U.S. Soccer begins talks over building new national training center

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, May 2, 2017.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grant Wahl:
    U.S. Soccer begins talks over building new national training center with big surplus

U.S. Soccer made a $46 million net profit off the Copa América Centenario last year and now has a surplus in excess of $100 million. So what is the federation going to do with some of that money?

Talks have begun at U.S. Soccer about building a new dedicated national training center that would be like the one France has at Clairefontaine and Italy has at Coverciano, though it is too early in the discussions to identify a location. StubHub Center in the Los Angeles area has been the national training center since it opened in 2003, but that facility has become crowded with the arrival of the NFL’s Chargers.

A new national training center would be a massive construction project and investment in the future of American soccer. It would come on the heels of the new National Training and Coaching Development Center being built by Sporting Kansas City, which is due to open in December and become an epicenter for the future of coaching education in the country while also boasting brand new training facilities.

edcrocker repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Southeast would be the best location, maybe Atlanta, Orlando, or Tampa?

The Chargers won't be in Carson for long, so building it in SoCal doesn't make much sense, they can keep using that when they need a facility out west. The Midwest is already getting the new center near KC... The DC or NY areas would make sense, but it gets quite cold and snowy for a large part of the year...

edcrocker repped this.
  3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Too hot and humid.

Need someplace that can grow bluegrass.

4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly built in conjunction with an MLS expansion club?

5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA is already home to camp cupcake, and you can play outside year around in pleasant weather. That's probably enough of a reason to build it there. I doubt that the Chargers make a difference one way or another.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they build new facilities in LA when they can already use the existing facilities there?
    As you say, the Chargers presence doesn't make a difference, the "crowding" issue will go away in a couple years.

7. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was in place in KC?

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article is five sentences long, and you don't even have to click through to read it since I posted the entire thing...

It would come on the heels of the new National Training and Coaching Development Center being built by Sporting Kansas City, which is due to open in December and become an epicenter for the future of coaching education in the country while also boasting brand new training facilities.​

9. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they use Carson can't they use that new facility ATL United just built.

10. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate that. I meant, I thought US Soccer threw some $$$$ at that and was going to call it their own?

11. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, for a long time the excuses on the US not keeping up with the best in youth player development revolved around money. At least those should go away. Now the questions will be whether a facility investment is the best use of funds, compared to alternatives like fully funding curriculum and coaching development.

12. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    MIAMI!!

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Don't be shocked if they invest even more money in that Kansas City facility as a solution. Its centrally located.

People aren't going to like the following thought..............................

The USSF has been bending over backwards putting events, camps, youth competitions, etc. in the Toyota Park complex in Frisco, Texas They're building the Hall of Fame there right now. There's so much space and land in that part of Texas. FCD themselves owns and maintains almost 50 fields between the Toyota Park and MoneyGram park complexes. [Hence why so many youth competitions are there.]

Before people go nuts with that idea, consider what the noisy neighbors (the Dallas Cowboys) are building in Frisco..............
    Its 91 acres with their corporate offices, practice facilities, a 12k seat indoor stadium, retail/restaurants, an Omni hotel, and on and on.

[​IMG]

For a long time MLS fans have talked about Frisco being a major problem in terms of location for FCD. Guess what? The metroplex is moving to Frisco. I was just there for the first time in 4 years, and the construction that's taking place in Frisco, Texas is astonishing. The Cowboys facility is part of what they're calling the "5 billion dollar mile." People driving thru Frisco these days would say "hell, why was I whining about this? This city looks bigger than Columbus!" Its one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. This is just one section of town............................

US soccer could buy the land for nuthin' and build whatever the hell they wanted.
    [​IMG]

schlomo, justinpaul10, edcrocker and 2 others repped this.
  14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I go to every game and if I haven't been that way in two weeks a new building has popped up. In four years it would be astonishing. They need 100k more construction workers in DFW.

15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the East coast for our European players .Florida spots have plenty of direct flights and mild weather.

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mild between November and April. ;)

Winoman repped this.
  18. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then we can go to California.

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a load of crap. This article displays an inherent moral disapproval in USSF having money, and takes the unilateral opinion a dedicated national training center isn't the best use of money, because we already have some pretty good training centers elsewhere. I guess it's always easy to tell other people how to spend their money.

The authors suggestion is to use the money to accomplish unspecified methods in increasing "diversity" and obtaining "proportional representation." I wonder if he criticizes basketball for not being proportional enough ?

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Boehm has a point and I don't think he was disrespectful to USSF while stating it.

However, it's overstated. Mostly there are places to play. Or at least there are in my corner of urbania. There could be more it's true enough.

In general though, this money should not go to salaries since it's windfall. How do we pay these guys when the money runs out?

I would say that we need to spread it out a bit. Start up self-sustaining programs that impact development. That is no simple task and needs some thought.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Soccer is again missing the point. It should all go to the women's team players because they always earn more.

23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    With all the club investment in infrastructure I too don't see a specific need. Better offices for everyone? Rent free residency? Ribbon cutting and a legacy?

24. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Save it to get the coach you want after the next world cup. Time for a big time contract on a big time coach.

We should also start to build our own US Soccer compounds in every central American hellhole so we have a peaceful place to sleep and train while playing qualifiers. No more 3am fire alarms.

tyguy and rlrcpa repped this.
  25. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because that worked so well the last time. The second point is very intriguing though.

tyguy repped this.