U.S. Soccer coaching curriculum (Great stuff!

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by truthandlife, Apr 23, 2011.

1. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nothing is wrong with what you say. But even you (who has been battling from inside with this "mobster") should know that the people in charge will not allow this revolution in youth soccer to occur. Why would they want to lose their position of power and money making? Who would make the necessary revolution? Reyna? You? Me?

I know all about "revolution" and what it takes to make it happen. I come from an Eastern European country that overturned the Communists. We wanted Democracy, but let me tell you, Democracy was misunderstood and misused and as consequence created chaos in my country - mafia, more corruption and more lies. At least during Communism there was order and discipline.

It seems to me like you want Dictatorship for youth soccer (and maybe that is what it takes, I agree) in a Capitalistic America. But who is to guarantee that the people who will make this revolution and set new order and standards wont be corrupt as much as the people in charge currently? Who has the most interest and benefit of producing better quality players in this country? MLS and USNT. What are they doing to achieve this? Nothing. College soccer is still the elephant in the room.

Here, I can speak in code and mystery too. I'm sure you will figure what I mean.....

2. mostpreferignorance

mostpreferignorance New Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you said de Kromme, you both have a similar solution to the problems that we currently have through US Youth Soccer. I agree with you both - PB’s comment was more specific, though. I would like to hear even more specific answers. I like the 1-6. I think most people commenting would like to see more technical training through Coerver, 1v1, futsol, and small sided games. We would like to see the technical training show up in the national game.
    So to comment on the 1-6:
    1. US Youth Soccer actually holding clubs accountable for technical development (or lack thereof) would be a huge step in the right direction.
    2. States running the leagues would allow them to look over how clubs are and keep an eye on club practices and player development.
    3. State DOC’s need to get their state in line with US Youth Soccer curriculum instead of hosting camps, training 1v1, and generally using their position for extra income. I would like to see the State DOC’s hired by and report directly to US Youth Soccer – not answerable to state boards. I think that state programs and charters should also be answerable to a US Youth Soccer development “Czar” and graded based on minimal standards testing – then have to publish the grade to the clubs and patrons. I do agree with YONKO that giving more power to the establishment may create a bigger mess than we have now, but I don’t think that it could get too much worse.
    4. Yes
    5. I like the idea of a probationary charter for clubs that are new or that are not developing technical players
    6. This would be the hard part, but if as in (3) the State DOC was kept in line, it would be achievable.
    If the youth system was changed, players would be ready to play for the MLS (or other leagues) and the NCAA colleges may be able to pick up the mediocre standard of play and do more than meet their current objectives of fielding a team.

3. soccerall

soccerall Member

Mar 16, 2005
    I won't go beyond your first sentence. Have you ever seen what/who runs State Associations? The reason the USSF created the Academy system is because, rightfully, the Federation was fed up with all lack of capability with USYSA and the management of State Associations.

Your ideas aren't bad, but all needs to be run by the USSF. Please, please, keep the State Associations far away.

4. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Pete, getting 55 or so state associations (counting the 2 plus in some states) to buy into a stringent program like yours will not work. Not only are they all different with different agenda and leadership, but also most lack the $$$. The change needs to come from the national USSF. The Academy program seems to be a start. USSF is doing a lot of things right.

But, USSF ia doing two things very, very wrong if I understand how the Academy is working. One, they are paying for teams that qualify for the national playoffs to spend a fully funded week in California (and promote it further by getting ESPN/Fox Soccer coverage). This is a direct message that USSF puts winning games above all else. If playing attractive soccer were the litmus test for judging an Academy club, the USSF could and would invite teams that play the most attractive soccer (as judged by USSF scouts) to the Home Depot for a year end event designed to showcase their talents in front of the ESPN/Fox Soccer cameras.

Second, to my knowledge (admittedly second hand) the USSF does not send national trainers to Academy clubs for assessment and training on a regular basis. Why not send someone from outside each club to train the players once every 8-10 practices? For example, in southern California USSF could hire one full time trainer whose job is traveling from club to club on a daily basis, meaning the club would be trained by a national trainer once every 10 practcies or so. Nine or 10 trainers nationally could cover the country and offer consistent training of nationaly agreed upon standards for Academy players.

IMO consistent training by nationally selected trainers from outside the Academy clubs (and maybe an appearance by Reyna once a year), along with eliminating the "win and you get a free trip" and replacing it with "play attractive soccer in accordance with our standards and you win a free trip", would be a cost effective way for USSF to jumpstart a truly "national" standard of soccer.

But so long as USSF values winning over development based on where its $$$ are spent (albeit not according to its rhetoric) you should not expect any real changes to the daily training of top American players.

