Tuscon Diamond Cup (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Feb 18, 2012.

1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do the Academy Awards have to do with killing Jews? :confused:

2. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not killing, per se, but it's still a callous and offensive suggestion

3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's referring to the incident in November(?) when a bunch of idiots vandalized a neighborhood in antisemitic fashion in LA on the anniversary of kristallnacht. I didn't watch the awards, so I have no idea.

4. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think it was a reference to the host Billy Crystal.

5. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to assume you're right. (Occam's Razor.) But holy crap was that an incredibly-poorly-thought-out way to make an Academy Awards joke.

Seriously. That'd be like signing Jeremiah and then hanging a banner that said "White Power" and hoping people got the reference.

6. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I like Sene, but I'm not sold that he's our answer to the 'need' we have for a finisher we still need to replace Taylor Twellman.

7. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    points for creativity.

For me, It's not Twellman that we need to replace, so much as the Twellman concept - the idea that we could have one competent forward, and depend on him exclusively for years at a time. We need four forwards, all of whom can play. As of now, I'm willing to say we have 2 - Sene and Fagundez. We're still down 2 with less than 2 weeks before the start of the season. Of Rundstrom, Purdie, and Brettschneider, the work rate has been great, but even if we keep 2 of these, we need another forward with scary skill, who can score goals. If that turns out to be Moreno, good for us, but we're not there yet by a long shot. (no pun intended).

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because he hasn't finished anything. Several good looks and nothing to show for it. Probably only a matter of time but this team really does not have time to spare

9. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't resist sharing this.

Can Soccer Heal Tucson's Wounds?

I didn't know they didn't have baseball spring training anymore. It makes me wonder if some MLS teams might consider making Tucson their pre-season home.

10. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There is a lot of talk about MLS in general using the facilities there and doing a bigger preseason there in years to come. Even some NASL and USL teams are looking into it. At the NSCAA convention I heard a lot of talk about there and San Diego. We'll see I guess.

11. Camden

Camden Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Maine
  12. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't follow the link, but the URL has the strange title: Fighting-drugs-border-violence-Arizona-organ-pipe-cactus.

Sounds like 8 easy steps to the best Bachelor Party you'll never remember!

1 person likes this.
  13. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wasn't that the plot for Very Bad Things?

14. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tucson isn't dangerous. Yes, its dangerous if you go to the south side past midnight, but that's a standard in every city.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    They're having a hard time attracting biz and tourists because of their nutcase politics.

It never seemed like a dangerous place to me in the 5 or 6 times I've been there. U of A is a nice campus, the "city" is kind of a sleepy place, there's beautiful Saguaro desert surrounding the area and lots of retirement communities springing up all the time (and a really cool "mothballed" aircraft site).

Even the requisite border town of Nogales didn't seem too bad (although I didn't wander off the main streets!) when I was there, but maybe it's gotten worse.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp :p

17. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Tucson's politics are generally nutcase. Arizona, yes, but not Tucson. Besides what happened to Gabby Giffords. In fact, I would suspect that a lot of the opposition to the immigration laws passed in Phoenix is centered around Tucson, which, I think, tends to skew a lot more liberal than the rest of the state.

But I also don't think politics is the thing stopping business growth there. I think the housing bust hit pretty hard there.

Be that as it may, it sounds like a great time for a few enterprising MLS teams to launch training facilities there.

19. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    maybe he was talking about nutcase lefto's

20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, that's what I meant.
    A little too far off the beaten track, IMO. Ideally you'd like a place that would attract fans to preseason - I'm not sure Tucson can do that.

21. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fond of Tucson, since my wife has family there and we visit frequently, so I'm biased.but I think from a fans perspective it would work fine. It's warm and there's plenty to do. (The rodeo was last week) It's not the middle of nowhere. It's just next to it.

22. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pima County (Tucson) is one of the few blue counties in the whole state. AZ as a whole only benefits from what the people in Maricopa County want. That why the Phoenix area keeps expanding with brand new highways and billion dollar factories, while Tucson keeps growing with no clear cut path.

23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I want in a preseason location is warm weather, nice inexpensive places to stay, good playing facilities, easy access by air and a lots of games. Tuscon fits the bill. I'm already planning to venture there this time next year.

24. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Are you bringing your professional team with you?

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, you want in?