Turner/Univision win UCL rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by IU Gooner, Feb 24, 2017.

1. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Yeah, I guess I am really underestimating the Mexican pull if they've chosen Lozano over it and I didn't think Atletico Madrid against a relative minnow would be more appealing than the 2nd tastiest matchup of the day.

2. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I could make the argument that Napoli-Liverpool is the best matchup of the day (though it's probably more of a purest one, Napoli don't have the pull that Messi does)

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think the PSV v Inter game is being aired on TV. I'm streaming that match right now since I couldn't find it.

https://www.univision.com/deportes/...ternazionale-uefa-champions-league-2018-10-03

4. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Redbullsnation2012 and SupaMario repped this.
  5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks!

6. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It's fairly obvious why Univision would want to air the Barca match. Plus Univision and TNT are completely separate entities, so it doesn't behoove either to make a decision based on the other's selection of matches. They're not in cahoots just because both have CL rights (in different languages). If both feel Barca-Tottenham will get more eyeballs than the other matches, that's what they'll show.

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Univision and Univision Deportes are airing it. There is no need to air the match on both channels.

8. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    If you don't live in an area that gets Univision, you can watch it on UDN. That's why they did that. Not every market has Unvision.

QPR Kevin H and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You would think that Deportes would be the channel that isn't in every area. But the network should be aware of what area receives Univision and if it does, then they should show two different games. Similar to how they show certain College football games depending on region.

10. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I have no idea what the point of that is. It doesn't seem like a Univision Deportes viewer would lack access to Univision.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  11. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I enjoyed the Tottenham - Barca game on DVR last night; but I wish the halftime and post game show had more highlights of other games and less talk. I can get debates about weather ManU should fire Mo or how good Messi is from countless other sources - podcasts, the ESPNFC show, etc... They own the coverage- I want to see highlights.

12. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    On Matchday 1 I DVR'd the post-match shows on both TNT and Univision Deportes. After that experience I only recorded UDEP's one hour post-match "Misión Europa" yesterday. I'd rather watch highlights of every Champions League match that was just played in a language I cannot fully understand than a 30 minute show in English that has more talk than highlights.

EvanJ, NorthBank and AlbertCamus repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    On the Contrary.
    Dish Network subscribers for the last few months have only had access to UDN and not Univision.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree.

But for every person like us who wants to see highlights and spoilers there's people who do not want to see highlights and spoilers.

And I also figure that BR wants people to go on their site/apps and watch highlights and such.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  15. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Even for a normal work hours competition like the Champs League for the US audience, I don't think it's 50/50. The no spoilers crowd for any sport (other than maybe Olympics every couple years) is very small. They're just vocal :)

TJNash repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I meant to say around here on this message board.
    Not in reality. :p

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  17. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Think their site stopped allowing watching the spillover streams without authentication. Thought it was maybe a mistake yesterday for Napoli/Liverpool, but it's not working today for the Europa games. Damn.

18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So true. I'm going to do that next week.

19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's fair, and can explain half time. And also not having scores running in the corner during play. But at the end of the game they could do highlights. If someone is really watching more than one of the games, they could switch over before the post game show gets going.

20. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Yeah, they're already doing highlights. They're just awful at them.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I obviously wouldn't have guessed that. Univision is essentially basic/local cable in California, but I suppose cable/satellite providers have to get creative with packages to make money these days. And streaming services have to be selective about what channels to pay for.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NCAA Football used to be regionalized on ABC, but it isn't anymore. Sometimes two games are on ABC and ESPN2, with which game on which channel depending on the market. You shouldn't expect a national cable channel like Univision Deportes to show one game in markets that get Univision and one game in markets that don't get Univision. It would make it confusing for fans. Can you find an example of a game in any sport played outside the USA being shown on a national cable channel in some markets but not others?

23. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    NBC used to do it with Olympics all the time until last 10 years.

24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am not sure how that would confuse fans. Having the same game shown on two channels under the same network is a waste.

25. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they’ve announced that they’ll show 3 games on TV during that match window. So while it’s disappointing that they aren’t showing 4, they didn’t stray from there announced plans by showing the same game on two networks. Compare with Turner who has three channels and is only showing one game per window.