Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    These NBC, ESPN and Turner plans are focused at such a tiny audience though. It's a big deal to us that this is happening, but how many Americans are going to pay to access 3rd, 4th, 5th choices from a UEFA matchweek? Easy to make a niche audience double-dip, but we'll see if they get the cajones to do this with the NBA or NFL.

2. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Can see it now. 2020 and I'm paying the same for tv/internet as I do now, but in a much more inconvenient way as I have to bob and weave in and out of different apps/platforms.

Kryptonite and JayRockers! repped this.
  3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    No shit! This is what all the hipster cord-cutting is leading too. You'll pay the same, have les choices and have to watch on your phone. Or buy yet another device to attach to your TV to stream.

It's a ********ing scam!

Thx,

Jay!

Kryptonite and bigtw64 repped this.
  4. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    The NFL and NBA are highly rated programs with lots of advertising dollars behind them.

There is no need to go streaming only because they make a lot of money from TV.

There is no money to be made from these 80% of CL matches so they are trying to get the die hard to pay something to recoup their investment. If 20,000 diehards pay 50 dollars for these, that's an extra million dollars in revenue.

I can see why they do it.

5. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Even if cord cutting stops, the cable operators have decided to get into the streaming game.

They were late to the party, but they have started to regroup.

Bottom line, niche sports aren't being given away for free anymore. They are slowly being streamed and monetized.

The fragmentation (i.e. different apps) is a byproduct.

I'm in my 40's and grew up on 13 inch televisions. That I can watch a football match from anywhere on my iPad is a great thing. I am old school but took to steaming quickly.

It's going to be the way forward, no going back now.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The funny thing I have in my mind right now is the thought of people saying I miss the days of FOX and Gus Johnson. At least I could watch those matches on TV.

Redbullsnation2012 and JayRockers! repped this.
  7. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turner Sports is ARROGANT. They believe that millennials will be willing to pay for English-language world feeds when Spanish-language video feeds will be available for FREE via UniMas, UnivisionDeportes.com, and Univision Deportes app

Redbullsnation2012 and daniloni repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #58 HomietheClown, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    The only drawback to Univision is that ( I don't think) they have archived OnDemand options yet on their website and apps.

That may change in the future, but as of now you may only be able to view their digital platform games live while Turner will probably have them anytime for you to download/stream at your convenience.

9. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    until they go the pay route as well.

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NBA and NFL are on channels owned by multiple companies, and I doubt they can choose to charge people to watch online. I would think the NBA and NFL would have networks sign contracts including rules about if and how the games can be shown online.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see this happening anytime soon.
    Spanish Language Networks know that the majority of their viewers still love to watch things on actual television.

12. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzo repped this.
  13. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They got the NBA dudes doing March Madness .....are the NBA guys gonna be doing the Champions League as well? lol

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe they can bring in Pau Gasol and Tony Parker.

16. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I imagine there will be cross-promotion....all of the non US-born NBA players are probably soccer fans

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    OR someone like Kobe Bryant who lived in Europe.and follows Barca.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    FAQ on Bleacher Report Live, the new home of the UEFA Champions League online in USA
    http://worldsoccertalk.com/2018/03/...ve-new-home-uefa-champions-league-online-usa/

So according to this article the NBA will offer their league pass games through this Turner Paywall app much like ESPN is planning to do with Baseball and Hockey.
    The difference here though is that there will be a discount if you purchase the NBA games through the app. (That is even more convenient and more of an incentive to get this app and I wish the same would apply for Baseball and ESPN)

19. Gyro62

Gyro62 Member

Jan 1, 2017
    A Turner owned company, Esporte Interativo in Brazil has acquired the rights to some of the Brazilian League games for 2019, I wonder if those games are going to show up on this site?

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Who knows? They also have the rights to Argentine soccer in Argentina. I am hoping maybe some of those will be available too.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  21. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Seems like br live is now active and they appear to have some Polish league games? Doesn't seem to be working all that fluidly on my work computer, though.

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since my work schedule changed a couple years ago, this was the first UEFA CL season I missed in entirety, outside the final.

Because of such, I've relied on the UEFA CL Magazine Show.

The audio mixing is terrible. Background music not being in the background! The translator being as loud as a player speaking in native tongue!

I'm not sure I'll miss this show.

23. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's produced by UEFA so it may be coming with us to Turner :)

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    More than likely on their stupid app.

Hopefully the Spanish version will be on Unimas or UDN.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am surprised no one has mentioned that Turner has hired someone.

…Renowned soccer broadcaster Kate Abdo was announced as a studio host for Turner and Bleacher Report’s UEFA Champions League coverage, beginning with the upcoming 2018-19 season. Abdo will be the primary host for UEFA Champions League studio shows originating from Turner Studios in Atlanta, with studio coverage airing across Turner’s television networks (TBS, TNT, and/or truTV). Abdo brings a wealth of experience across the international stage — having previously covered soccer’s top events including UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League, FIFA Men’s and Women’s World Cup, the English Premier League, England’s FA Cup, Germany’s Bundesliga, Spanish La Liga, and Italy’s Coppa Italia. She has also twice hosted the FIFA Ballon d’Or Awards. The popular and accomplished broadcaster currently serves as a studio host for Fox Sports’ soccer programming including the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia…
    https://www.sportsvideo.org/2018/06/01/behind-the-mic/