U-23 camp - October 2019 - Miami

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by bshredder, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    There are structural impediments to MLS actually having selling players as a business model. But, of course, they are all self imposed. It is MLS that has expressed a desire to sell players.

Also, nobody ever said you had to sell and not buy. They could have sold Pomykal (or Acosta) and bought in the same window a replacement. Or, they could have planned ahead and had an USL player ready or a replacement on the roster. It is not easy and requires planning. Let's face it, maybe two or three teams are doing this (Atlanta, NYRB, ...?); everyone else is just trying to use HG players to max their salary cap and allow them to use TAM on foreign impact players.

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Gary trashed Araujo after he signed with the Galaxy.

3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Araujo was barely a Galaxy academy player. He was with their academy for such a short amount of time that he wasn't even eligible to be a homegrown at the start of the year. Araujo has very little to do with the Kleibans.

ussoccer97531 and Patrick167 repped this.
  4. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Even at FCD, this player pipeline thing is still in its infancy. Selling Pomykal at 20 or 21 (the Adams route) is still selling a young player (and probably much more realistic in terms of willing suitors who actually want to see him produce and be healthy for longer than a stretch of a couple of months).

It's also a little unrealistic to expect them to have the next player ready to step right in at this point. That assembly line is still a year or so away, I'd say. They've accelerated it a bit, but they've also been pushing the envelope and flirting with a subpar season while going that route.

Stupid_American repped this.
  5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I get that. But the answer for not having a replacement ready is probably not holding on to the commodity. They held onto Acosta and will not get anything near what they probably would have received and it might have damaged Acosta's career. NYRB sold Adams and their Plan A to replace him didn't work and it has hurt them. But long term, when that Sell-On clause is triggered, it will look good. Plus it forced them to Plan C faster and that player will probably be sold on for a good amount next year.

In other words, not having a ready back up is a problem, but the bigger mistake might still be not selling. Again, comparing to NYRB: do kids thinking about signing with NYRB worry they will be locked into 5 years at HG salary? If FCD doesn't move any players next window, now all the 20 yo's turn 21 and are blocking the 19 yo's, what does the 16 yo think? That is how RSL did it. They are still playing those '97s and all the kids behind them are blocked or left.

7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    There's no way you can say that they are "holding on to a commodity" when that commodity is still 19 and hasn't played a full season yet. If the 16 yo is sweating leaving the club that bad, he probably shouldn't sign there in the first place. No matter the ambition of the player, there has to be some level of commitment before they go.

The '97s are RSL don't necessarily prove your point. Brooks Lennon had his shot in Europe and came back. Whether or not the others are good enough or had options is questionable.

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Acosta could’ve you know, just played better and gotten more interest abroad.

And I don’t think any reporter actually confirmed any Euro offers made for Kellyn. Just so and so club is watching him.

9. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were legit Euro offers but they were from England. So that raises the UK work permit issues.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure...………………….they same problem that every club in Europe has. Very few can do what you suggest and challenge annually for titles. And many of them are in the smaller leagues where one club completely dominates the landscape (Dinamo Zagreb, etc.)

Imagine if Southampton actually kept all of their players. Maybe they'd win more than one major trophy every 100 years. Huzza!

Why didn't FCD sell Acosta sooner? Because at the time they were gunning for multiple trophies, including the CCL. With Acosta in 2017, they qualified for the semifinal, giving Pachuca everything they could handle. Maybe people don't remember this but Acosta scored a fantastic brace in the quarterfinal and the game winning goal in the first leg against Pachuca in the semifinal.

I suspect FCD would never trade in those trophies for the money that would have been gained by an earlier Acosta trade. They're not Bayern Munich. Windows for trophies don't come along for them very often. 2016 was a magical season for the club. Lest we forget...………..they won the Supporters Shield, US Open Cup, the U18 DA title, and the U16 DA title. An achievement that any club will be hard pressed to match in an incredibly long time. If Mauro Diaz hadn't gotten injured at the end of the season, that club with Kellyn Acosta had every chance to win the treble. Or with the academy titles...……...the quintuple. Because we've had a couple of monster seasons by clubs since then (Atlanta United last year. TFC a few years ago), I think folks forget just how dominant FCD was in 2016. That was a special season.

