U-20s CONCACAF Championship/U20 WCQs

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Dec 16, 2009.

1. RagingBull

RagingBull Member

Oct 29, 2009
  2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    thanx for the link.

what a bomb by sydney.

once again, no one with her combination of speed and skill on the senior team. but, i'll be patient.

4. fanaticdefutbol8

fanaticdefutbol8 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Totally agree ^. We have no one like her on any US nat'l team. Waiting on that call up...

5. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    England played shorthanded for more than 30 minutes. :( Spoiled the win imo. Anybody know which position Verloo played in the matches?

That annoying little "RUNNER" just keeps scoring. But who needs her. The USWNT already has Cheney and Rodriguez. :rolleyes:

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What are you talking about? When was the last time Rampone played? When will her next game be?

Seriously, pay attention or stop posting nonsense.

And as far as young blood, did you look at the Algarve roster? Did you see our forwards?

Algarve Cup ages:
    32 - 1
    31 - 1
    29 - 2
    28 - 3
    27 - 2
    25 - 1
    24 - 3
    24 - 2
    23 - 3
    22 - 2
    21 - 1

Median - 25 -> more than half the players are 25 or younger.

The two 30-somethings are Mitts and Boxx.

For the USWNT, this is a very young roster. Sure, I'd like to see more younger players, but this isn't the oldtimers brigade we've been seeing for much of the last decade.

1 person likes this.
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the US Soccer website releases have listed the players in the order of their positions, although it doesn't identify the positions. From the way they're listed, Verloo (from Tualatin, Oregon) played outside right back. Portland's Kendall Johnson (from Portland, Oregon) played outside left back (confirmed as an outside back by the text of one of the game reports). I guess we produce good outside backs up here. (Clive Charles was an outside left back. I think Garrett Smith was an outside right back. Both have been major contributors to the club program up here, so maybe some of that has rubbed off.)

8. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    I was hoping they would try new people at D-Mid.

9. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Andy my mistake, I should have said new blood instead of young blood. I realize the individual strengths of our girls and I am not one to blatantly put down players. The reality is we are not playing good soccer. It may be Solo's job but we have depended on her to much. When we used to have some speed on the backline it was not a problem like it is now. Pia has brought in people which is a good start. I don't consider myself qualified enough to say what college players can make it at this level. It will not be easy finding a replacement for Boxx and I am hoping Cheney can mesh with Abby. We may be a team in transition but I find other people on these boards frustrated also.

10. Ads13

Ads13 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Stepup, I agree with you. I know the ladies are working hard to become a better team, but it's frustrating nonetheless. The game against Germany will show where US players are, just like the game against them in October did, when the US was outplayed.

11. sarahpt

sarahpt New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    does anyone know why Cat didnt play in this game?

12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally used up this disposable, non-zoomable camera my dad bought.
    Lower Soccer Field at WSU in Pullman is neither perfectly flat nor symmetrically crowned -- it sort of sags in the middle.

Sun 08 Nov 2009: WSU 0-2 UCLA
    28' 0-1 #2 Sydney Leroux advances for a UCLA throw-in.
    Lauren Cheney lurks in the background.
    [​IMG]

30' 0-1 #8 Lauren Cheney awaits a throw-in by
    WSU #13 Mariah Cameron (not #3 Kiersten Dallstream).
    Sydney trudges midward -- they switched sides?
    [​IMG]

Funny: In the 2nd half, Sydney dribbled hard endline, lost control as she planted, shanked her shot into the side netting, and squealed in frustration -- "shoot" or "darn it", something like that.

Ditzy: UCLA's 2nd goal was a 1st-half buzzer-beater, hence they were in a good mood. WSU's halftime shtick includes a "Name that Tune" segment for one young contestant. They played like 400 milliseconds of the tune over the PA system, and the entire UCLA team recognized it, shrieked, and started dancing in unison near midfield: hands up they're playing my song

Grumpy: I had to Google the lyrics afterwards. Bah. Kids these days --