U.S. v. Brazil 8/2 (2018 ToN Round 3) pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Semblance17, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    We need to win and we need to score a lot of goals. Will Ellis tweak the lineup to do so? or just roll out the same 11 again? We could win with a low score and still lose the tournament. Australia will try to do the same and they are capable of doing exactly that against Japan.

Im betting Ellis does her usual thing..... nothing. Same 11 Im betting

3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked up Japan vs Australia head to head matches the past couple years. It's no given that Australia will beat Japan. Japan has 2 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw vs Australia the past 3 years. Not sure if there are any other friendlies played between these teams, besides last year's ToN Cup match.

6/27/15 - WWC QF
    Australia 0 - Japan 1

2/29/16 - OQA Final
    Australia 3 - Japan 1

7/30/17 - ToN Cup
    Australia 4 - Japan 2

4/13/18 - AFC Grp
    Australia 1 - Japan 1

4/20/18 - AFC Final
    Australia 0 - Japan 1

4. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Youre comparing apples to oranges. THIS JAPAN team is not as good as the above Japan teams and Australia is totally capable of scoring multiple goals to lead in the tie breaker category. All I can hope for is that Ellis reacts to this possibility and comes out to also score a bunch of goals. Just winning will probably not be enough

5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Australia is nearly 2nd to none, IF......they got no injuries & are able to play their top 11 players. But the moment someone's missing, they start sliding, as their not at all deep. This tourney, their missing Cately & Foord's not completely back, but if this team can go 100% injury free, then watch out come WC!

while not being so good at these intervals, Japan proved to be a very strong major tournament.

remember decades ago when their volleyball NT coach used to throw balls right into the faces of his players while they were decked out on the floor, dead exhausted? Makes me wonder if similar tactics were used in soccer, lol. But they did switch to a lady coach a few years back, so not sure how much she'll push them next year.

it really should be Heath starting instead Press, Mathias instead of Sonnett, Zerboni instead of Brian

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Debunked years ago, so you're just speaking from deliberate ignorance.

Nobody trains volleyball by throwing at the face. You train volleyball by spiking or throwing away from the body, so that the player must move to get it.

Your comment was already disproven by videotape. Proven false.

7. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't can't can't wait for Sam & Lisa vs. the Japan backline trap.....feast or famine.

Tomorrow! Tomorrow!
    I love ya Tomorrow!
    You're always a day away.

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So who is going to be at the game tomorrow at Toyota Park?

9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I just ordered my tickets. This'll be one of the biggest crowds Toyota Park has had in a long time. Lower bowl is mostly sold out and they just opened up the Skyway to ticket sales.

/Now that I'm a USSF "member" let's see if they actually record my first "cap" with them.

CoachJon repped this.
  10. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    heath instead of press after heath stunk up the last game?

it should be dunn instead of press, and short at left back.

and altho I like zerboni, i'm not sure she's better than brian.

11. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been in Chicago since Monday sooooooo I'll probably swing by just for the heck of it :D:D:D

jnielsen and CoachJon repped this.
  12. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Anyone want to bet Ellis rolls out exactly the same 11?

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Dunn suppose to be an extra mid, but not going to see much action at left side with an direct player like Pinoe ahead of her

blast from the past, Dunn (at RB) slices up the German defense in the 2012 u20 WC final

jnielsen repped this.
  14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just as long as you're not here for Lollapalooza....

15. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my youth perhaps but now I'm older and...wait I can't say wiser.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    OK. Took half day off, will be heading to the South Side shortly to take on some Tailgating at TP and then the games. Yoo-hoo, can't wait.

So far a nice day in Chicago but they do predict some isolated showers this afternoon-evening. Hopefully non over Bridgeview.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    #17 luvdagame, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    not an extra mid. we were talking about replacing press in that right forward (pugh) spot. you had suggested heath there, & i was questioning that after heath didn't do a good job on sunday.

i was suggesting putting dunn in that spot and putting short in the left back position she normally plays.

[i know why the coaching staff refuses to do this. the left side attack with dunn and pinoe is their only continuous scary push forward against other teams, and short has not been able to do that well. maybe today they'll finally try it (short and pinoe) & put dunn up front on the right with her ncc teammate matthias at right back behind her.]

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    any streams of the australia-japan game in the u.s.?

19. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    U
    US Soccer is streaming ussoccer.com

jackdoggy repped this.
  20. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful day/night in Chicago; although by definition, every USWNT Match Day is BEAUTIFUL. WOW, low 80's for every 2018 ToN Match - - in the middle of Summer!!. Trying to absorb every essence of this day with full knowledge that it will be 29 days to Carson before experiencing it again.

5 hours and 24 minutes until 23 women create Heaven on Earth.

21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    With Lolla going on in the Loop/South Loop, Lakeshore Drive shut down on the north side by a protest, and the Stevenson Expressway being the Stevenson Expressway, give yourself extra time to get down there today if coming from the city.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Dunn had a great tournament. She assisted on two of the three game winning goals in the knockout round from right back. The third game winning goal was assisted by Mollie Pathman from left back

23. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Heading down to Toyota Park shortly. This is my first USWNT game, so I'm pretty excited! Root for an exciting game, please. :)

cpthomas, sitruc, jnielsen and 1 other person repped this.