Alert: U.S. Soccer has extended Klinsmann's contract to 2018

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by orcrist, Dec 12, 2013.

1. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker, neems, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  2. leftback3

leftback3 New Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's ask Bob Bradley how much a contract extension really means

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Jesus Christ why do this so soon? They couldn't wait the 7-8 months to get a better reading on where he has the team?

4. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this change Klinsmann's incentives for better or worse?

For me, the longer time horizon increases his marginal payoff to going with younger players next summer. On the other hand, it takes away the urgency to perform now. I don't like it, on balance.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  5. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also set him as the technical director. I could see a scenario where either a) he does well and holds both roles through 2018, or b) does poor, gets removed from head coach but stays on in that role going forward.

6. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsy is playing with house money now at the WC. Means he can afford to take some chances and go for it. Could be excellent if his players step up, or could be a big flameout.

Young players like Brooks and Bacon must be applauding, their chances of going to the WC just went up.

cpwilson80, Pl@ymaker, neems and 3 others repped this.
  7. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    That was my second thought, but if that's the case it seems like it'd be a separate contract for him to fulfill the TD role that he's probably better suited for if he gets to do what he wants to do, not a whole hog extension as the head coach as well.

Then again Peter Vermes won the MLS Cup doing exactly this, so who knows.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Did he get a raise?

9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he deserve one?

10. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As everybody knows, sporting contracts mean little in the modern world, in the binding sense.
    In the confidence and public perception sense, however, they mean much, much more.

I'm all for USSF displaying as unified and confident a face as possible in the next 6 months.
    LET'S ....... GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

dwsmith1972, futbal4eva and Xenimus repped this.
  11. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    This is worth some hard thinking about whether it's a good move or not. Sure could use some good journalism here.

Mr Martin and kokoplus10 repped this.
  12. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as things don't go horribly next summer, I absolutely love this move. Klinsmann has certainly set himself up a very strong foundation to continue to build on and I beeline he should be give the chance to do so.

Also, I wonder how this will impact the dual-internationals, looking at you Julian Green, on their decision knowing Klinsmann will be in charge for the foreseeable future.

P.S. I wonder how Timmy Chandler is taking the news.

futbal4eva repped this.
  13. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Brad Evans 9ever! :p

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    We can start a hole new pissing contest. Can't wait.

Stan Collins, futbal4eva and deejay repped this.
  15. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    See what happens when NYCFC hires Kreis away from RSL.

Pl@ymaker and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well after the World cup draw the USSF started thinking about the 2018 cycle. :p

Zoti, sXeWesley, kokoplus10 and 17 others repped this.
  17. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    This did not go well when Ireland did the same with Trapattoni.

18. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, but I also thought it had something to do with the difficulty of the draw. The draw has many scenarios in which the team may perform well (in a lot of categories of measure), but fall short of progressing to the knockout stages. It would be tougher public relations move for USSF to renew the contract then, when it looks (superficially anyway) that we failed.

19. huckleberry123333

Jul 17, 2013
    That was my first thought. Last years group, if we didn't go through it would have been easy to say it was a failure and blow the whole thing up. 2014, not so much. We may go through, or play very well and still not go through.

He's done a good job, but is it to the point USSF is worried about him jetting for another team after the WC?

Guinho repped this.
  20. chockfullofthat

Oct 29, 2012
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should get a bonus if he can seduce Julian Green into choosing US.

21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's conceivable that the contract has a clause that would keep him as coach and DT for 4 more years IF he gets out of the group, or something like that, but if he doesn't advance then COULD be dropped as coach but kept as DT if USSF prefers.

22. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Because they clearly wanted to resign him regardless of what happens at the WC. Resigning him after a failed WC (not saying that will or won't happen) would be a less pleasant ordeal for all factions.

23. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, if Germany comes up short in the WC, Jogi is sure to be sacked and Klinsmann would be near the top of the list so it's a good move by the USSF to instill their trust in him for the definite future.

Fanatical Monk and futbal4eva repped this.
  24. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The implication would be that JK would want to take Brooks and Bacon to the WC to get them the experience even if they're not the best options.....

Mmm....gonna have to disagree with that outlook. JK will take whomever he thinks gives him the best chance of success. As it is, Brooks and Bacon both have a good shot at going to the WC. I guess it couldn't hurt that JK will have 2018 in the back of his mind; so your theory is not without merit.

25. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trappattoni's team peaked in 2009 (still hate you Henry) and was always headed downhill after that. Lucked into Euro 2012 by drawing Estonia in playoff then got well and truly embarrassed at the finals tournament. Even if we get smoked 3 times next summer it's plain to see that Jurgen's team is getting better not worse. Ireland renewed Trap when they were already on the way down, Jurgen has his program on the way up. And, unlike Trap, Jurgen won't have to worry about having Germany and Zlatan in his qualifying group for the next World Cup.

SYoshonis repped this.