U-15 camp (R)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by davide, May 9, 2005.

1. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    The 90s are getting together in Bradenton this week. This group should form the nucleus of the next U-17 team in residency.

At least three of the players have older brothers on youth National teams. Norberto Ochoa is the younger brother of Sammy Ochoa (Tigres/U-20 NT forward). Danny Barrera is the younger brother of Diego Barrera (LMU/U-18 NT MF). Brandon Zimmerman is very likely the younger brother of U-17 forward Preston Zimmerman.

GOALKEEPERS (3):
    Jon Harris (Arlington Heights, Ill.),
    Josh Lambo (Crystal Lake, Ill.),
    Chris Miller (Garland, Texas);

DEFENDERS (9):
    Mykell Bates (Rosevill, Calif.),
    Brice Carr (Mequon, Wis.),
    Mizuki Hamada (Cupertino, Calif.),
    Christian Ibeagha (Edmond, Okla.),
    Ian Kalis (Plano, Texas),
    Brandon Lee (Tenafly, N.J.),
    John Raley (St. Inigoes, Md.),
    Matthew Uy (New Hyde Park, N.Y.),
    Daniel Wenzel (Federal Way, Wash.);

MIDFIELDERS (8):
    Jared Jeffrey (Dallas, Texas),
    David MacVane (Middle Grove, N.Y.),
    Norberto Ochoa (Riverside, Calif.),
    Yannick Salmon (Westbury, N.Y.),
    Brandon Tarr (Knoxville, Tenn.),
    Kirk Urso (Lombard, Ill.),
    Abraham Villon (Garden Grove, Calif.),
    Brandon Zimmerman (Pasco, Wash.);

FORWARDS (7):
    Gary Andrade (West Palm Beach, Fla.),
    Danny Barerra (Thousand Oaks, Calif.),
    Walter Hines (Brooklyn, N.Y.),
    Vincenzo Bernardo (Madison, N.J.),
    C.J. Crooks (West Orange, N.J.),
    Ellis McLaughlin (Seattle, Wash.),
    Sam Redmond (Arden, N.C.).

Games @ IMG Academic Academy

May 11 Clearwater Chargers (4 PM)
    May 12 IMG U-16 (4 PM)
    May 14 U.S. U-17 ’89 MNT (10 AM)
    May 15 IMG U-16 (10 AM)

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    What has happened to one of the greatest names ever, Cheezi Meltz?

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Should be a nice "welcome to residency"

;)

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd guess, little man disease.

Cheezi is significantly lighter as a U15 than Freddy Adu was at the age of 10. Or to put another way, when Cheezi plays at his own age level he gives up more weight than Freddy ever has in any match in Freddy's life, no matter how many age groups Freddy plays up.

5. CoachingTheGame

CoachingTheGame New Member

May 9, 2005
    pleasant prarie
    It is interesting to note that two goalkeepers in the U15 group are from IL. I have had the opportunity to see many of the u15 regional team goalies this past year and believe Jonathan Harris is the only one truly worthy listed and the coaches have missed some outstanding goalies in the regional pools at this age group. As for field players, nice to know there are so many talented brothers of current US National team players. Convenient. A few of the field player picks are interesting since a couple of them have had difficulties with grades and significant behaviors. Not quite sure if any of you have followed some of the Region I, II, III and IV pool events this year, but the regional coaches were continually calling in the same players time and time again while leaving others to have no training or participation in events at all. Then why name these young players to the regional pools to then not give them opportunity to train and develop?

Unfortunately, the more I follow the ODP coaching and training, the more I see how self limiting the program has become and how we are not giving chances to develop our young players in the regions. Years ago, regional pools used to get together for trainings (a radical idea!) not just a tournament or trip to Europe. For some regions, the ODP process has become so political and so full of conflict of interest that it is actually an embarrassment to youth soccer.

Some of the players experiences have been good and others have been horrendous. I have traveled a great deal this year making sure I spent time talking with the players, coaches and parents about their experiences. It is obvious there is need for a serious shake up to the current development and identification system for youth soccer and the traditional ODP. We need to develop youth more regionally then having one National Residency in Bradenton. We need to reach more players from many different backgrounds and give more opportunity at these younger ages. There are millions of dollars of sponsorships, grants and support out there but the organization has to be able and willing to go out there and get it.

