like it when people sue if things don't go their way.

I looked up the player in question and she did relatively well at Hofstra this past season starting all but one game and being one of the top players in terms of minutes and points.

7. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Each team at a school has their own standards. a coach of one sports team at a school might celebrate obscenities, while another wants to have a team with higher standards. That isn't a title IX issue.

With her flashing an obscenity on national TV - she potentially damaged the image that the soccer team had and was 'selling' to recruits and their families.

There are many families who wouldn't want their daughter on a team that welcomes that behavior.

I wonder if the school can counter sue the former player for damages.

8. Red Devils 77

Red Devils 77 New Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    unfortunately, her claim that UConn revoked her scholarship illegally half way through the year does not hold water as there is pretty specific steps that have to be followed to take a scholarship. one of which is notify her in writing and she could appeal (to a non-athletics panel). I am guessing that event was the straw that broke the camels back. Even if it wasnt, the coach is still within his right to remove her from the team.

9. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Good luck to her. She just made herself quite unhireble. It's true we don't know the entire story, but I would never want her to touch anywhere near my company

10. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #10 Holmes12, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Her facial expression is hilarious when she realizes immediately that she FUBAR'd with her 'tude...then retreats behind the other girl and does a weak peace sign...like that's what she meant to do. buhehehe.

However, she already won. Booked for Good Morning America and the gender inequality thing was thrown about. I don't think it'll make it to the race and/or muslim card. Case closed. Damages awarded.

11. Dash Fan

Dash Fan New Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  12. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    It just depends on how big the rivalry game is within the sport.
    This video illustrates that it's okay to do it, if it's on the gridiron in a huge rivalry game.
    No further punishment was given to this bird flipper after he was already kicked out of the game.
    But it's totally fine, since he only gestured the double bird to the opposing crowd, and not to the NCAA.

13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    If a male soccer player pretends to drop his shorts and moon the crowd during a goal celebration = in the moment
    If a female soccer players pretends to drop her shorts and moon the crowd after scoring a goal = ban her for life

I guess it's just the way it is in the sporting arena.
    Society accepts bad behavior among male athletes and certainly chalks it up to one phrase, "boys will be boys".
    But when an innocent soccer girl does the same, "OH MY GOD, she is a Conniving B*tch"

14. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Wwc. You are exaggerating just a bit there. I do not think anyone said she was what you said. Also can not compare million dollar athletes playing pro and young women playing college soccer at a educational institution. You are being a little dramatic.

15. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    And it's acceptable for male athletes to give other male athletes the business on the field of battle.
    But if a female athlete gives another female athlete the business (below the belt), then she is a Dirty *****.

16. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And he'll never buy another dinner in Columbus for the rest of his life :thumbsup:

17. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    I know, but male athletes are allowed to get away with more words and actions on the field of battle.
    I don't think anyone can dispute that.

18. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    But sometimes a soccer player doesn't get caught giving the business to another player on the pitch ...........

[​IMG]

19. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Every sport is different. Can not treat them all the same. Tennis is a prime example same as golf. There are different standards for all the sports. Back to the person in question. You flip the bird on live TV for everyone to see you will be punished. I do think the same may happen if a uconn male soccer player does the same thing on national TV. Just can't do it.

20. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    #20 WWC_Movement, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  21. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    And possibly if she directly stares at the camera and shoots the bird at all the people watching saying in sign language F you to all those people she would possibly have the same result. Again you are comparing apples to oranges. It's not the same. Got anymore videos to share. ?

22. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  23. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    If you watch the video one post above, there was never any motivation that was malicious.
    It was simply a celebration and out of pure ecstasy she decided to flip the bird because she was so happy.

24. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    That is the sign I always use when I am happy. That along with pumping my fist in the air or maybe raising the appropriate index finger in the air to claim our team is number one. Maybe a slap on the wrist and some classes on finger usage when one is celebrating and happy for being a champion was more appropriate of a penalty. Not f all of you for not beliving in our team.

25. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea