UCL - Man. City vs. S.S.C. Napoli - matchday 3

Discussion in 'Napoli' started by Sacki, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Retrosword

Retrosword Member+

May 16, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I think that is an overreaction in itself. The point isnt we would've won, but we'd have performed a helluva lot better if he was there in place of zielinski. Its clear he has the characteristics too.

2. AvantiNapoli

AvantiNapoli Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    The point is, Rog is a midfielder, he is a vice Allan, hopefully one day he gets as many starts as Allan. Zielinski is awful with Hamsik and they leave Diawara on the pitch by himself.

3. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    I accept your criticism of our ''overreactions'', however, the problem is not as simple as it looks. A team that wants to aspire towards the greatest heights should always be criticized, because sometimes you can hit the nail on its head. It's not like Sarri is perfect just because he's been doing well, he's liable to make errors just like anybody else.

I only express my opinion when I say that we do have the quality to perform well against a team such as MC, and therefore it logically follows that we should have done so. Sarri is a great coach but in a way, or in more ways than just one, he's still a newbie. The game between AS and Chelsea yesterday showed us that we indeed should have done better, yet due to fear and tactical inferiority we didn't do any such thing, and perhaps even due to the two changes that we've been discussing with such enthusiasm. Chelsea only lost 0:1 to MC, while AS did well against Chelsea, the AS that we easily outplayed. Thus it follows that it should have been a game of two great teams at the City stadium, yet during the first 30 minutes it looked like RM with Zidane, Carlos, etc. against some village kids playing football on the street. MC could have scored like 6 goals during those 30 minutes...

4. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Sarri is provincial

5. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ADL is. What you say is bizarre. Who would do a better job with these player and this squad?

6. Retrosword

Retrosword Member+

May 16, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    JC did make me think about one thing, and that is despite the slack we give benitez/mazzarri, compare our current teams to theirs. We complain of depth, but those teams did not even have a strong line up. Lets not forget how detrimental the likes of britos, dossena, behrami, pandev, maggio starting every game. We had less than a handful of talented players, but still did impressive in the CL. Its a thought to definitely consider. Our starting 11 is miles apart its easy to see

7. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Disagree. We sacrificed the league. Against Bayern we got a very lucky and undserved draw. Against Manchester City we were horrible. We just sat back.

Also disagree with you about the team.

We had De Sanctis who was better than Reina. We had an awesome attacking trio (Hamsik, Cavani, Lavezzi) who were at the height of their careers and we had Inler in the center who was great. Maggio and Zuniga were two of the best fullbacks in the league at the time. Dossena only played after Zuniga got injured and that turned the Chelsea game. Inler was considered close to world class at the time and Dzemailli was decent. We only lacked in central defense and arguably Dzemailli. Pandev was a great super sub. Better than Ounas today.

Benitez team was like Sarri’s minus Alan and Hysaj but he had Higuain.

8. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    No way, Sarri has had a better team than any of Benitez and Mazzarri and has embarrassed Napoli at home constantly in Europe

He gets completely outwitted in Europe, where its a matter of details.

9. Retrosword

Retrosword Member+

May 16, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Inler wasn't close to world class. When he performed he was good, in fact considering we had the choice of vidal or inler and we chose inler, that left a sour taste in many fans mouths. Maggio was a good fullback, but that was down to mazzarri bringing the best out of him. Maggio was never gifted technically, so playing him as the wingback in a formation which let him use his energy and runs got the best out of him. That maggio would look completely ordinary in a gameplan like sarri's. As for de sanctis, he wasn't that much of an upgrade over reina. De Sanctis was slow to get off his line, had aging reflexes and loved to boot the ball to the stands in every kick. As for pandev, he started over insigne in mazzarri's last season being lavezzi's replacement. Completely average in that role and insigne never really broke through that year, and our midfield supersub was unproven el k which shows alot. Most of those players only looked good because of how mazzarri had them playing. Look at lavezzi after napoli, went totally downhill because he didn't have the freedom he got in our attacking trident. Lavezzi was world class in napoli, but definitely not at psg.

We might hate mazzarri for the shit he pulled during his time here, but he got the best out of alot of our players. Alot of those players have moved on elsewhere, and they're struggling for playing time in some bottom half of the league team. Lets not forget we experienced prime hamsik during that era, a hamsik that makes the current hamsik look like garbage.

Benitez improved the team, but the depth simply doesn't compare. And we still had a retarded defence (britos was still here and maggio started every game). Also you can't expect a midfield of inler and behrami to dominate other midfields. Our forward line was great though, that can be compared. But the rest of the team was miles apart from the current team

10. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How is Sarri’s team better than Benitez?

Benitez had the same players minus Allan and Hysay but plus Higuain.

11. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Benitez brought good players but Mazzarri was just garbage.

Anyone even comparing them with Sarri is out of their minds.

12. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    David Lopez/Walter gargano midfield with Miguel Britos in defense

Benitez would have killed to have the team Sarri has now.

Mind you I am not defending Benitez... but saying Sarri needs to be held accountable

Retrosword repped this.
  13. Retrosword

Retrosword Member+

May 16, 2013
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Im comparing managerial qualities and intuition rather than talent. Its obvious sarri is more talented, but he needs to utilise the depth we have now which is alot better than it was during the time of benitez or mazzarri. We somehow did well having a defense of aronica, britos/gamberini and cannavaro. I liked campagnaro tho, but he still has nothing on albiol/k2

14. Ryan11

Ryan11 Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I agree. Don't forget Rafael/Andujar and the bench of Mesto, Armero, Reveillere, Henrique. Even though Reina is shite but he is still slightly better than those two. Benitez brought new players and replaced almost everyone. We had some big wins and won 2 trophies under Benitez. Sarri has the team who played together for 3-4 years now and we lost every big game. Do you remember when Sarri said "I don't like to ask for new players, my job is to coach"? This just proves that Sarri is an excellent coach but there is no way that he is a better manager than Benitez.

15. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We were talking first team.

And even then Benitez played Gargano over Jorginho.

I actually believe Benitez set the foundations for this Napoli. He was not a great coach but got us all these players for cheap. I just can’t stand Mazzarri.

16. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ok you have a point

17. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree but then Guintoli is doing a lousy job not coordinating with Sarri and buying injured players like Tonelly and Mario Rui.

18. Ryan11

Ryan11 Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I am not sure about this. Sarri said in the interview that he doesn't ask for players: “I don’t want to get involved. Sometimes players arrive who I don’t even know, and that’s fine, because I trust Giuntoli." So, I would guess that Giuntoli and ADL are responsible for the transfers. They probably don't know who to sign and just signed the players who were coached by Sarri before (Hysaj, Mario Rui, Tonelli, Valdifiori, Zielinski, Regini and also we were linked with half of Empoli's squad)

19. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Sarri is pretty much poor mans italian Wenger... will do just enough to keep us inCL spots but be a completely embarrassing coach in the CL

20. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You really don’t blame ADL?

21. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But that is BS.

They can sit him down and speak.

22. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Not for Sarri losing at home to Besiktas, Manchester City and Real Madrid

23. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Besiktas was a freak game.

You can only win the otherbtwo games by sitting back. I am proud Sarri does not do that.