U.S. Women's National Team to Begin Residency Camp on April 5

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    That's awful news about Fawcett. My own two partially herniated discs started hurting as I read it.

I hope she recovers. She's been a rock and the true unsung hero of this team for over a decade and a half.

2. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Lindsey, Little join residency on trial basis

(May 4, 2004) -- Former University of Virginia midfielder Lori Lindsey and former Santa Clara forward Jacqui Little will join the USA's Olympic Residency Camp on trial beginning today at U.S. Soccer's National Training Center in Carson, Calif. as the team comes off a week-long break and continues training towards the next pre-Olympic match vs. Mexico in Albuquerque, N.M. on May 9 (1 p.m. MT on ESPN2).

Lindsey, a former staple on the USA's Under-21 team, and Little were both members of the Freedom's 2003 WUSA championship team. Lindsey, who played her rookie year for the San Diego Spirit, played in 19 games for the Freedom in 2003 including 11 starts and two goals.

The speedy Little, whose twin sister Skylar also played for the Freedom, played in 20 matches in 2003 with 19 starts, two goals and six assists. Lindsey and Little bring the USA's roster training in Los Angeles to 30 players.

Courtesy of US Soccer

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, I don't understand the Jacqui Little call up? She's the one that is a forward, right? I really didn't think she was all that during WUSA play. I know many of the top WUSA forwards were not American but surely there are others who are better. Is she the only one that has free time (and not preggers) right now? The Little that was the defender played more, I think, but still wasn't Nat material, IMO.

4. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Here's a little news from Soccer America:

Sweden-based goalkeeper Hope Solo, who posted shutouts in Kopparbergs/Goteborg's first two Damallsvenskan matches, has been called into the U.S. women's national team's Olympic Residency for a two-week ''block'' later this month, U.S. coach April Heinrichs revealed.

If Solo -- a University of Washington All-American who was Benson's Charge teammate last year -- impressed Heinrichs' staff, she could be offered a Residency contract and remain in Southern California through the Olympics.

5. Weeble

Weeble New Member

May 5, 2004
    Texas, yall.
    Yeah, I don't get that one either.

6. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
  7. MichelobLightSoccer

MichelobLightSoccer New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Yeah, I thought the 30 or so people originally called up in Jan or whenever was the pool from which the 18 would be picked from. Is it normal for them to keep adding people at this stage?

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are Little and Lindsay still in camp? Weren't their call ups for a trial period or some such? Are Augustinak and the U-21 player (ok, no short term memory--I've already forgotten her name although I do remember that she plays at Rutgers...) replacements for the other two?

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes it is quite normal to add players to the evaluation groop. On the men's side Arena was adding players up to right before the Europe trip just prior to the last WC. Mastorini(sp) comes to mind.

Of course Arena had the advantage of seeing players play in regular league games April has NO way at this time to even evaluate players without getting them in camp.

It seems to be a good idea to call players that have been on the radar to the various camps but players that have not been playing have litle chance of making the lineup.

Some of the players are actively playing in either the minor leagues or overseas so, maybe, they are in game shape.

10. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Yes, they are both (Little and Lindsey) still in camp. They were brought in for a 2 week period (which ends the end of this week), although they could stay longer if offered a contract. Augustyniak was with her German team and probably wouldn't be released by them for the whole two week period (although I am just guessing on that), and Carli Loyd is still in college (and I assume was finishing up school, again a guess). There has now been a total of 7 "guest" players brought in beyond the total that was originally called in for residency.

And, yes, they have to be in game shape because if you're not, you're gonna be left behind. Apparently they've been doing a LOT of running. Kudos to those who've stayed in shape!

11. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

Little is very good player in my opinion, she is so energetic and beat defender on one on one situation all the time, i hope she'll make it.

12. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have it on good authority that Lori Lindsey has been signed to a contract by US Soccer to stay and train with the national team.

13. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    According to some SA info Paul posted in FCM Aleisha Rose(Cramer) is a guest at residency.

Anybody have any aditional info? IMO she can kiss my ass. She wasted valuable attention and time.

She's probably there just as an extra body.... but whatever.

14. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Can you elaborate? (Not needling you... I'm just uninformed.)

15. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Maybe she renounced her Mormonism.
    :halo:

16. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.

on why she can kiss my ass?

