News: Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by El Chico Carmona, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was too pre-occupied with the "Don't Move the Quakes" movement to worry about KC

AndyMead repped this.
  2. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Team's owning their stadium are less likely to move, any MLS teams who are renting a stadium should be prime for relocation.

3. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if you have paid attention in this thread, but it did not start by me arguing that San Diego is the most deserving candidate city, or that it's an amazing sport city. It was merely to fight against an argument that San Diego is riding the coattails of MLS' success, that the city has not seriously attempted to get MLS during less stable times, and that it's a poor sports city. None of those things are true. I'm not arguing anything more or anything less. Unless you are agreeing with Bill Archer that San Diego is a "pathetic, non-sport supporting city" then I don't believe we disagree on too much. You are arguing against something that isn't there on my part.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two of them are certainly true, unless there was an ownership group of which I am unaware that was legitimate during the lean years.

5. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I genuinely don't know how I can make this point any less complicated.

1. We wanted Chivas USA. No, it wasn't our own billionaire, but San Diego is short on billionaires who spend on sports franchises.

2. The city of San Diego is not riding anybody's coattails. There was never going to be any new sports franchise while the Chargers were looking for a new stadium. Simple business. And for the decade before this one, look above to point number 1.

This whole conversation has been bizarre. There was a rant directed toward San Diego as if it were some terrible city that doesn't like sports and where the people collectively gathered together to try to get MLS after intentionally spurning it. This is delusional. I have been a fan of this league, going to matches where I can, watching terrible matches on football fields with terrible TV production quality, evangelizing it everywhere from Australia to Norway, since 1996. I get annoyed here that people seem to attach greater importance on their own fandom as a result of being lucky that a local billionaire decided to make a risky decision in 1996-2002 or so. This argument is not being made to say that the city deserves a team, this argument is being made to say that San Diegans are not coattail riders and have been interested in the league for a while. Does the fact that a city has high TV ratings, attendance rates, youth participation, etc., mean that a franchise would be successful? Absolutely not. Obviously not. But it is somehow managing to be twisted into a negative, which I do not understand at all.

So, with the caveat that I do not believe that San Diego would be the most successful franchise or even that it particularly deserves a team, I will defend the city on the above points.