5. Pörinoki

Pörinoki Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Pete, I don't see a viable reason for the existence of US Youth Soccer. We really have no use of that organization.[/COLOR]

2. State Associations run the leagues -- take over the leagues. I've seen it done. US Youth Soccer must, must, must hold them accountable. It must be a daily agenda -- a constant, a total, "buy in" and onslaught.

Introduce promotion/relegation and it will control the leagues.

3. State Associations are then required to charter local soccer clubs -- soccer businesses. To be chartered, clubs must meet certain, reasonable standards -- ONE OF WHICH IS THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A TECHNICAL, TECHNIQUE BASED ACADEMY THAT PROVIDES ALL PLAYERS AT LEAST ONE DAY A WEEK OF TECHNICAL TRAINING. These businesses need to play games. They can only operate properly if they can play their club teams in the competitive leagues -- which the State Associations run. (I've seen this done. The added revenue from league fees easily pays for administrators that the State Association has to hire to run the league.

Simple is that. I also venture as far as to say: we don't need 55 state associations for it. 55 DOCs, 55 Executive Directors and 55 State Registrars is about over $7 million down the drain annually. We need a handful of regional Technical Directors (TD), with some administrative help. Those TDs would be appointed by the Federation and should be very close allies of Reyna implementing the Federation's ideas, rules and regulations. Surely, geography is an issue but elsewhere in the world is working. Too many middle men dilutes the process. It gives to much wiggling room for corruption. Each TD should also over see a regional training center where the best of the region would live and train, just like most countries where soccer develops.

4. The Technical Academy has specific curriculum requirements that are set down by US Youth Soccer.

5. Clubs are given one to two years to establish and get running the Technical Academy. They have to have a Technical Academy as a part of their club. (Poorly run clubs in my hillbilly state are currently bringing in over three quarters of a million dollars just off of initial player fees. Hiring one director to overlook the technical academy is easily doable.

6. Enforcement: Possible suspension of a clubs charter if they have not established the minimum standards required. State DOC's (those wonderfully honest men with high integrity who will certainly look out for the good of the game) and their assistants, must get off their butts and go out and observe the clubs and "inspect". Threaten thief buddies with probation, etc... The best thing would be a DOC who threatened the clubs that if they don't get in line, they will start communicating to the community that a club is in danger of losing their charter. Things would clean up quickly in most cases. The wild west is certainly being tamed at this point.

The regional TDs need few assistants whom will cover the ground. It's not about enforcing only, it is about quality control. If today's DOCs would really travel, they can cover lot of ground. Been there and done it in part time. All it takes is mojo and the state van.

You want the "barca way" then make sure the curriculum coincides with the barca way. Ajax/KNVB way... A mixture of both? Toss in some Brazilian (futsal program, etc.) You act like this is hard. It is not.

Please, Please,

Explain where this falls short! TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS!!!Then present your idea.

I keep reading new ideas but i wonder how much time has gone into thinking them out. I realize that this will make some mad, but unless you have been deep into this, deep into the muck and mire, I'm not sure how you can come up with something that will actually work. The structure that exists, the reality of how the parental politicians work, the reality of how DOC's that make almost 6 figures off of this scam work, the reality of how parents work when they can't handle confrontation so they just carve everything up behind your backs... If you don't have a plan to neutralize all this you are beating a dead horse.

Dismiss the Youth Boards and the volunteer bozos with the voting power (huh!) who sits there, let go most of the DOCs and take out lots of unnecessary, therefore useless links from the chain.

Nobody even comments on my plan. They just come up with something. Ideas are what has gotten us into this mess. Ideas from parents (I'm not suggesting you are just parents) but ideas from parent politicians are responsible for this disaster, and the continuation of this disaster.

Ideas, when it comes to Youth Soccer, can be very dangerous. VERY DANGEROUS!

You are dealing with mobsters and you want to take money out of their pockets. They are in collusion with the State DOC's and the State Associations. When you come up with a new "financial model" or idea on how to round up the mob, their paid off cops, etc... make sure it has bite or you will be taken out (politically). Can you see this? They see "player development" advocates as people who are threatening their mortgage, taking food off their table, sterilizing the golden goose.

If you don't understand the reality of the muck and mire, then you probably can't argue against my plan. Do you understand exactly what is out there? I've spent 2 years as an acting State DOC, been a club director numerous times, been a State Director for the NSCAA, started two successful leagues, been on all kinds of boards, fought tooth and nail with all kinds of high ranking US Youth Soccer mobsters. Many of my old friends are current mobsters, many have gone over to the dark side. Tell me what is wrong with my plan, and then give us ideas.

Ever noticed how player development people are always the ones that are blackballed? Labelled "hard headed" and talked down about. Labelled "hard to work with"? Its a shame.

Cruyff, Wiel Coerver, Derek Armstrong (with Nomads), Alex Ferguson, Wenger, Van Gaal, etc...

