U-20 team analysis

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by superdave, May 27, 2019.

1. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    And Sands can’t pass. He’s a poor-mans Besler at CB for a decade. That’s cool. But nothing more.

2. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    For those that know, does this U20 WC cap tie dual nationals?

I think Fagundez was cap tied to Uruguay for playing a youth tournament that is why he couldn't switch later to the US.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    There others much more knowledgeable on this... but my understanding is that it provisionally ties the player. The player can still file a one time switch. Fagundez's problem was he still wasnt a US citizen when he played for Uruguay, so never eligible for us.

STR1 and deejay repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You didn't answer my question. If you haven't seen him play this role, how can you know he doesn't have the capability for the position?

Almost every team in Europe plays with a #10 in some capacity. Bayern has two players that they typically use in that position. Sometimes its James who is more of a traditional #10 and sometimes its Muller who is more of a secondary striker.

Taking out of the conversation whether he can pass (I strongly disagree), if he can't pass, he's certainly not a poor-man's Besler. Besler has been the best passing CB in MLS during his career.

5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    My Mendez comp = Juninho Pernambucano

6. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U20 WC, U20 WCQ, U17 WC, and U17 WCQ provisionally cap tie players. So do official Euro competitions and stuff like that. That means that, if a player ever wants to switch to a different national team, he has to file a "one-time switch", meaning he can never go back.

I'm not 100% sure about Fagundez, but my understanding is that his situation falls under a special case of the rule where if you become provisionally cap-tied, you can never switch to a country of which you gained eligibility after that provisional cap-tie. For example, Konrad de la Fuente playing for us in his tournament provisionally cap-tied him to the US, meaning he can one-time switch to Haiti at the U23 or senior team level if he wants to, but he'll never be able to play for Spain because he isn't yet eligible to play for them. The same thing happened to Fagundez.

Sufjan Guzan and STR1 repped this.
  7. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    This provisionally capties you. What that means is let's say Soto wants to play for the full Peruvian or Mexican national teams, in order to do so he has to file a one time switch for any callup.

NOW. Let's say that even though he was working towards Peruvian citizenship but didn't have it at the time he played for us in the U-20 World Cup... He would not be allowed to ever play for Peru even if he became a citizen.

The only way to fully be captied is to make that one time switch after a provisional cap tie OR to play in a full men's competitive international match.

STR1 repped this.
  8. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Sorry didn't see your superior explanation lol. yes exactly what he said.

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And I even know why Peruvian citizenship was so hard for him to get. The kid got confused, he is half Chilean.

10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two posts when it could've been 0. What a waste of BigSoccer's server space.

11. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    You have to give Ramos his due, he has managed to learn from his mistake enough to adjust. We cant make this a way one-way street on the accolades. But like I said ( and I am saying this, as in, i dont know shit) when we lost to Ukraine.........the first thing I noticed was just how Mega-talented this team was and we are a very young team. that goal vs Ukraine was WORLD-CLASS level combo play from highly talented players.

And then a bench player comes on and starts against France and runs some circles around them before tiring out. yeah, he was signed by PSV.

On top of this, a healthy program will recognize that there are probably a few if not several U-20 age players who nobody has heard of before, that are going to end up better than most of these players on this team.

USSoccerNova repped this.