U.S. Soccer begins talks over building new national training center

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, May 2, 2017.

1. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea. But the 3am fire alarms will be replaced by 3am drones equipped with sirens hovering overhead.

2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kentucky it is, then!

3. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Anti drone Eagles-

blacksun repped this.
  5. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Zinkoff

Zinkoff Member

Jul 2, 2014
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a native of St. Louis, having something like this in town would be well-received and supported. Youth sports are already huge in the area, particularly high school soccer, and I could imagine solid turn outs for games hosted there. There is plenty of cheap land in the area, it is centrally located, and extremely close to the KC facility. However, unfortunately, I think it would be pretty silly to locate this center in a place with real winters. The DFW area, as others have pointed out, would be a good candidate. Central-ish, a hot-bed of talent, easily accessible, affordable land etc.

7. Step Over

Step Over Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm admittedly biased but, I think they should team up with the group creating the Atlanta Sports City for a few reasons:

http://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...plex-built-stonecrest/Stu1VgHuWy8ZC3CPW19YaJ/

This group is already investing heavily in this facility so a lot of the infrastructure is covered therefore additional USSF capital could make the complex truly world class with money left over to cover the other things discussed earlier.

Atlanta metro has a huge base of competitive youth academies.

They can train outdoors year round.

Travel from Europe and South America is much easier for any international tournaments. This facility is close to the airport.

They have already have Carson (cover West), KC complex (cover Midwest), Frisco (cover Texas), and Disney complex (cover Florida).

Zinkoff repped this.
  8. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Something I think could be helpful at the USSF level would be a full-time training environment for U-18 players who are likely headed to Europe as soon as they're eligible--guys like Sargent. Right now MLS clubs are often justifiably reluctant to spend resources training these kids, but they can't formally sign with a European club until they turn 18 (unless they have an EU passport like Pulisic). This is something I think the Bradenton academy could have pivoted towards rather than shutting down altogether, but if there aren't enough players in this boat to make a full-time academy for them worthwhile, what if USSF reimburses MLS clubs for their resources spent developing these players or even pays out a bonus to them based on the players' later performance in Europe or with the national teams?