Tyler Adams

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is he technically? I ask because I am not someone who watched much of him while in MLS so all I got to see was him in USMNT games, which is not a great sample size. If he is technically strong, which I would assume he is as there aren't a lot of German teams that are going to take on a midfielder who isn't, then the coaches at RBL will make him into a better passer of the ball. The intense pressure in the middle of the park will mold him into a much better player overall.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the future he won't be 19.

4. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The choice of captain comes down to a lot of things fans do not see and is mostly about how his peers in the locker room respond to him. Young captains are rare, but they happen. Maybe the most known is Patrick Vieira. Even at 19, he was deeply respected, and more experienced veterans were willing to follow him.

Whether Adams has the same leadership presence and carry similar respect will determine if and when he gets the armband.

dwsmith1972, Zinkoff, Mahtzo1 and 5 others repped this.
  5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you define Technically strong? I’ve multiple posters/people use different variations of what that means to them. I’m sure there are posters that have watched far more than I. I’ve only caught a few games in the MLS and Campions League myself but that combined with USMNT is enough to see he needs a lot of improvement in that area of his game. I think he can improve it and hope he does. Time will tell but if he’s ever gonna be a lock starter and we’re ever gonna play a better brand of soccer this is a must improve area for him.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    technical skills:
    trapping the ball
    shielding the ball
    passing the ball
    dribbling the ball
    shooting the ball

Jazzy Altidore and ttrevett repped this.
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot rainbows. Kids think if you can do that you're world class.

Honore de Ballsac and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Great to hear that all Adams has to do to become a great player is learn how to pass the ball.

FreekickSmurf and #8or#6 repped this.
  9. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lol I'm probably the biggest Sarri stan on these boards but my God this is a garbage take.

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to elaborate? Kante was horrible with the ball. He’s still not the greatest. You could see how uncomfortable he was with it at his feet, making decisions, switching the field, touch was choppy, reluctant to shoot, I could go on. I watch every single Chelsea game. I’m a huge Kante fan but he was horrible with ball. Being pushed forward this year forced him into a situation he was clearly not comfortable with or prepared for skill set wise. It’s been a huge talking point for many fans and pundits. He’s vastly improved in every one of those categories tho.

11. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #186 chrome_vapors, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Lol sorry but this is overwhelmingly poor evaluation not corroborated by anyone or any metric.

The only thing you've got right is his change in tactical role and individual positioning further up the field this year, a change that has called on him to use his skillset in different ways in the league than in past seasons.

Just because you watch doesn't mean you have insight. To say Kante is or was horrible with the ball until he was coached by Sarri is just trash.

frankburgers, Zinkoff, comoesa and 3 others repped this.
  12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just call this for Chrome Vapors and move on.

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go watch the game. Soccer isn’t a game of metrics.

He was poor in all the areas I stated. He was still a world class player tho. His role and the team systems he played in up to that point didn’t ask him to do anything other than what he was world class at. Sarri isn’t solely responsible for Kante improving. Kante is responsible for that as well. But Sarri changing how Kante was used required him to improve those areas. Working with Sarri made Kante improve overall as a player. If you can’t see that he’s improved his overal game not only this year from last but now from the start of the season then you clearly aren’t watching.

14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Meanwhile I wish Tyler Adams was poor man's Kante. Either way is there any news on him?

15. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've defended your poor observation skills with several well executed straw man arguments. You claim Kante was useless with the ball and a horrible passer until he was coached by Sarri. Anyone with even a marginal understanding of the game would point out how ignorant that take is. No offense.

16. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RB Leipzig don't return from winter break until 1/4. Probably wont be any Tyler Adams news before then. They also have a friendly 1/12.

Marko72 repped this.
  17. #8or#6

#8or#6 Red Card

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 15, 2017
    I don't think he officially belongs to Leipzig until 1/1/19.

tomásbernal repped this.
  18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exaggerations sure but not too far from the truth. He was very very poor with the ball. His growth in that area is 100% related to Sarri. He’s drastically improved. It’s obvious not 100% because of coaching. It never is. It’s partially that his role changed, partially that Sarri spends his time working on that side of the game and partially just Kante being a great player and doing what great players do, improve.

diablodelsol repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    @truefan420 almost has me convinced it's the other way around.

No.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  20. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn’t work that way with the ball at this level and age. Coach can put players in positions tactically to succeed but they spend very little time with players on improving technique. You need to bring it with you.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm not sure how you can call a 19 year old a poor man's Kante when Kante himself debuted in Ligue 2 at 21 years old age.

Marko72 and Patrick167 repped this.
  22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we get Steve Walsh to the US do you think?

His scouting ended up getting Kante, Vardy and Mahrez to Leicester for a combined transfer fee of under $9 million, 1/20th of their combined transfer value on transfermkt.

gunnerfan7, dwsmith1972, Zinkoff and 2 others repped this.
  23. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was just trying to get the conversation back on track, my bad.

TimB4Last repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zinkoff repped this.