It is becoming apparent to me that the more I see our present "youth soccer development" the more I can understand the establishment of alternatives to the seemingly antiquated ODP system. We need to continue to demand excellence of development of youth in soccer in order for the US to be able to compete in a global soccer community. That ability to continue to be able compete will depend on the ability for the current system in place to change with the times, serve the need of many cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds and grow and expand to include more players in a diverse system.

Just one person's humble observations after reviewing the current U15 list for the next Bradenton Camp.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Not if Freddy played in my rec-league. ;) They don't call it the beer gut league for nothin'.

7. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Speaking of brother's of youth nats, is Fro a 92? I thought he was playing with the U-15 team now?

8. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I think this was confirmed by Squash (or someone else) in a previous thread.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I have never seen the young man myself, but I can assure that I have heard more raves from fellow Illini about Josh Lembo than any U14 I can ever recall (Josh is a U14 at the club level, although a U15 by ODP calendar). In particular, I recall a parent from Jonathan Harris's own club talking in great detail about the most amazing young goalkeeper that his son had just faced -- Josh Lembo.

As I also understand the matter, Josh won an NFL punt, pass, & kick competition a few years back while competing 2 years up in age. A bigtime athlete, in other words.

Well, yes -- familiar last names & familiar club names are certainly an advantage in the ODP process.

Can't argue with you on those items.

I wouldn't call them humble. :p

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  12. CoachingTheGame

CoachingTheGame New Member

May 9, 2005
    pleasant prarie
    John R,
    Having seen the IL goalie, Lambo just play a week ago, and seeing him numerous times in the past, I can honestly say I don't know what the National coaches are looking for. Yes, he seems athletic but most premier level regional team goalies are. Other than that, he was making mistakes and had almost no communication with his team, a serious flaw. Perhaps its the good ole Chicago Magic, Matkovich/Hannan connection or that his dad is an odp regional administrator? Too bad so many politics seem to come into play. :(

13. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I'll be in Bradenton beginning Wednesday to cover the team's four scheduled matches.

For a report on some of the Region III players in this group, check here:

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/TrainingGround/1115757764/

The team won a number of matches against youth professional sides from Holland, Belgium and Germany.

When I saw the 90s get together in February they were very impressive as a group. A lot of skilled players in this group.

14. Soulgoal56

Soulgoal56 New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Washington DC Metro
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Fro was invited to the U15 camp in Bradenton, but turned down the invite in favor of staying at school for the run up to final exams. He will be with them after this camp.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wow. Wonder how many kids would do that?

16. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the Potomac Cougar's forward Sesay a '90 ? If so, I am surprised to not see him on this list.

17. emailryoung

emailryoung Member

Feb 6, 2003
    California
    The points CoachingtheGame raises are starting to be addressed. I see that US Club Soccer has a distinct player identification program called ID2.

From their site (http://usclubsoccer.com/main.aspx?sec_id=16&guid=950b0528-93e9-4307-86ac-119227b2f298):

US Club Soccer believes that the ODP is a worthwhile program, which has played an important role in the development of some of our best soccer talent. However, ODP should not be the only avenue for player identification. Program participation numbers and budgets dictate that key players with potential may be overlooked, some cannot afford the expense or time involved. Other non-competitive issues are sometimes factored into the selection process as well.

US Club Soccer, therefore, is revolutionizing the way the country’s top youth players are identified and developed with the id2 program. The program takes a fresh approach to identifying and developing the nation’s best players....

Perhaps this program, or others of its type, will help diversify the process and ultimately the youth selected for Bradenton.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Yeah WTF?

I would never do that.

19. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
  20. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    the Region III 90s or NT 90s?

21. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I think he meant the 90's-NT, Gers has been high on them

22. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
  23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Top Drawer article says several players aren't citizens yet. Does anyone know who that may be?

24. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001

25. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Walter and Sebastian are not related.