Anyway, back to the U23s.

11. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like Dallas's issues of not winning stem more from terrible scouting and player analysis. If they fix that, their homegrown strategy will allow them to nicely save tons of cap and I'm sure they could compete with a youth strategy that involves moving guys on at a young age and keeping the ones who are only B+ prospects.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Phase 1: Fix terrible scouting and player analysis

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Profit

;)

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

14. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a little update from camp

I was told that last night the U.S. U-23s played a local selection of players that was made up of Inter Miami's U-19 team as well as a few other older local pros.

In a scenario that is very similar to the USMNT-Cuba game, the U.S. U-23 team won 7-0 with the team scoring 6 goals in the first half.

Kreis replaced the entire starting XI at HT.

I know 9/10 starting field players.

Backline was: Herrera-McKenzie-Trusty-Vines
    Midfield was: Cappis, Durkin, and Mendez
    I'm missing the other winger but one was Jonathan Lewis
    The CF was Soto.

I was told everyone in this starting lineup played well. I don't know all the goal scorers but I was told Soto had one and Lewis had "a couple"

I was told to keep an eye on Cappis. He's playing well. As is Jonathan Lewis.

In the scond half, the team was much more disjointed but Glad and Richards also played well in central defense.

I was told Mihailovic struggled.

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Lewis will be a beast in this age group, especially at the CONCACAF level. He and Vines should be on the left side since they do that with the Rapids.

If qualifying is predominantly domestic and the system is supposed to be the same as Berhalter’s, then Yueill is the #6 and I’d love to see Pomykal as the #8 in front of him. With maybe Aaronson as the 10.

You can still even go Pomykal as the 10 and someone like Servania/Cappis as the 8. Then push Aaronson out to RW.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Sands (NYCFC) he belongs in this group.

17. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don’t know if he fits

central defense? Is he better than Glad, Robinson, McKenzie, Richards, Trusty?

In the No. 6? Is he better than Dotson, Servania, Yueill, Durkin?

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Or we can take advantage of that versatility to have a player on the bench that can play both CB and CM :)

At this point I put him in the CB competition, but as you say...……………..its crowded. [Not to mention Carter-Vickers, Palmer-Brown, and the Euro contingent. Antonee Robinson can play there. ] Good problems to have.

19. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    didn’t sands pretty clearly look better than mckenzie and trusty pre injury?

20. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Sands is the best passer out of that domestic group. Maybe not as good a defender as Robinson or Trusty, but he held up really well in that regard until his injury.

21. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Nope.

22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think it is somewhat moot as I can't imagine Sabbi's team letting him go to Olympic qualifying while an MLS club may.

23. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hobro is pretty cooperative

Tom Collingsworth and gogorath repped this.
  24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a crowded field, no question.

25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he was a lot better than McKenzie this season. I'd say overall he was better than Trusty. Trusty was a very good defender but terrible passer. Sands was comparable to Glad, after Glad got out of his funk. Glad has the advantage of being left-footed. But Sands is also more versatile than anybody you listed but maybe Richards.

And at his other position he's far better than Durkin, who is a sieve w/out being an elite passer even (merely good). I think I'd give the other 3 a minor edge in cm over him because they're all-arounders. But Dotson may be more useful at lb, where I'm tepid right now on Vines and Gloster. They have more to prove to feel comfortable w/ them as starters on a u-23. And Sands is the best ball-winner of the group. I figure Kreis, implementing Gregg's system, want a better long passer. But I'd like to see a destroyer between creative 8-10's like Parks, Pomykal, etc.

Tom Collingsworth, LouisZ and Patrick167 repped this.