Unless player development advocates have a leader that can stand up against those who have already established their power, who are already making a lot of money off of children's soccer, then there is no chance, no chance for change.

Be real.[/QUOTE]

6. Pörinoki

Pörinoki Member

Apr 15, 2011

y.o.n.k.o,

I hail from Eastern Europe also. I would love to hear what you think is why some former communist countries were very strong soccer nations, yet others helplessly weak. It was not the size of the country, it was not the ruling party and their agenda. The Berlin Wall falling down had nothing to do with the level of soccer, it stayed the same.

7. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner.

Mirzam, the question you asked earlier, about the Q Report and the recomendation that was eventually followed by the German DFB, well...

Regional training centers (ie your city) where the elite club coaches train the elite club players on a regular, scheduled basis. In other words, the way ODP should be.

Headerdunce, excellent post.
    thanks

8. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Hey Y.O.N.K.O

A couple pages back I asked a question about the Chicago DOC.

Any comments?

9. Mirzam

Mirzam Member

Jan 21, 2010
    @Dick's
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, this sorta kinda exists in our state with the younger players (currrently '00s and '99s), they have a program called Young Olympians where (so called) elite club coaches give technical training to higher level kids once a week. But I guess Germany did it better because it hasn't been great (IMHO). My son has gotten much more effective training from his club, and one of his coaches is about as "elite" as you can get, the Technical Director of the professional (MLS) team.

ETA: I think I mentioned this before but my son's MLS club also does this for elite players from other clubs in the area.

10. DwayneBarry

DwayneBarry Member

Aug 25, 2008
    This seems like the key to me, if we are talking about developing a small, yet elite pool of truly international caliber players (i.e. ones that can compete for spots on teams that regularly feature in the champion's league or at the top of the big domestic leagues).

Model these training centers on the clubs that successfully turn out top quality pros.

The question still remains though, who's going to pay for it? As soon as you have the parents paying for it, they're going to want their input.

11. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    There are two similar programs already - id2 and ODP. The problem with both and what you propose is who will select these elite players and who are these elite trainers? Are there really enough elite players and trainers? I don't think the solution is creating a new program for training the best of the best - they don't really exist and if they do, they are not good enough. You are asking for more cost, more traveling and more headache, which I'm not sure it will bring any better results.

You mean IL DOC? What about him?

12. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I didn't propose it. Carlos Querioz proposed it, in detail (much more detail than I've written) back in 1997 or so. Recently I've read responses from top DFB officials when asked what they've done to turn development around. Querioz's program, the one he presented to us in his report, was, in essence, the exact one the DFB gave. Practically word for word. I don't see any cost at all. Top coaches go out and train the area's top kids every Sunday (or whatever). A coach does 1 maybe 2 Sundays a month. Start there.

Yes I do mean the IL DOC. But, if your kid is a top player, and people know who you are, I understand why it wouldn't be smart to say anything other than how great he is. I asked if he was a hard worker, if he emphasizes player development, if he is a good teacher, if he is committed to developing technique, if he is honest and impartial in dealing with the powerful clubs, is he non-political, most importantly does he really have a heart for the kids of Illinois or is he just going through the motions?

Last year I took one of my teams to a college showcase and played a top girls club from Illinois. They had good technique and were all solid players. They were overly structured, not allowed to express any freedom or creativity, not allowed to get numbers up into the attack, but good players and tough to break down. The girls seemed really serious and driven -- as if it was their profession. They were a good team and well coached -- if not overly coached. It seems, in spite of the weather, the Chicago area takes soccer very seriously and does a good job.

13. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006

Porinoki,

But, US Soccer has had Regional Directors, Regional "Hispanic" Directors, Regional this and that for years. All I've ever seen them do is travel and act as good will ambassadors. Sit in on a licensing course and crack a few jokes, etc...

US Soccer and Regional guys hasn't seemed to work. Unless you're the local bartender.

I get that a number of you want US Youth done away with. And you are preaching to the choir brotha. But, I'm under the impression that they aren't going away. Its not possible. So, lets try forcing them to do something good, something right.

Maybe you guys are right. Maybe US Soccer can get rid of them.

14. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    When you talk youth development, especially for pre-teens, you cannot talk about breaking out a small group for special training. There is no way to tell whether a player has a realistic chance of being a "truly international caliber" player until after they have 6-8 years of training. There is a reason that the national residency program is U17, and not earlier.

And really, the purpose of the youth soccer program in this country is not to develop professional athletes for elite European clubs. Youth sports are primarily about education. Individuals, parents and players, may have professional asperations for the player--and that is fine, but that is not the goal of anyone responsible for training millions of kids who may only imagine playing professionally. The goals should be to love the sport and amatuer athletics in general as well as learn lessons about competition and teamwork that they can apply to life.

