U-20, U-19, and U-17 January Camp (Jan. 4-13, Florida)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 26, 2018.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    FYP. Confidence is high. Unless Taitague is trolling you for some strange reason, he's in. Pretty sad that we have to piece together rosters in this way. Many thanks for serving as our designated stalker.

2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 ChuckMe92, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  3. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
  4. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    No: Siad Haji
    Yes: Frankie Amaya

5. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    Bolded those who are in.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    It is good to see that Ferreira, Fernández and Keita were called, they are good prospects. The only surprise of the list in my opinion is Simon Becher, does anyone have any idea how he plays?

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #33 Clint Eastwood, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    No idea on Simon Becher.

Interesting to see Mark Salas of the FCD academy make the roster. He's been good at UNC, and has been on my radar for a potential homegrown signing. [His brother Martin Salas, also a USYNTer, has had bad luck with injuries.]

So five FCD academy products here...............Ferreira, Pomykal, Cappis, Servania, and Salas.

The absence of a 6th is worthy of mention. If Chris Richards was available, then he'd probably be at this camp. Transfer to Bayern imminent?

Another surprisingly absent player? Andrew Carleton. Is he in some sort of global soccer purgatory? Has Ramos actually taken an extended look at Carleton for the U20s? I don't think so.

Anderson11 and Luksarus repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Holy Cross also seemed like a somewhat odd place for a YNT-type player to land, though Becher did end up leading the (losing) team in scoring as a freshman by a substantial margin. Wonder where he's headed, if the fact that he's listed as unattached means he's left.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, the assistant coaches at the camp are interesting.
    Maybe I missed Omid Namazi being an assistant coach with this team.
    Would it surprise anybody if he ends up being Ramos' successor with the U20s? Not me.

Also...............Frank Klopas? Wazut? A guy who was within a whisker of winning a CONCACAF Champions League is now an assistant on a US youth team. He is the kind of guy you could see US soccer naming as the U23 coach. Just throwing that out there

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Taitague being included and not at winter training with Schalke must mean he is not in their plans at all. Injuries have really knocked him off his once promising trajectory. He is now on the Zelalem (injury stalled) or CCV (still young enough and not having broken through at a top club) track from last cycle. Will need to showcase at the U20 WC (if he can make the team) to get a loan or a move.

Pretty disappointing considering he wasn't released for the last tournament AFAIK because they wanted him at Schalke. But these are the ups and downs of prospects and while our YNTs will lose a lot of players every cycle to pro clubs needing them, we will probably also pick up a few of these former hot prospects every cycle for the tournament.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Some quick data:
    • We're now at 70 players this cycle (not counting age-eligible MNT-only guys)
    • I count at least 47 professionals including the now-official GA guys (announcement went out earlier); there were 87 all of last cycle
    • Ramos has issued 173 callups; there were 302 all of last cycle
    • 42 '99s, 24 '00s, 4 '01s
    • 9 GKs (most since 2013 cycle, when there were 11)
    • Perry jumps out from the latest list as a guy who, for whatever reason, hasn't been involved in almost a year; of course, there's Lara, too
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lfMvt087D65kHEJtitNuODh4dPgpKCQTi6Ae9VJ2c0g/edit?usp=sharing

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA's Matt Hundley is indeed in for the US U19s, though he arguably should have been called for the U20s.

About a week ago I saw something on Reyes' IG that hinted at a US callup, as with Lara, and apparently both were indeed called but Reyes was not released by Monterrey.

14. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    This could be a good thing though. They could want him to be with the first team preparing for the next Liga MX season?? I think he made the bench one or two times last season

Pl@ymaker, TheFalseNine and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U17s are shaping up: Busio, Dietz, Fuentes, Gray, Imperato, Ocampo-Chavez, Odunze, Pepi, Reyna, Saldana, Santana Soares, van Hees, Yow. There are additional players like Alejandre, Las, Scally that you'd think are likely in but are fairly quiet when it comes to social media.

Here's some more info on new U17 player Rickson van Hees, the Arizona native who plays for Dutch side NEC.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/rickson-van-hees-at-n-e-c-nijmegen.2092461/

I had mentioned Danny Robles because he had flown in to Tampa with Lakewood Ranch close by, but perhaps it's coincidental and he's on vacation.

USSoccerNova and TimB4Last repped this.
  16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he is not released because is not a Mexican camp.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U-17 camp roster:

1081238161659973633 is not a valid tweet id

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Durkin is listed as a defender. There are only two real CBs on the roster AFAIK (Keita and Rogers), so it seems like Ramos might be giving him a hard look on the back line.

Is Mark Salas a right back?

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Very importantly, this is actually the second Germany-based player named "Maximilian" called up during this U17 cycle. Follow the YA forum and (almost) never be surprised by a callup! And it's free!

ChuckMe92, TheFalseNine and mike4066 repped this.
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt has Rickson van Hees as a midfielder, but also lists him as having played left back multiple times for NEC. The US has him as a defender.

21. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Soccer press release here with full rosters for all 3 teams.

22. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    The U19 team list is completely strange

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    How so?

The only strange one for me there is why Julian Araujo is with the U19s and not U20s.

Other than that, the U19s are usually a holding pen for kids we want to keep in the USYNT pool but aren't quite a part of the U20s. There are players amongst those U19s that have the ability with a really nice camp to push themselves into U20 reckoning. If players like Roberts, Sands, Watts, etc. play well...............then maybe they're moved up to the U20s next.

24. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    With strange I mean some names that are few recurrent. I like to see players like Palomino, Roberts, Aaronson, Araujo or Hundley in this call, but what I find strange is to see players like Sousa, Malone, Ferri, George or Terrazas. On the other hand, in the defense I think that Arteaga, Bailey or Ritaccio could have been called. The center in general I think it's good, but strange to see Goslin or Acosta and the forwards I think it's the worst, George is not a recurrent in the U-18 team and his numbers this season are low for a YNT call. I think that, instead of George, they could have summoned Hoppe, Gómez, Díaz, Stojanovic or without going so far to Issa Rayyan, who is one of the best freshmen.
    If you are right in saying that the U19 is used only as a base for the U20 team, but considering the good players who were born in 2000 and 2001, I think the list is a bit disappointing.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Durkin was moved from dmid to defender in final game of u17's which we lost with Durkin putting in the performance of a "dmid trying to re-adjust all his instincts for cb position". Tab did the same with EPB in the final game we lost, moving hi8m from dmid to cb.

I'm getting tired of it. What's the point? Has MLS told him to move Durkin to cb so he will not go to Europe?

The guy who plays good cb is Lindsey.