U20 World Cup are you watching?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by georg, May 23, 2017.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I reading this schedule right? If the US beats New Zealand they play against Venezuela Sunday morning? Who designed this schedule? Why is a team playing against another team with 2 days less rest? The US would have got more rest having taken second in their group...? Dafuq

2. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Possibly, but the German U20 team isn't anywhere close to the senior team. Last U20 cup they lost to soccer powerhouse Mali in the quarters and haven't won the tournament since 1981.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    different definitions of success. At the annual NSCAA conference a few years back they had a guest talk about the differences of countries expectations for youth development/winning. They told a story of how the USA would send their youth teams to Croatia (I believe) at all levels from U10-U20. The US would always win below U15. Then at the next years level, Croatia would kill the US consistently.

It's something I always find interesting to watch at these tournaments. I think it's unfair to say that the countries participating don't "rate" them. I think what you have is different set of expectations and definitions of success. For this U20 German team, for example, winning at this level isn't how they define success. It's about familiarity with each other and building towards a system that dominates in a few years time. It's hard to say it doesn't work, either, given how successful that federation is at the top level (men and women).

It's something I wish the US would be more analytical towards. Instead of getting so hyped up about the US winning the U20 CONCACAF group, maybe examine more deeply what will make this group good in years coming. You can win now at the expense of future years. We see this a lot, in fact.

The Franchise, DrownedElf and rslfanboy repped this.
  4. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good showing again this morning/evening from the kids. The RSL contingent is certainly helping to get things done.

5. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah, so much for Lennon having a quiet tournament...

Glad had an assist and a goal. Not bad for second game back.

Todorojo repped this.
  6. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will go back shortly and watch some of the goals, but I think Glad should have been credited with two goals. Dominance by the US.

7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer repped this.
  8. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Lennon assisting on Glad's goal and Saucedo assisting on the US's 5th goal. The boxscore reads like an RSL roster, pretty much every goal that happened had an RSL player involved. Ridiculous.

RSLer repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once these kids are back, our lineups in the summer better feature them HEAVILY and all other young promising players.

The Franchise repped this.
  10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't find the entire box score to find out who got the assists and who played the entire game. We should rename the team the U-20 RSL Men's National Team.

11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll feel bad when the kids have to come back and have to suffer playing on a worse team.

RoyalNonesuch, goobx1, georg and 2 others repped this.
  12. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    NOT U20 related...but Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE and Bahrain just cut diplomatic relations with Qatar.

13. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That's not even soccer related. :)

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WC 2022. Seemed like the Teflon tournament to me - they could not do wrong enough to get the thing taken away. But maybe they can still.

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re the final game for this group, Venezuela was better in every way. Glad at outside back against quality competition was not up to the task, as was Acosta for that matter. Mostly I found myself hoping (both in the USNT and U20 games) that our FO is scouting some of Savarino's teammates because there is some real quality there, and probably more cheaply available than other places.

rslfanboy, RSLer, pcny and 1 other person repped this.
  16. fletch88

fletch88 New Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Qatar thing may make FIFA realllllllly scramble now. The question I have, is where would it go?

The US could host.

17. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of some Euro countries and the US it'd be pretty hard to do a last minute switch of hosting duties. The US could host the tournament tomorrow if need be, it wouldn't be the best, but it could happen. It's probably one of a handful of countries that has the infrastructure, monetary support, population, and number of stadiums currently suited to put on a major tournament with little notice.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England/UK
    France
    Germany
    Japan?

I think it wouldn't be dire if they said "we have to switch this tomorrow". There are a good handful of locations that could do it that quickly.

19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think only the US could put the World Cup on without any problems. We have the stadiums which would be empty during the summer. You just use the same ones that we used in 1994 and bingo! Instant World Cup!

20. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it's not yet last minute, there are plenty of countries which could be ready in time for 2022 without any troubles at all. If we were talking about next year's Cup, the list would be quite short.

21. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they just said, hell, we'll use what we got, then, sure, there might be a few other countries that could pull it off. But the way other countries love, love, LOVE to spend money on nice, new, shiny stadiums for the World Cup kind of precludes that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the 1994 World Cup, I don't think any of the stadiums were renovated or anything done to them other than maybe replacing the field because we used football stadiums that all seat >60,000 fans. The US is the only country in the world (ok, maybe China also) that has a preponderance of stadiums that can easily handle crowds greater than 60,000 fans. A few years back, when RSL was trying to get a stadium, I remember looking up the size of the stadiums of the teams that were currently playing in the top European leagues. I was surprised to find that in most leagues, you have a few stadiums that will seat 60,000 to 80,000 fans, but most of them are in the 25,000 to 30,000 range. So, unless FIFA wants to play all their games in one or two stadiums, then the US is the only country that can host a World Cup with a minimum of problems.

22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just available stadiums, but also the infrastructure to support all the traveling fans. Between travel (airports, roads, bus/rail/subway) and hotels alone makes it hard for a lot of places to handle it on short notice. The US wouldn't have a problem doing things last minute, as most places it would be held at already have enough infrastructure. England might be able to pull it off, and I think the rest of the bigger Euro countries could handle it if they made it a two country affair.

23. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also have the terrorism problem that you have to think about besides stadium and infrastructure. Again, the US, although we are not perfect, would have a better chance of pulling off a last minute World Cup than anywhere else in the West.

24. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 78 stadiums in the US that hold 60,000 or more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._stadiums_by_capacity

The only states that don't have a stadium 60k or larger are:
    Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North and South Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Wyoming (and District of Columbia). So 37 out of the 50 states have at least 1 stadium 60k or larger. No other country in the world comes even remotely close to this, China is next with 14 stadiums that hold 60k or more. Most developed countries have a reasonable number of stadiums 40k or larger, usually on the order of 10-30, the US has 133.

Like was also said, very few places also have the total infrastructure (in terms of ability to host an international event, including transport, lodging, and services) to host the World Cup on short notice. Not to mention the logistics of bringing 32+ teams here and the tens or hundreds of thousands of foreign visitors (with reasonable costs).

Obviously the Qatar world cup is a ways away and there are plenty of countries that could host given the 5 years until then, but if we're talking moving that world cup to another host in 1-3 years I don't see how anyone could reasonable give it any other country besides the US.

25. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France has 14 stadiums of 30k or larger, Japan has 21 (5 of which are baseball). There are 64 games in a World Cup, if you wanted to maximize attendance and use I don't think either of those countries would work. The smallest venue for Brazil was ~40k, Japan has 14 non-baseball stadiums that big or larger, France has 8.

Realistically you're limited to: USA, UK/England, Germany, Brazil, and China.

I think given the diversity in the US and the overall population (and its love for sport) the US would have no problem selling out most games in 60k+ stadiums on short notice.