15. DwayneBarry

DwayneBarry Member

Aug 25, 2008
    I wasn't thinking about pre-teens so much as right around the earliest teens. I agree you can't tell at 12-13 who's going to be truly international caliber but you can probably do a pretty good job of picking out those that might have a shot. Then focused training in a relentlessly competitive environment seems to be the way it's achieved at the clubs that do it successfully, no? Not to mention the constant search for untapped talent to invite into the club at the expense of those not making the grade.

Probably not at all healthy for the kids, but nonetheless, seemingly the way its done in most of the world.

And I agree this has little to do with the value of youth sports in general.

16. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I agree that the best approach is a grass roots effort where local coaches and organizations take the initiative to provide quality training opportunities outside the "team" structure. The problems however are extreme if you are trying to manage it from the top down. In my county, not the state but just my county alone, there are 32,000 kids playing matches every saturday in the Fall and Spring.

My belief is that it is the 8 to 14 age group and ball skills that ought to be targeted, the closer to 8, the more important to reach them. If you are identifying future elite players among 8 year olds, you are kidding yourself. It is not so much the ones you include, but its the 8 year olds you exclude. The question is not how skilled are they at 8, but in the future at 18.

17. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You don't see cost at all? Which top trainers would go every Sunday to specific place to work for free for 90-120min.? Who would cover the cost of commute there, for both trainers and players? It may work for Germany, because they are small country (compared to US), each of their regions is probably the size of Chicagoland. Take for example Region 2 in US, the Midwest region, that is a huge land with many players. Where would that regional center for elite player be located at? Chicago? Who from Ohio would travel once a week for a training session to Chicago? How many elite coaches in that region can offer a different training session than what the elite players get at their clubs? What age group is this elite training program going to be for? You can't have this program for players younger than U14. What about the younger ages? How are you going to address their needs?

Looking at what other countries have done and how it has worked for them is a good thing, but it doesn't mean it will work in this country. It needs to be adjusted to suit the size of the country and the complexity of the structure. We don't need to create new programs that are similar to what we already have or had in the past, which don't or didn't work. On the contrary, we need to eliminate some programs and organizations. We need unity and not many different organizations/programs/leagues for youth soccer. One organization, one program are enough if they are structured the right way, ran by the correct people and the material taught is correct.

I don't know much about the IL DOC. I don't know how much he knows and what he does for player development.

This sounds like you played an Eclipse team. Is that correct? I believe in a balance between structure and allowing players to express their creativity. Teams and players need equal amount of both - too much of one and not enough of the other, is not good IMO.

Yes, in Chicago there is a nice amount of good players, both boys and girls, being developed.

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Every coach that works for me, every decent coach I know that isn't in it just for the money, me...

I suspect a few others.

If there was some form of leadership that we could believe in, that we could trust, that we believed would stand up and make a difference, most of the guys that I would want in such a program would buy in.

Not everybody is a youth soccer gangster.

20. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
  21. DwayneBarry

DwayneBarry Member

Aug 25, 2008
    I like it because it agrees with my impression of player development I alluded to above. By around age 12 or 13 the ones with the best shot at "making it" need to be identified and placed in an environment that will maximize their development if the goal is to produce elite players.

Let the rest follow the pay to play club path and get their college scholarships.

Before they are 12 or 13 or so teach them the technical skills and don't screw them up by stifling their creativity.

22. soccershins

soccershins Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto

Very good stuff!

RZ provides some good perspective on here -
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...846/New-curriculum-aims-to-teach-right-things

"I recently heard a story about a coach at a major club telling an aspiring player that technical development is complete at age 13 and from that point on players should learn mainly by scrimmaging. Really?"

23. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    He then put 4 cones out, tossed out the ball, said something to the effect of: "knock the ball around a bit" and went over and smoozed the Mom's for the rest of practice working them to recruit the other clubs best players.

sorry,

couldn't help myself

24. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "TRAIN THE TRAINERS" was a very popular function at IBM. Having top trainers go around and teach kids is functional, but having those same people train coaches might be a better long term strategy. There are only about 15 or 20 coaching cd's out there. A few more quality CD programs sanctified as "gospel" to distribute for free to coaches might help.

I always think brainstorming can help a problem if there is a problem. Of course there are going to be bad ideas that get suggested, and good reasons why that idea wont work. But at least someone tried to think of something. Now its pretty hard to have better soccer with mediocre officiating. Fortunately here, especially in MLS we evidently have the very best refs in the entire world....
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1724275

ever poke a stick into a hornets nest? :D

25. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    A decent coach is not an elite coach. Maybe a few coaches that you know would be willing to work for free, but none that I know of.

Coaching is only one part of the cost. What about traveling cost? What about fields/facility cost, equipment cost? These player would have to be selected and scouted, no? What about the cost for that?

It's up to the clubs to produce elite players, not up to some artificially created programs that will cost a lot.