Well she was supposed to be the next big thing in the attacking mid position. She popped up on Tony D's radar as a highschool kid in 99. She was brought into the fold under April. And she got a fair share of playing time. They spoke highly of her "vision" and stuff and how she's supposed to be our next great playmaker. Mind you at this time Aly Wagner is still in college and her full on hype hasn't started. So anyway... The team takes Cramer to some oversea's games. She starts and everything seems great. Then out of the blus she says she has to quit the team because she can't reconcile playing on Sunday's 'cause she's a mormon.

IMO she left the team in a tough spot. The team had spent quite a bit of time grooming her and teaching her the game and she out of the blue quits. Now don't think I'm in anyway bashing her religious beliefs, she's intitled to them. But from everything we've heard she's been a devout mormon all her life. She could have figured it out before wasting valuable time. And its not a stretch to think she should have, mormon's are a very dedicated group. It's hard to believe this wasn't always on her mind.

Once she left Aly Wagner was promoted to teh position of "the next big thing." What kind of player would Wagner be if she had received all the attention wasted on Cramer?

My oppinon of it all.

17. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    Don't you think that if you had the opportunity as a high school kid to play on the US National Team that it would be a pretty hard thing to just toss away? I can't imagine by any stretch of the imagination that it would have been an easy thing to eventually turn down. Give the girl a break.

In terms of Aly Wagner, that girl has had all the opportunity in the world and is definitely none the better for it. Although I think you would have to be smarter than it, it almost seems as though you're blaming Aleisha Cramer for the fact that Aly Wagner can't get the job done 5 years later. Crazy.

18. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Don't put words in my mouth. crazy :rolleyes:

Aly Wagner's struggles are all her own. By mentioning her name I was simply pointing out how useless Cramers time with the team was. A non productive waste of resources. And if you'd read any of the stuff Cramer herself said about the whole thing you'd know that the whole "playing on Sunday" thing had been weighing on her for a while. She should have quit sooner.

It's simply my oppinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with it. I was answering bostonbully's question.

19. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Here's something interesting
    It's a Welch article but has a good KATE! quote about how the vets go about buisness.

is "closed society" the correct way to put it? I don't thinks it is.

20. gb0888

gb0888 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    M9,
    Remember how Cramer disappeared for about two years, that is called missionary work. Mandatory if you are a practicing Mormon.
    Then she met someone and married. It's the way of the world. Why are you so bitter about her leaving the team? She didn't ruin it April did!!!
    Next year the team could use her if she gets back up to speed.

GB out......

21. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I live in the most populous Mormon state outside of Utah and I don't know of any female Mormons both from HS and college that went on a two year mission.

22. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Try actually reading my other post. I give my opinion of why clearly.
    i don't think i need to answer it again

I never said she ruined it. Again I invite you to actually read the post.

Um no... READ WHAT I SAID..... she quit, doesn't want to play on sunday 'cause she's a MORMON. She quit the team. She's just there as an extra body.

The extent of my opinion was she can kiss my ass. I was asked why i gave my opinion... end of story.

23. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Either she should stick to her beliefs or stick it...

I agree, she walked away from having WUSA and UWNT going crazy for her.

This whole sunday thing was pretty prominant in her reasons, guess she has to spend the whole day in church? no disrepect intended - I go for an hour each sunday, but they are pretty flexible on that.

She walked away, got tired of being the "mormon wife", missed soccer, and then called the coach, who in her infinite wisdom, gave her a 2 week trial.
    AH, but APril may pull a move and decide to keep her....

BTW, Lloyd is not subject to the 2 week trial because she is still a college player and cannot be offered a contract. Nor is there a limit to the amount of contracts April can give out.

24. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    with regards to Crammer and her choice to leave the WNT. One could easily argue that she may have gotten preasure from her parents and or church. While she herself may have wanted to continue at that level. she was still quite young at the time and prhaps her parents while not wanting to come right out and say no, many have made her feel selfish about her choices. Wouldn't be the first time. any folks out there from a strict religious familly i am sure are well aware that parents can lay guilt trips from anything from not going to church every sunday to not giveing up something for lent to not fasting on the sabeth.all depending upon which religion you were born into.

with regards to players being brought into residency. alot of times fresh meat as it were is brought in to challenge the team. After you have played against X player for years. you know their tendencies, and it is easier to anticipate what they might do. Bring in players that the team has not seen alot of and it challenges them to use their skills more then what they know of the player. this is extremely benificial for the team. and it tends to sharpen and hone their skills and their reflex response time.