PBP: UCL - Manchester United FC vs PFC CSKA Moscow - Dec 5, 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Dec 2, 2017.

1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Really? I admittedly didn't see the second half but in the first half he was losing the ball a ton and misplacing passes.

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Winning the group isn't really much of a bonus this season. Juve, Bayern, Madrid, and Chelsea are all group runners up. Going to be a blood bath in the round of 16.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    At least the games will finally be good. Also, Shaw surprised the hell out of me today. So, shut your mouth and stop getting in fights with everyone you redneck piece of shite.

4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check this one out on MUTV but I was able to see the Lukaku goal courtesy of GifLord. A very nicely taken goal, which I hope does wonders for his confidence v City.

Between Juve, Bayern, Real and Chelsea the only club among that would keep me up at night is Real. I can't see us beating them no matter how brilliant our play might be. On the other hand, we don't resume CL play until February and a lot can change by then. We just might evolve into the club that keeps everyone else up at night. We will avoid Barcelona and PSG, and of course City, which is fantastic news.

The way to look at the situation is to thank the gods the group stage is behind us now, that we topped our group fairly easily and that we can focus on getting the job done in the league for the next few weeks.

For what it's worth, I've read elsewhere that Shaw was "brilliant" and "outstanding". I'm looking forward to seeing whether this is true.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're referring to Pogba, he really showed his class in the 2nd half and was the main guy behind a much improved showing in that period. His assist to Lukaku to bring United level was another incredible piece of skill.
    But overall though, the guy is just the heart and drive behind our attack.
    And I'm legitimately curious as to how we'll go at City without him: but today, he was the difference for me.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #106 Ashur, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    If I had to choose one of those teams to face right now in the Round of 16, I'd take Real without hesitation. Bayern is the last team I'd want to face: they've been rejuvenated completely under Heynckes and they're getting their confidence back.
    Speaking of confidence, Real right now look devoid of any. Not that it couldn't change by February, but they are not looking all that good in the least: toothless upfront with Ron and Benz misfiring. Their midfield is not as dominant as it used to be and their defense is poor. They're the reigning 2x times champs, yes, but at this time, they shouldn't frighten us. Good thing for them they've got some time to sort themselves out.
    Juve would not be a good opponent for us either. Simply because in many ways they are sort of like United in the sense they're very organized, like to lie in wait and hit teams hard and fast on the counter. Could see them giving us trouble. And after a slow start, they're also starting to find their rythmn.
    Still a long ways away though and things might change by then. With a little luck though, we'll avoid one of those big teams altogether and get a friendlier draw.

7. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be important to get all of the squad players up to speed as the holiday run-in approaches. Doubt Shaw will feature against City unless it's as a late defensive sub, but hopefully he can get another start in the next match.

jeff070 repped this.
  8. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No easy games in the next round. Best draw we could hope for is either Porto or Leipzig.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Nvm, I misunderstood your post. Mainly because it was so certainly down to lack of match practice that I couldn’t imagine what else you’d have meant.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No easy ties indeed, but it's hardly a question that Porto, Leipzig or even Shaktar (if we're in line to get them), would be more desirable draws than Juve, Bayern or even Real.
    I'm good waiting one more round to the 1/4s before getting a glamour matchup.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #111 Ashur, Dec 5, 2017
  12. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Grasshopper, if we're going to think about this strategically Real is the LAST team we'd want to face in this competition in this next round, full stop and end of.

From Real's perspective, the CL is everything now for this season. First, they've won the last two CL cups and the chance to make it three in a row put them in the highest shelf of the history books. You have to go back to the early 70s to find the last two (and only) clubs that have three-peated the CL, or its equivalent at the time in the modern era of the game (which I don't regard the 1950s as being a part of). Beyond that, the very fact that they're struggling in La Liga right now is another reason why we know they're going to be so dangerous in CL knockouts. Stating the obvious, their experience in CL action is well beyond ours and, absent massive signings in January, they'd very likely crush us.

Real Madrid be a wounded animal. Do not tempt the gods.

It's a tough competition so no matter who we draw it's not going to be easy to make it to the semifinals, a goal which realized would be a sensational accomplishment for United this season. But we have to pray that we avoid Real. And that prayer is answered, there's no avoiding a formidable opponent in the rounds thereafter.

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm feisty today.

And redneck? Lol. Gotta say that's the first time ive ever been called that.

Chaz Striker repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #114 Ashur, Dec 5, 2017
    Was really pleasantly surprised by Shaw's display today. Having failed to show any real desire and effort the last time he was called up (2nd half of our first League Cup game), I thought that this game would show us if he wants to be at the club.
    And the response was a resounding yes: from kickoff, he really used himself, making runs up and down the touchline, working his socks off, in a display that really was impressive, for a dead man walking at least.
    Too early to say what his future is at this time or if he saved his United career. But this could perhaps be the day, when reflecting back on his time at the club, could be a landmark, when he started changed Jose's perception about him.
    There is some way to go yet and not least of which AY's current form, but if he keeps this up, Jose should have no qualms at all turning to him more and more, especially in a month when games are coming thick and fast, as a viable alternative (for now) to AY.

15. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rather mouthy since you won the draft aren't ya!!!

(as an aside, for some reason, your avatar is very Chas-like! :) )

Chaz Striker repped this.
  16. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    I'm actually totally fine with any of those. None of those teams truly scare me right now. I don't think we'd be favoured in any, bar Chelsea maybe, but the odds wouldn't be that long.

Plus, when was the last time we had a match against one of our (former?) European peers? Feels like ages (Moyes' Utd vs. Bayern doesn't count).

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another solid and confident display from Lindelof btw. We can actually see his comfort level growing with each passing game. Normal progression, I suppose, after such a shaky start, but it was nice seeing him being more vocal and try to start plays himself from the back.
    The next test will be to see how he does against top shelf oppo (which is coming up this weekend). Definitely looking forward to see him partner up with Bailly: that could be interesting.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't want Bayern right now. They're rounding into top form. Juve doesn't scare me. Madrid on current form are there for the taking. Granted they could explode back to being best in the world any game now.

19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Dude, did Shaw ******** your girl? I have a bias against Felliani so I often go hard after him but you got laser beam focus on Shaw. A guy hasn't played a first team match in ages and catches a cramp, most reasonable minds go it figures. Going full tilt in practice and a game are apples and oranges especially when the game is a chance to win over the coach.

Yet the most obvious explanation is not that one to you because he struggled to go 90 before and something about his food and diet. That is some top class hating!!

20. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just don't want Bayern. Don't like them...and I think they will be the toughest 2nd place opponent.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  21. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  22. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Another Mourinho awarded motm

jnielsen repped this.
  23. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think it's decided based on user votes.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Thats probably because you're surrounded by rednecks.

Did the rules change? I thought we could not draw English clubs next round.