Two Clubs Playing Each Other in Consecutive Games at the Same Site

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by EvanJ, Oct 10, 2018.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia ends the regular season at NYCFC. If Columbus gets the 3, NYCFC gets the 4, and Philadelphia gets the 5, Philadelphia will start the playoffs at NYCFC. That requires this to happen:

Game 33: NYCFC loses at D.C., Philadelphia loses hosting Red Bulls, and Columbus wins at Orlando
    Game 34: Philadelphia wins at NYCFC and Columbus wins hosting Minnesota

Clubs played each other in consecutive games at the same site in the 1996 playoffs. Does anybody know if it has happened since then?

2. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago Fire vs. Dallas Burn (2001)
    Saturday September 8th at Chicago (Soldiers Field)
    Thursday September 20th at Chicago (Soldiers Field)

henryo and EvanJ repped this.
  3. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2018-10-11_11-48-44.jpeg

Union are NOT finishing 5th! We're coming for 3rd NYCFC!

4. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    henryo and EvanJ repped this.
  5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's happened a whole bunch of times if you include the US Open Cup. I believe the most recent is LAFC hosting Portland on July 15, 2018 in the MLS regular season and July 18, 2018 in the US Open Cup.

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Houston Dynamo once played at DC United on July 19, 2008 in the SuperLiga and then played them in a league game four days later on July 23 also at RFK.

There were some extenuating circumstances. That league game was originally scheduled for June 4 but was abandoned after 15 minutes due to lightning and heavy rain. It was then rescheduled for July 22 since the Dynamo were already going to be in DC. The July 22 game was also postponed due to a power outage in the neighborhood but they did manage to get it in on July 23 despite another 3 hour delay due to heavy rain, power outages, and lightning in the 2nd half.

Houston won the SuperLiga game 1-3 and then the league game 0-2.

henryo, sitruc and EvanJ repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now can you name a time when two teams played two games at the same time?

Answer (open)
    Back in 2000(?) the Rapids and Mutiny had a league match scheduled in Tampa Bay on the same day as the next round of the USOC. They just "happened" to get drawn against each other for that round of the USOC and it was decided that the game would count in both competitions. This could have been a problem since the competition used different overtime rules and I think even different substitution rules. Luckily for US Soccer the Mutiny scored right near the end of the game to avoid ending the 90 minutes tied and forcing the organizers to reveal how they were going to deal with the conflicting rules,

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More recently than 2000, I thought games used to count in MLS and as U.S. Open Cup qualifiers before all MLS clubs were invited.

Can you name a time when a game was played by one team? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_&_Mary_Tribe_football,_2000–09#2003 says:

"William & Mary only played 10 games compared to the regular 11-game season due to a cancellation of the Maine contest, which had been scheduled for September 27. The presidents of the Atlantic 10 Football Conference awarded the University of Maine a victory and the College of William & Mary a no-contest as a result of the cancellation of their game. The decision of the presidents, based upon the recommendation of the league's directors of athletics, was unprecedented in Atlantic 10 Football Conference history. Factored into the decision were Maine's efforts to play the game and the understanding of the unique circumstances facing William & Mary in the aftermath of Hurricane Isabel. However, the NCAA does not recognize the win in their official records."

The standings on Wikipedia do not have the game counted for Maine, but the standings in the Colonial Athletic Association (formerly the Atlantic 10 for Football) Media Guide have it as a win for Maine.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qualifiers, yes, but the Rapids-Mutiny game wasn't a qualifier.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am disappointed something wasn't worked out so Valderrama played a half for each team (though I know Colorado was still in his future).

JasonMa repped this.
  11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't trying to say that the Rapids-Mutiny game was a qualifier, but I can see why you interpreted it that way. I was trying to say that there were qualifiers also.

Philadelphia will play consecutive games at NYCFC.

JasonMa repped this.