U-9---U13 Yellow Cards

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Spencedawgmillionaire, Mar 13, 2017.

1. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    On Saturday I gave an 11 year old a yellow card for a dirty tackle from behind. While the victim is ruling on the ground the coach is telling you can't give a kid a yellow card for his first foul. (The victim came back in to the game a couple minutes later, being u12 the amount of force wasnt there to injure the player, but I explained to the kid who I gave the yellow to that as he gets older and bigger the chances to cause injury increases and the likelihood of getting a red card for that same tackle increases)

dadman repped this.
  2. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    My guess is the asshat going nuclear on the sideline was her rec coach.

Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  3. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    What about for simulation? Not my game, but U10 boys club game. Two players kicking a ball at the same time, and one does a horrible job of acting, throwing himself to the ground. It was almost Jim Carrey-esque." Center just looked at them, apparently not believing what he just saw.

The second time the same kid did the exact same thing, when the ball went over the touchline, the center gave him an AC with a "knock it off." This kid does it a third time. The center then tells him "at the next level you would have gotten a yellow the first time and a red the second time. Stop making a fool of yourself."

Personally, I am thinking a yellow after the second one and there may not have been a third one. But since it was not my game, I did not say a word.

dadman repped this.
  4. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I gave a yellow to a U12G player for jumping at a keeper as she punted the ball. The ball nicked the jumper's shoulder. Easy yellow.

Later on a DFK after a foul, two players statued shoulder to shoulder over the ball. I said forcefully "Back it up" and they did around five yards. The kicker asked for ten and as I stepped it off I explained to the girls standing right on top of the ball is a cardable offense.

One of the statues was the previously carded jumper. She asked "So I could have gotten ejected for two yellows?" I assured her she would have. This tournament players sit out the next game after a red, and this game was a semifinal. Hopefully they learned something.

dadman repped this.
  5. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Unless this is persistent, no need to caution for this at all. Just the IFK.

6. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm regretting not giving a yellow to a U11 boy in a tournament game on Saturday. His team was losing with 3 minutes left to play and he came up and shoved the player with the ball. I immediately gave the foul and told him to knock it off, but now I feel that I should have given a yellow for this. What do you guys think?

7. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Go with the -- feel ... should have .. -- and you will me more right than wrong.

From the description, there was frustration demonstrated by player, that resulted in his cynical action. The time left to play has no particular relevance, nor the cause of his frustrated action.

This player will remember you for getting away, and when you see him again at the next tournament, you cannot hold that against him, right?

voiceoflg repped this.
  8. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    We usually have a set of games at one location, so in a matter of hours my crew and I will do a wide range of ages and sometimes level of play.

I tell you that because I carded a high level U12 player for diving on Sunday.

It was his second pratfall of the match. The first one was a bit shocking as we had just finished a U16g's match where nothing had happened and I wasn't tuned to the match yet.

dadman repped this.
  9. wh1s+1eR

wh1s+1eR Member

Apr 23, 2017
    okay, i fresh inquire == are you actual referee and ask question, or as coach ask question? I, very nosey parker, please illuminate.

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    As a general matter, I agree with the caution for this. (Game factors/skIll level could change my mind, but generally I hunk this should be cautioned.). This is a knucklehead move that had no place in soccer and can either cause injuries or intimidate the GK. Just calling the foul makes it a good strategy at this age -- the FK is nowhere near as favorable as the GK punt. This is USB. (The now-defunct ATR called it out as an express example of USB.)

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Impossible to tell without the context of the game and the player and seeing the specific play. At U11, a warning may be enough to change behavior for the future. You were at the game and watched the player -- do you think the warning had the impact you wanted? If so, not showning the card was probably the right choice. If you felt it was a cynical,play rather than just childish frustration, and the player left your conversation with a swagger, than you probably would have been better off making the point with the card.

dadman repped this.
  12. wh1s+1eR

wh1s+1eR Member

Apr 23, 2017

Hey, happen same way in one my match, I make difficult feeling, me flag duty and referee, talking to player but not make effect. Ok, I lookup AC and understand severe talk with mischief player.

Who frustrate more with referee tell at next level -- player or coach?

