PBP: Trump vs Clinton - Battle in Hofstra: Holy crap what have we done

Discussion in 'Elections' started by appoo, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I suppose those are topics.

puttputtfc and American Brummie repped this.
  3. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm inclined to believe this wont be the firework show a lot of people think it'll be, Trump for the most part avoided gaffes in the 1900 GOP Debates, except for the time he talked about his wang, but I don't see Clinton bringing that up like Marco did.

It's also crazy to be grading on such a curve that a major party nominee bringing up the size of his penis in a presidential debate triggers nothing more than a meh reaction from me.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as Trump doesn't have his actual pants around his actual ankles at any point in the proceedings, there will be talking heads on my teevee telling me that he was "presidential," if if he's just given us his usual word salad filled with vague, hand-waving, self-contradictory promises.

5. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://lwv.org/press-releases/league-refuses-help-perpetrate-fraud

This was back in 1988. it has only gotten worse since. And those that don't want Johnson on that stage are just as bad.

6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    A fraud? So it's better to never have the two candidates on the same stage, directly addressing one another? These debates are the only time that will ever happen. Without the debates it's nothing but mass media bullshit.

mbar repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets remember, these are not actual "debates".

It is basically 2 people espousing talking points one after the other.

Boloni86 repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, the ideal format would be Trump and Hillary asking each other questions.

MatthausSammer and fatbastard repped this.
  9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    No they aren't real debates, but it's as close as we are going to get.

10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I expect both sides will "play it safe" and make it lower key. Of course Trump could throw the playbook out the window, but we'll see.

11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all it is now.

Johnson's support should have put him on the stage. The reason he isn't is because both parties are afraid of having part of their support siphoned off.

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I imagine everyone here can find better use of their time on Monday.

fatbastard repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean exercise.

Dr. Wankler and uclacarlos repped this.
  14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not watching the debate. It will be content-free, as is everything that is touched by Donald Trump. The only item of interest is how people view this content-free exchange, which I won't learn by watching the debate. If The Economist covers with a live blog, I will follow along with that.

15. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I spat out my cereal when I read this.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    James Fallows writes up a in-depth debate preview every four years. Haven't read the latest installment yet (it's on the list for the weekend), but I've read them all in the past. They're always worth reading. Here's a link:

When Donald Meets Hillary - The Atlantic

17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm definitely leaning towards not watching. These debates are turning into a shallow cash grab for the networks.

The first clue that the whole thing is a joke is the fact that they have live audiences. Live audiences serve no purpose to what is ostensibly a civics exercise. Audiences favor the candidate that knows how to work a crowd. The enthusiastic applauses, the groans, the occasional booing all play into this reality TV aspect of who's winning and who's losing.

I'd feel more inclined to watch if it was a more intimate academic setting like a Charlie Rose interview. The debates as we have them today do very little to educate voters. If anything it confuses us more because there's is no factual framework. It's like watching a soccer game with no goals, no lines on the field, no score keeping ...

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    IIRC, for the Obama-Romney (or was it Obama-McCain?) debates there was a live audience, but they were asked to keep quiet with the exception of the introduction of both candidates, where they applauded. That's okay IMO.

19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I hope they tell those people to zip it. They sure didn't in most of the primary debates ...

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #20 MatthausSammer, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    That's not the point of a debate though IMO. The factual framework is the responsibility of the individual voter. The responsibility of a debate is to see in real time what each candidate's answers to critical issues are and then force each candidate to try and contrast their answer with their opponent's in a favorable light in real time.

Let's say that Trump states that the sky is green. Hilary responds with her position that the sky is blue. The purpose of a debate isn't really to educate the voter on what color the sky is, the purpose is to see the position of each candidate and the arguments for and against each position the candidates bring forth, and allow the voter to decide whether the sky is actually blue or green.

21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The primary debates are, IIRC, put together by the networks. The general election debates are put together by the Commission on Presidential Debates. Two different entities with two different ideas of what makes a good debate. At least, that's my understanding.

22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Fair enough ... I guess I was longing for a more intimate and in depth process that is a hybrid between a debate and an interview.

But even if we're talking a straight up traditional debate, what we have falls short.

First of all a moderator needs to set a clear parameters of what we're discussing. It's not enough for a moderator to lob a question and let the debater do as they wish. You need a clear, specific and consistent topic. You can't just ask 'what would you do about Syria?' That's too broad and open ended.

Once the parameters of that topic are set you need to enforce rule #1 of debating : He who asserts must prove! In other words when you make a claim like NAFTA was a disaster you have to give some reference as to what the assertion is based on. Whether it's a congressional study, an academic study, a think tank study or just basic facts as best as you know them like how many jobs were lost, how much GDP was lost etc ... Basically any substance that the viewer can reference if they're interested. If the debater is unwilling to prove their assertion, it's the moderator's job to ask a follow up question.

And that leads me to another rule that I'd like to see enforced ... Stay on topic! If the debater is still unwilling to try to prove their assertion after the follow up question you cut them off and move on. It's also important that rebuttal time only get used to counter specific things that the last debater said. You can't change the subject and interject unrelated talking points. This is what leads to confusion. If you can't use your rebuttal time correctly you lose it.

Of course a more forceful moderation will just offend the mouth breathers because whenever they don't understand something it must be the lame stream media conspiracy with their big words and facts ... Me on the other hand I belong to Walter Sobchak school of debating ... " Mark it zero Donny!!! Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules!"

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Trump will doubtlessly show up for the first debate.

Reading this
    , I'm thinking 50/50 he shows up for the second.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So Trump is the green-sky candidate? I can see that.

25. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands