Tyler Adams

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, what I'm saying is there is no sane world where anyone believes that Trapp is a superior option to McKennie. Or that McKennie should be left at Schalke right now for any reason. If anything, he needs a break from his club, and should get a chance to recharge with his buddies on the national team.

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this has already been legislated around here, but from what I remember of the Nick Lima role in the last set of friendlies, he played a central role at times, only kind of a nominal right back. We didn't necessarily play a flat back four. This might have been something that Berhalter was developing with Adams in mind.

Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting Werder midfield last game:

Germany Germany Germany
    Turkey

If you are saying that any of our midfielders could slot in to play for Germany um, I can't imagine you'd say that. Turkey maybe, but I would take Nuri Sahin all day long in the middle of the park for us as opposed to Bradley or Trapp.

4. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010

.30 second mark

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that looked like Lima was playing at times very centrally. I could see a good team exploiting us on the right side of defense, and if we turned the ball over by a bad pass out of defense we'd be in trouble. I assume though that Lima's direction was to only move centrally if we had clear possession with no pressure.

6. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    How is that different than the rb overlapping? You may be right but there are 3 guys back and two holding mids ...

We’ll see .. excited to see how the tactics play out

7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He played central, "at times". He had zero touches centrally. Would Adams have zero touches in that role in central positions? Possibly, Bradley never even looked at Lima to pass him the ball.

When Lima did get on the ball, it was out wide or wide but not as wide as Baird. Not unlike where a RB would usually get the ball on offence.

On defense, Lima was a traditional RB in a back 4 in a 4-4-2.

To sum up, Adams would not be used centrally on offense, would be limited to combination play with the winger, and be out of the center of the park on defense. If that is where GB sees him fine. Seems less than ideal to me.

btlove, RalleeMonkey, TMBMiles and 3 others repped this.
  8. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I think that's more Lima and Bradley learning the system.

Did you watch the vid of Henry explaining Man City playing in that system? I think that is the intention... it matches how GB has explained the roles.

9. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010

Think about though. In a four man system, you have the rb overlapping the midfield.... Its the same thing in terms of coverage. The lb in this system becomes a cb... so you always have 3 in the the back.

In most 3 back systems- the CDM falls into the backline so the outside cb can cover that space until the wing backs get back. That is what I would expect the other CDM (Bradley/Trapp for now) do. That means Adams can play as much as a CDM as the game allows.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/8dexqp/nice_tactical_analysis_by_thierry_henry/

Look at that. That is how I think GB intends them to play. It nueters the press when done well.

10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, Wes could go to the new coach they hired a week ago and tell him he'd be happy to stay around during the break and help keep the team above relegation zone. My guess is that they are looking at a strategy of tightening up the defense so they can play for the precious 1 point every week that keeps a falling team like Schalke just above the bottom feeders.

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he could show up for the national team, you know, like a normal national team player who receives a callup.

Pragidealist repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Two of your best!

Roldan > WM
    Trapp > Sahin

ttrevett repped this.
  13. honest trade

honest trade Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lol'ed pretty hard at Trapp being better than Sahin.

btlove, TMBMiles, Jazzy Altidore and 4 others repped this.
  14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You don't think Will Trapp is better than this guy?

honest trade repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Correct: there's two options.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Trapp and Sahin are similar players. It was the reason I thought it was worthwhile comparing the Bremen midifield to our possible USMNT 3 man midfield.

AS far as Roldan v. McKennie. Both are known to have been moved around positionally by their clubs.

In Roldan's case, he always succeeds. When they needed more scoring he went forward and finished well. When they needed an outside back he played there - right or left, didn't mater, he always did just fine. Now he's playing dmid for Seattle with Alonso gone and Seattle have their strongest start ever.

In McKennie's case, they move him around looking for his position and always end up moving him again to find a better position then they move him again, and again...….

Roldan always finds the game; Wes always finds a new problem to deal with.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #568 Jazzy Altidore, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    There’s nothing similar about Trapp and Sabin as to skill or ability.

Weston gets moved around because he’s versatile and one of the best players on a struggling team.

Roldan is an anonymous MLS scrub. He’s never looked good on the national team against even poor quality sides.

btlove repped this.
  19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
  20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Patrick167 repped this.
  21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your enthusiasm. You are a fan like me, and completely entitled to your opinion. I do have a serious question for you though … is it not curious to you that EVERY PERSON INVOLVED WITH US SOCCER (including media) is apparently 100% in the camp of pushing for this move? That doesn't strike you as odd, at all? I came in this literally dismissing the conspiracy theories about the Fed. Thought they were stupid. I figured this was just a single coach making a decision on his own. And I expected debate in the US soccer intelligentsia. But this lock-step marching has me re-thinking this whole thing now. Shouldn't there be someone … ANYONE … who believes that he is mis-using him and willing to debate that position? But not one? Not one single source?

22. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I am betting its actually going to be Bradley, but we'll see. I like this concept a lot for this team. As I've been saying, its puts Adams in an interesting place to make a difference. It puts dual 10's to solve our lack of a real 10. It also puts 3 guys in the back to over for our lack of a left back. It solves a lot of problems.

It also puts 3 guys in the back for a team that wants to possess but has had a problem dealing with the press in the past. It just has a lot of good ideas. We'll see how it works though.

23. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    No- not at all. First- not all are. But those that are really laying it on- are those like me that really like tactics and are reading way over the top complaints on message boards and twitter. And for soccer geeks like me- this is a fun tactical thing to see, talk about, and write about.

Everyone from journalist to coach is saying, its worth a try. And it logically is. I would say the consensus from the intellectual soccer journalists is more confirmation that all the rabid, emotional fans need to take a chill pill. And ultimately, I think that is what most of these journalists are doing.

24. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I dismiss the conspiracy theories because there is no need for a conspiracy. If you want a coach who will act a certain way, you just hire that kind of coach. Hiring a coach and then trying to overtly control hm would be silly and unnecessary. Yes, Gregg Berhalter coaches very much like the higher ups at US soccer would like him to coach. Considering they hired hm, that's basically to be expected. They are very likely just on the same page with a whole lot. I would never hire someone who hated all my ideas and wanted to do everything the complete opposite and neither would the people at US soccer.

Patrick167 repped this.