Coach more. Referee look first time, not do much, yes? Why referee talk to diver after second time, i not understand. When player same method again, referee also must. And take correct action. To me, booking with yellow card simple step, and necessary. No need tell player at next level, he know already. He not respect referee then, i know certain. Me, I not say not word, i put flag up and tell him, please write name in book for player. If referee not write him in book after I tell, then I go home and think deeply why I work again with that referee.

13. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yet another of those cases where the USSF AtR suggested something that FIFA recommends otherwise.

There's a clip of just this type of incident on the latest FIFA Futuro video. IFK/NC is the result.

The Laws don't (and never have) listed this as an example of USB for YC, and there's been plenty of opportunity to do so through the years, especially on the latest rewrite.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  14. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #64 IASocFan, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Intentionally blocking a keeper's punt is always worth a yellow in my book.

Ickshter, mathguy ref and dadman repped this.
  15. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jumping in front of a GK punting/throwing a ball out it literally the dumbest card you can earn for me. It's "here's your card and here's your sign" kind of stuff.

16. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
  17. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I do a lot of U8-U12 matches, usually the "Don't do that", stated firmly and why scares most of them into stopping. When they don't, the card comes out.

Good example was a kid, after me calling an obvious foul on him throws up his arms and loudly proclaims "Aw, come on!" His back was to me. "#12, come here, don't 'aww come on' me. It was a foul, keep griping and you're getting carded mmmkay?"

Didn't hear another peep from him. I think kiddos get it from the parents and don't think it's a problem.

dadman repped this.
  18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Do you really have the same standard for cautions in U12 as the World Cup? IFAB has never suggested that the list it provides is exclusive -- it says "including." (Suggesting the ATR was suggesting something the laws were suggesting otherwise is simply incorrect: the Laws did not suggest not cautioning, the Laws were silent, which is not the same thing.) You certainly don't have to caution for this, but at u12 this is a dangerous and provocative act. A caution is fully acceptable under the LOTG, and is, IMHO, the best practice.

19. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    U12 Games are way more important than those World Cup games. Are you trying to stunt the careers of those future national team players?

dadman repped this.
  20. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Of course U12 isn't the same as World Cup levels, you're starting to straw man there. The point of sharing that was to show FIFA's recommendations. Which are supposed to be applied at all levels (and let's be honest... are applied more often at grassroots levels than at World Cup levels sometimes!)

I personally would both never caution the first time (or two) and would never recommend doing so, at any level. A player does it again, then we're definitely looking at a caution for persistent infringement, and if a team is doing it (in the same manner as targetted fouling), then unsporting behaviour would be the thing to do.

This is NO MORE a dangerous and provocative act at U12 than it is at men's rec or World Cup.

Grand scheme of things, this isn't a card that IFAB (or FIFA) wants to see unless the behaviour is repeated (within the same match).

21. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Opinion or is there basis for this?

Spencedawgmillionaire repped this.
  22. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ask Chris Smalling if he thinks this is card worthy. Two years ago he went full on stupid in an EPL game and did this while sitting on a yellow. He promptly drew his second yellow and hit the showers.

If you dont card this the first time you will have players at both ends harassing GKs all match long. And that would be true at every level from U-little to pros.

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    My WC reference is not a straw man at all. It was you who said that the fact it wasn't given in the WC means it shouldn't be given in in the U12 game that started his discussion. We've had numerous discussions about card differences in those games where accumulation is extremely important.

We're just going to disagree on this. I think your inference about what IFAB wants is a product of your preference, not something for which there is actual support. (The ATR was not the product of ill informed buttons -- it was written by very experienced referees. There is a good reason those experienced referees included it as an ex ole of USB.

I, and several other experienced youth referees who weighed in here, are going to recognize this as a form of USB and caution it (again, subject to details: keep in mind, in the example, the player jumped at the GK and blocked the kick); if you choose not to, that is certainly your prerogative.

24. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Continued instruction, and an enquiry sent to the IFAB asking specifically about it. Their response:

No, my pointing out of that was that FIFA puts out material for instruction with the interpretations that they desire, at all levels.

Either way, if you wish to continue to go that route, by all means, do so.

25. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

Interesting. Do you have a link for that? I'm not convinced that it makes a caution in a youth game inappropriate, but it's certainly worth some thought. (And I'm biased on this one: I think the ATR was right that this should be a caution -- and I think if there were a few more examples at a high level, it would be added to IFAB's list. It's not on IFAB's radar screen, I suspect, because it just doesn't happen at high levels.)