U23 - England Tour vs Crewe Alexandria U-21 [R]

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Mason16, Aug 5, 2002.

1. moorland

moorland Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Aliso Viejo CA
    You said in your previous post you hadn't seen the team lineup but what is stuck in in your head is Bolton fielding a team of 16 year olds and they're is the denial.

And yes I am proud of the progress we are making, Your team got worked.

2. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bolton's reserves and top academy players were with the first team. They had just finished a match against Burnley and were preparing for a game against Cardiff. The only players left were the U17's and some of the U19s.

3. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Thanks for that explanation. I was curious why the braintrust at Bolton would throw out a wet-behind-the-ears youth team against a squad of Americans who were on average three or four years older and who were clearly trying to make an impression on the USA U23 national team coach.

So, perhaps a combination of either poor planning (on either side) or a certain level of -- how should I say it? -- overconfidence?

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I think the player who is gonna man our playmaking spot for the Olympics is not a done deal as most think. Both Kyle Martino and Landon Donovan are playing their for their clubs (E-Quakes moved LD), when in fact Bobby doesn't do that for DCU. Personally, I think it'll depend on what formation we use and how many forwards we use.

5. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it's more a case of priorities. It's essential that our first squad can work as a unit hence the reasoning behind the first team, reserves and top academy players being together (most will find themselves at one stage or another in the first team squad this season). For the top academy players it's good experience to play teams like Burnley and Cardiff as it's a level they do not face week in and week out.

Why play the US U23/U21s? Easy: to be helpful. Your kids were dragged over here to play games, Bolton happily obliged :)

6. cldiscodan

cldiscodan New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    I think Beckerman and Yi have started every game for the U-23's this year. Mooch definitely likes them and IMHO they both have a good shot of making the final squad.

7. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big Beckerman fan so I think he should be on the team. No of us have seen Yi for some time but it sounds as though he's performed well. Yi and Whitbread in central defense?